Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this girl should be pretty close hopefully, unless shes just playing with my mind.
P1070938.jpg

Ooohh! An Antaresia thread! Thanks Colin for steering me here....

I love all Antaresias but at present only have Spotteds but I love them!

Here are a couple of mine....
snakes 002.jpgsnakes 004.jpgsnakes 006.jpg
Can't wait to go back through this thread and see all the pics of your Antaresia!

Cheers!

Mick.

hook me up with some of them dicky!

Very nice.

hook me up with some of them dicky!

Very nice.

They are very nice childreni , they did not go this season but i did not really try either , so next season i will give them a proper go , I've had a few interested so can throw your name in the book if you like ..

Elcho island childreni (Antaresia childreni)-2.jpg

you asked for antaresia freaks!!

i thought i would put some of these pics up for all to see.

After coming home from hospital with my new daughter, i went into the snake room to find this:shock:.

one of my stimsons had eaten the other and it was almost all the way down.
the two snakes had been put together for breeding and have been together since mid may.these snakes had been put together in previous years aswell. i hadnt seperated them yet and in hindsight i guess that was a bad idea.
i wasnt sure what to do about it and i thought that i would pickup the snake in the hope that it would regurgitate. it started to regurgitate straight away and i left it to do this on its own. ive never heard or seen this before,and i didnt want to risk losing both snakes. the snake that was regurgitaed was dead.the two snakes were the same age and the same size and opposite sex.
Any one heard of this happening before.lets hear some constructive feedback.
More pics to follow,

038.jpg042.jpg040.jpg041.jpg039.jpg

not bad brett. seems to be some cracker ants popping up more often these days.

dave, seems you're getting converted to ants more and more, about time;)

Yep, thats why there's countless threads of why you shouldnt do it.
Congrats on the new bub.

i thought i would put some of these pics up for all to see.

After coming home from hospital with my new daughter, i went into the snake room to find this:shock:.

one of my stimsons had eaten the other and it was almost all the way down.
the two snakes had been put together for breeding and have been together since mid may.these snakes had been put together in previous years aswell. i hadnt seperated them yet and in hindsight i guess that was a bad idea.
i wasnt sure what to do about it and i thought that i would pickup the snake in the hope that it would regurgitate. it started to regurgitate straight away and i left it to do this on its own. ive never heard or seen this before,and i didnt want to risk losing both snakes. the snake that was regurgitaed was dead.the two snakes were the same age and the same size and opposite sex.
Any one heard of this happening before.lets hear some constructive feedback.
More pics to follow,

View attachment 172565View attachment 172564View attachment 172563View attachment 172562View attachment 172561

dan, antaresia are known to be cannibalistic.

where they heated up again after breeding? at a guess perhaps one of them had no interest in breeding and decided it was time to start feeding again. do you know which one was consumed? i wouldn't imagine a gravid female would be in a hurry to try take on a meal that large.

I usually seperate the snakes as soon as no breeding is witnessed, or immediately when the female looks to be going into shed. I also only keep them together for 1 week max at a time during the breeding season, to rest the male and reduce the risk of one getting bored and deciding to chew on their mate.

and also congrats on the new bub:)

ozziepython, i guess your right on that point, most likely the ambient temps and daylight hours have triggered the snakes it feeding mode again and i was just too late in seperating them. there has been no prelay slough from the female.the female was the one that was eaten.
i guess its a lesson for all to take note on the possibillities of cannibalism.
Thanks guys for the congrats on the bub!

this is probably a good set of images to turn into a sticky thread for those who constantly ask if they can keep their snakes together.

shame though, looks like she was a nice stimmy.

i was thinking the same thing when i was searching for other threads about this on here.
There seems to be alot of threads with different opinions, and i guess you could keep pythons together under the right circumstances and conditions. im not suggesting you cant keep them together,just thought people might be intereted in what happened with a pair of mine.

This is very interesting.
I am an amateur keeper, and was advised on this forum that Antaresia can be safely kept together!
I have a M & F Mac in together for months and haven't had a problem. Besides separating them for feeding they are always together - they even share the one hide! Am I asking for trouble here????

Mick.

Check the last few posts, im sure you will find the answer!!!:rolleyes:

This is very interesting.
I am an amateur keeper, and was advised on this forum that Antaresia can be safely kept together!
I have a M & F Mac in together for months and haven't had a problem. Besides separating them for feeding they are always together - they even share the one hide! Am I asking for trouble here????

Mick.

never take what you are advised on a forum as gospel!
some have been doing it for a long time with great success, some not so lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back