Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktngrl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I no everyone asks what first snake to get but I would like to know what 2nd python to purchase.
I have a 12mth coastal and she has been so easy.great to handle good feeder beautiful markings.Of course i now have the disease......1is never enough.cost and size is not really an issue id rather have a snake i love than skimp on $ and have an animal I cant handle.But I would like something different other than another coastal.any ideas???

Diamond, Darwin, Murray Darling, Bredl's, Children's Spotted, Stimson's. Take your pic.

:p

Hix

If it is your second I would say what ever snake you like most. You've learned the basics now you should get what you want.

GTP if money is no object lol umm i dunno possibly a BHP if you dont mind parting with the money or a Bredli or MD

Nice Bredli Reps!!I do love the temperament of the MDs.but I love the look of the jungles they can be snappy tho? Also how do I choose a hatchy? What do I look for? maybe I should get an older snake? We were just lucky with our current girl.

Ask yourself will I want to breed them in the future . If yes set up pairs as you go . If you just want to keep them get the next good deal you stumble accross . Sometimes fate knows best .

I do tend to agree with the fate thing...no not interested in breeding just am totally unexpectedly hypnotised by snakes.I would really like an olive but am a bit hesitant with thier temperament.so I think Ill be on the look out for a nice bredli or a MD.Male or female when choosing? does it make a diff?

.....Dont we all dream of owning a GTP Repz.........!! maybe ill sell my sister to the geishas....

I would get a male coastal to go with your female. Your female is 12 months old, in another 3 years or so you would be able to breed them, sell the offspring and buy even more snakes.

May be I should buy an adult? how do they go transfering owners?

how about a water python. they are gorgeous snakes.

I would get an Olive. They are great snakes and easy to read their mood. I have a pair of (almost) yearlings and they handle great. I haven't been bitten (although I probably will soon! :lol:) because when they are 'woken' or spooked they really let you know! My pair lunge at the glass from across the tank and throw their whole body at you! But when they are calm I can get them out and hold them without any problems whatsoever.

Also, they are great to watch! They move around more than Morelias and get very active at times! Once they feed they tend to hide away for a few days, then back out roaming around again.

Finally, they are very different to coastals in size and looks. So if you are after something different these are the guys to get! They tend to have a better temperament than water pythons to.

Shane

hmmm so olives are scary but exciting.... they are beautiful to look at thats for sure.I guess not being that experienced im worried ill be to nervous round it.
I dont no much bout water pythons. can you handle them as much as a land dweller? my breeder has a beautiful pair that they will hopefully be getting hatchies from so its a possibility.
excuse the ignorance but whats a mac?

water pythons dont necissaraly live in water. they just need a larger water bowl. u want to knwo more aobut them sdaji has water pythons. he is great for info on them .

hmmm so olives are scary but exciting.... they are beautiful to look at thats for sure.I guess not being that experienced im worried ill be to nervous round it.
I dont no much bout water pythons. can you handle them as much as a land dweller? my breeder has a beautiful pair that they will hopefully be getting hatchies from so its a possibility.
excuse the ignorance but whats a mac?

Olives are fine, some of them just don't appreciate fast movements around them. No need to be nervous though as you have just as much chance of being bitten by any other snake! :) I'd get a juvie though so as you gain experience and confidence it will gain in length and you will get used to it.

Water pythons don't actually need to live in water like a sea snake, but they do like a swim! Just providing a large water bowl is enough. From experience these guys get pretty nasty and I haven't seen a good tempered one yet (I'm sure there are plenty out there though!)

A mac is Antaresia maculosus or Eastern Small Blotched Python. Same family as the stimsons and chidreni, only small pythons.

Shane

This temperament stuff is all crap. Except maybe for scrubbuies and jungles to a lesser extent (intersting that they both live in the same spot). Although I know people with very placid jungles. Every time there is a thread posted here asking about what type of python to keep there is always soemone who says that a particular breed is snappy and someone else that says they aren't. That is as senseless as saying all dogs are violent and all chinese people are placid. There are differences in every species. You can get two snakes out of the same clutch with totally different personalities.

so.... therefore, all you need to do is go right back to the start of this thread where Hix gave you the exact right piece of advice. Buy whatever you want. It might be snappy or it might not. But that wont depend on the species.

But... if you are concerned about temperament then buy an adult where the temperament is already known. simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back