Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 locks

I often see my 2 spotteds trying to open the sliding glass door to thier enclosures :shock: Who says pythons arent intelligent..... I reckon you can see it in thier eyes they are 'thinking' and can learn to do simple tasks (like how a door works) :lol:

My hatchy BHP has outsmarted me twice now and managed to escape his click clack. First time he was missing for 24hrs, thought he was a gonner for sure. Second time I found he had escaped just as he got out and he was soon found. I will never take a risk with a questionable click clack ever again!

I don't know if this is a mistake or whatever you want to call it but I put too many snakes in one 3ft enclosure. They are all between one and two yrs old, somewhat small in size because I control their diets (I want them to kind of age as natural as possible, not be overfed and grow too large too quick atm). I blame my Bredli, shes so companionable that the other three will not part with her, they pine when ever I take them away from her

OHH..oh...ahh...my..sides..ouch..argh...

I remember you mentioning in another thread that a friend/purchaser of yours was tagged by one of your hatchy vens...
...does that mean you did it on purpose?
It's actually his hatchy now and I didn't didn't get tagged so how is it my stuff up, if you get bitten is that my fault to

The biggest mistake I have made was horrifying. I cooked my Bearded Dragon alive. He was taken outside for some natural UV so he would be nice and strong to mate hours later. The enclosure outside was a big one, and I had fastened a towel over half of the enclosure so that he could escape the heat. It was not a windy day. I sat with him for a while reading a book. About 15 minutes later I went inside. When I came back out 20 minutes later, I found that the towel had blown off the enclosure, and my Bearded dragon was stiff as a brick, his snout and mouth were blackened. The guilt was intense. I had my L's at the time, stole my parents car and drove 40 minutes to the Exotic reptile vet in Crows nest. Driving with one hand, using a syringe to get electrolytes into his mouth with my other hand. It was too late by the time I got to the Vet. I quit my reptile hobby after this for over two years so ashamed of what I had done, and too scared that I would kill again. It was a horrible learning experience.

There is no such thing as too experienced to stuff up. Keeping animals is a lifetime experience. There is always something new to learn about them. So don't consider yourself safe from stuff ups just because you've had snakes for a few years or more.

I lost a 6ft snake from not closing the door properly, three years ago. To this day I have never seen him once.

One of these threads pops up every couple of months...

"We're being treated unfairly! You're all mean!"

"Then stop asking questions like, 'what should I name my snake?' and we're cool."

"No, I was brave enough to ask it on the internet, therefore it's important and you're offensive."

Newbies become somewhat more experienced, next wave of newbies come in, and the circle of life continues onwards.

Spoiler: I don't make mistakes, I'm perfect.

To be honest, I dont think the thread is a bad idea... repetitive? maybe? I have only been here for 12 months.... perhaps I am unqualified to answer as I might still be classed as a "newbie"? However at the risk of sounding mealy mouthed I will add that I find it would help other new comers to the reptile world to know others have made mistakes, even the hierarchy of the forum. It also helps people learn and that I thought is why we're all here? welllll for the most part lol I get for long timer's it maybe tedious and repetitive, there is always the option of not reading the post. Just scroll(not troll ha ha ha)on by.........

i agree with crystalmoon...

when my spotted was only 3-4 months i found her squeezed in the gap half way up the side of the window, lucky the window was closed at the time. turns out i left the sliding door open by about 1cm.
funny thing is, i was sitting in front of that window for ages without realising she was there.

yes I made a mistake..... I trusted the local vets when they said they could help with my bluetongue. Learnt the hard way

One of the worst mistakes I made was over 12 years ago & to this day still haunts & hurts when I reflect on it.
I customised a wardrobe to house my 6ft carpet...she was one of the most placid & well tempered snakes I've ever had.
Anyway I built a wooden hide-box at one end of the enclosure & for some reason I decided to cut out a triangular entrance/hole. I guess I didn't have a jig-saw to cut a circular hole or even curve the arch out of the triangular hole I made....

Well my carpet lived in that enclosure for a good 8 months with no issues at all until that sad fateful afternoon.
She'd crawled half way into the hide box & then for some reason decided to crawl back out...the entrance being triangular in shape she got stuck, wedged in the entrance & the more she struggled the tighter the fit became & she suffocated to death.
It still pains me imagining what she went through.

The most important lesson I learnt was to keep my enclosures in plain view such as the living room rather than keeping it in a spare room that I wouldn't frequent as often.

It's actually his hatchy now and I didn't didn't get tagged so how is it my stuff up, if you get bitten is that my fault to

I don't even see how getting tagged by a hatchie is a problem. ****, the Bredli I just bought off a guy here tagged me because I absent-mindedly put my hand in his strike zone. It was entirely my fault but it was also entirely adorable to see this tiny little bredli gettin all threatening to my hand. I picked him BECAUSE he bit me - strong personalities in animals are great.

the one mistake iv made was when i was going to buy my first snake. it was sold to me as a 'jungle' on the movement advice it says its a bredli, but honest to god i got no idea what is is some type of hybrid. id done my research but when i went to pick the snake up i knew it was a carpet, but i wasnt sure i thought it might of been a jungle that just hadn't " coloured up yet"
any way i just call him dakota.
besides that im doing good :D

the one mistake iv made was when i was going to buy my first snake. it was sold to me as a 'jungle' on the movement advice it says its a bredli, but honest to god i got no idea what is is some type of hybrid. id done my research but when i went to pick the snake up i knew it was a carpet, but i wasnt sure i thought it might of been a jungle that just hadn't " coloured up yet"
any way i just call him dakota.
besides that im doing good :D

do u have a pic of him?

Today I was cleaning out my Jungle's 4 week old enclosure, and I decided I'd set it up a bit differently. The stick I had in there was moudly, so I chopped some bamboo and all was good. At this stage I had completely set it up.
So I put the bamboo in, well.. Forced. And then bam, one side of the enclosure completely burst out.
Thank god it had happened when my jungle was in a container, and the enclosure was still on the ground.
So now I have some Styrofoam in on the inside. A perfect fit. And cardboard on the outside.
It's only his temporary cage, as he's still young. But I think it'll work well, especially as it will hold in heat better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back