Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Choose somthing you can keep and look after WELL ! If this is the 1st snake in years i would suggest get a diamond. Then move on to the big boys. :p (even though diamonds get BIG )

It's great to love something for what they are!

But it's also unadvisable to keep something just because it's the biggest, it may turn around and bite you in the a**

Last edited:
i wouldnt waste ur time on helping an immature teenager who thinks she could handle a scrubbie let her go but shes the one who is gonna suffer the consequences after shes bitten by an adult scrubbie she proves that ppl cant fix stupid or ignorant :D

I'm not sure if someone has said this, I would be surprised if they hadn't.

NSW has put scrub pythons on class 2 license to stop inexperienced people from keeping scrubbies in this state. Your location says Sydney.

Due to your age and your experience, it doesn't sound like you have a class 2. To get a class 2 license, you need to be over 18 years of age, and have had your class 1 license 2 years.

If you don't believe me, it is on page 3 at this link, scrub pythons are listed under class 2 species, it also tells you what you have to do to get your class 2 license.
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/PDFs/reptile_licensing_outline_Aug04.pdf

Some experienced people have given you some good advice, most people don't like keeping a snappy snake, which is why when newer people get a scrubby they don't have one for long. They want a snake that they can handle and will 'like' them, not a snappy snake. Then there is all the other stuff which I won't repeat, but it is good advice. This is coming from someone (me) that had a scrub python very shortly after I got my license...it's just not that straight forward and you will find most of the people that are saying it is have never kept the species.

Anyway, all that doesn't matter as you aren't licensed to be able to keep one.

Last edited:
i wouldnt waste ur time on helping an immature teenager who thinks she could handle a scrubbie let her go but shes the one who is gonna suffer the consequences after shes bitten by an adult scrubbie she proves that ppl cant fix stupid or ignorant :D

I do think this is a bit of a harsh comment. If she meets therequirements for the licenc and wants to have one then tha is her right. She asked for advice to be given NOT jammed. settle people, some of you don't seem to realise that even if you have good advic people wont listen if you say it in a nasty way. I would also like to ask how many of you people giving advice have ever owned or handled a Scrubby???? Not to many I bet. So far there is only a few of us that have and we are the ones giving advice without being nasty about it....Interesting how people like to talk about a subject they know little about ((Scrubby Keepers excluded lol))

ive handled a scrubby and for one i would not have one, two she dont meet the licencing requirements and cause shes been rude to me and alot of others as far as im concerned i do not tolorate ppl who say the things to me that this person did last nite to threaten to hack and I.D theft tsk tsk i stand up for my self and if no one likes the fact i stand up for my self is not at all my problem.....and im not in here talking like i know it all too so u ALL know ive read up on scubbys and ive seen the damage an adult scrubby can do......

Well we have owned them, not just handled them. I agree with cwarren here. Stop jamming advise and start offering it. If Bugs can get a license for a scrub and buys a baby, then by the time it has grown, well she will have too. At least she asked opinions on the matter. It's people who go off that stop people asking questions. Please can we all just get along!!!!! They (scrubs) are not maneaters!!!!! Some people on here are scarier than a 20 foot scrub!!!

Lol really? It's bigger than all the other text on my screen lol :oops:. Was it readable? :oops:

Hey Adam how much do you think she knows about the species she's about to bring home if she doesn't even know she can't legally keep one :lol:. She asked an opinion but was only looking for a particular answer.

How's this? Lol

What size do people normally reply with? For some reason mine's screwed (even though it looks normal on my comp) :shock:

First of all, Rosa you need a class 2 reptile keepers license tp keep scruby's. Second of all I do no think that you should get a scruby. These are big snakes. They can do some damage and will... regardless of the fact that you have raised it from a hatchy. I've had a snake that had never even looked twice to bite me.. even as a feeding response, and one day he just bit me. I would recommend an olive python if your looking for a large snake. These are probably the best large snake around IMO. If your going to get a scruby there are 2 thing you should do.. get someone who will be with you EVERY time you open its cage when it is larger than 5ft. And carry a knife. I hate to say it but if it comes down to you or the snake, I know the decision i would make.

I am wondering if this sort of reaction would have happened if it was a guy asking and thinking about getting one. One of the most knowledgeable keepers I have met in my time was a female and she not only owned a scrubby but handled it quite well. Also I got my Scrubby off Tennille some time ago and she looked after hers extremely well. It appears (to me anyway) that most of it is because she is a girl. I think it is funny that when Adandiluvsmyreptiles was saying he is getting his soon people were happy for him.?????? Sorry Adam just using you as an example lol

Regardless if Rosa was a bloke or a chick I personally would have the same response.. and knowing her she doe not have much experience.. with snakes in general.

anyone got some decent pics of their scrubbies - I can't believe in 10 pages of replies we have the same old pics being posted

Sten

i never forced my opinion or forced any advice but she will have to suffer the conseqences if she decide to get a scrubbie as ppl will always learn the hard way by making a mistake then soon realising that they made the wrong choice in what to get this is not just directed at bug but to everyone when they make a bad choice in life.....

Here are the teeth of a scrub python, Dave from PilbaraPythons saw a scrubby decapitate a full grown chook with a strike. They coil with enough power to kill a full grown man. (ask Trueblue).

Cwarren is recommending this young girl purchase one but then relates a nice story of one breaking an adult man's leg and requiring intervention from his son, also Col if I remember you used to handle your hatchling scrubby with welding gloves?

This girl will need to feed this animal and clean its tank. A tame scrubby is quite rare, garbage bin lid, bike helmet and welding gloves - and a spare person or two at all times.

Good luck.

Attachments

• zscrubby3.jpg
    zscrubby3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 88
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back