Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i already knew a scrub would need a huge cage, when someone suggested a whole room i asked to see if it actually would need a room

my 18ft pair of scrubbys had a 10ft by 4ft by 2ft cage each and i would just take them out side on the grass on a nice day for a stretch.so just give them the most room you can with a cage and let them out for a walk every 2days or so.

My ex was way more dangerous than a scrubbie and I survived her . There are many dangerous thing in life most of them are a lot of fun . You are more likely to be killed on the roads on the way to get one . Go and do whatever , if it gets nasty at least you will get on the news .

no i had to sell them as when i got my new job and had to move to melbourne
i had to turn 2 reptile rooms in to 1(very very sad day)so they had to go.
this is the first time in 10yrs i have not had a scrubby.and its just not the same with out one.

I reckon you should get a scrubby. Buy a snake that you like, not what others 'think' you can handle.

Tof

They recently brought some stats out on the most Dangerous Animal in Australia. The one that kills the most people. It's not a snake , shark, croc or spider. It's a Horse:lol:

Bug Collector,

You seem to of taken alot of offence to my advice, i edited my about post, because on second thought i decided it was best to leave you too it.

And yes because you asked what size tank a adult scrub python would need i thought you hadnt taken much into consideration.

see mate that's how you do it. Advice should be given not forced. Look I think a lot of people forget that it really doesn't matter how long you have been keeping herps for because the simple fact of the matter is that Scrubbys are a different kettle of fish.. You could have kept snakes for ever and think you know everything there is to know about snakes but if you get a angry Scrubby then all the experience in the world isn't going to help you. There is a breeder in Brisbane area who came unstuck a few years ago with his female that have a feed stirke at the chook he was holding and it also got him on the leg and coiled him and nearly got him except his son got him out but not befor it broke the blokes leg. So basically while I think they are absolutely awesome animals I will never trust them.......That is the best advice I can give to yoiu Bugs ...Always be on your guard with them....

More people die from bee stings than sharks.
The breeder we bought our MD from in Melb has a scrubby. It's about 15 years old and huge. He brought its head out to show us the length of its teeth... Ouch such an incredable snake, would love to have one but just so big!

I love them because they are something to be watched. While I do like to be able to handle my snakeys I do like the challenge of a fiesty one to

Hey guys,

Scrubbys would have to be my favourite snakes here in Aus. they are Beautiful, intelligent, fiesty, and on top of it all... enormous! They command more respect than any other python, and deservedly so. These snakes can be hard to control due to their size, and therefore CAN be dangerous. As mentioned they are very intelligent and hence very calculated, I have only seen scrubbys strike if they are sure they they will tag you. this coupled with their size makes them quite formidable.

I am not trying to put you off at all. If you feel that a scrubby is best for you, then by all means purchase one. but there are some things I would recommend doing beforehand though. Go to a store with some juvies and ask if you can have a hold. chances are you'll probably get nailed. Notice that scrubbies will bite harder, and have longer teeth than other carpets. This however will give you an idea of what you will have to deal with on a daily basis if you purchase one. Then go and find someone who has an adult. give that a handle. although they are fairly slim snakes, they are raw muscle; if it gets a hold of you, it won't want to let go!

Saying all this though, there is nothing more rewarding than to handle a scrubby which you have tamed, they are truly amazing snakes.

I hope this helps. If you have any queries as to where to purchase one, PM me.

Regards,
Trent

i'm only a newbie but i would probably suggest getting a coastal first if u want a big python. i would imagine it wouldn't be to comfortable getting tagged by one of them so it's only going to be worse with a scrubby. i'm not saying don't get one cos everyone does have to start somewhere just get experience around a large snake first.
i know you said you would get one while it was young and small so u could get used to it but u don't want to get one then end up with a big snake you don't like. i can't imagine there would be too many ppl willing to take on an adult scrubby.
see if there is anyone around you that has a scrubby that they will let you look at. maybe someone on here that has one might offer that opportunity to you.
i know wat it's like to have your heart set on something (i have the habit of wanting something and wanting it now) but it is something you REALLY have to think about.
anyways, good luck with watever decision you make just don't rush into and then realise it's not what u want!

like I mentioned earlier there is nothing comparitive between coastals and scrubbys. The male I had used to come out all nice sometimes and let you hold him and be all pleasant until he found some skin and then BAM he would grab a hold and when he wanted to he would chew down and rip the crap into you and he wasn't even big at the time

What an interesting thread!

People do get their hackles up on here sometimes, but in saying that, all things being equal, it's a great place if you don't take it to seriously.

MMM a Scrubby hey? Funny that alot of the newcommers are saying , yeah ! go for it if it's what you want!

But the more experienced keepers are riding on the side of caution about the said Scrubby.

I know who I would listen to, even if it's not what I quite wanted to hear?

But! Congrats on asking for advice BEFORE getting one, you should be commended on that at least, learn EVERYTHING you can and be prepared for the lifetime of the snake, they are NOT toys as others have suggested.

Good luck in whatever you decide, I love the little snakes and would never concider a Scrubby, but that's me, and everyone is different! :)

one thing i was thinking of was that they aparently like to **** and crap as soon as they get outta their tanks..........maybe thats just as well its not in the tank lol =\

Imo you should always assume you're going to get bitten by your pet regardless of what you're going to do to try and prevent it. If you're happy to be bitten by a 6m snake then get one. Until you learn to read some of a snake's body language you're not going to have a clue when it's dangerous to be going in there. Are you prepared to be bitten by an adult scrub python? People have died before...do you have someone strong to help you if you need it or are you thinking that if a scrubby gets you with a feeding response you're going to get away by yourself? Are you even strong enough to pick it up out of it's cage for cleaning! I saw Russell Grant taking his big scrubby out of it's cage and being a big bloke he certainly had to put a lot of effort in lol. Also, you WILL need to rely on brute strength if you get into a situation where you have your Scrubby's mouth attached to your arm and the rest of it's body wrapped around your chest and you're turning blue. It's hard enough to get a 5 or 6 footer off you when they really don't wanna let go...you're going to need an extremely strong person to detach that snake if the need arises. And no matter how much you handle or tame a snake you can never really trust it as it's still a wild animal. People still get bitten by domesticated dogs...obviously a wild animal will be even more unpredictable.

And besides, anyone who is keeping snakes cos they want a massive show off pet instead of a "dehydrated worm" probably isn't into it for the right reasons :?

A big 8-10 foot carpet will be well enough for you to get used to before you get a scrubby imo. I'd like to bet $10 that if you do get one you don't keep it long term. I hate to be a party pooper but I see so many people buy an animal (or 50) without thinking properly about what they're getting into and end up selling up when they get tagged or realise it's more than they can handle. Imo it's not fair on the snakes. I love Scrubbies...never used to but seeing Russell Grant's made me see what amazing animals they are. However, I don't particularly want to bet tagged by a 20 foot snake so I choose not to get one. Sometimes it's better to just appreciate them from a distance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back