Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we get may killer bugs in Australia, however snakes galore..... and venomous snakes are more dangerous than loaded guns. As a qualified snake catcher I can assure you that it is imperative to be able to identify and handle these animals safely. Just consider the ramifications if the snake had been venomous and someone had been bitten???

Yes he should know about snake identification and considering he does not, he should refrain from future call outs. .......

What makes you think he doesn't know how to ID snakes? Just because he made a couple of suggestions from the otherside of the pool? Many snakes have similar pattern. You can't just expect someone to know from first glance what it is. You wouldn't believe how many red-belly call outs I have attended to, to find nothing more than a blue tongue. But I assure these ppl they did the right thing. You can't give a 100% ID when all you can see is some scales showing from a hole, and its in their best interest to find someone who can handle the situation in case it was a red belly.

Dr Chris did the right thing. He isn't there to be a hero but to approach the snake with caution. Until he could see it to offer a proper ID he was being cautious which any sensible person would do. Had his diamond turned out to be a broadheaded he would have been able to see that more clearly as he lifted up the lid, and I can guarantee for a TV program like that, they wouldn't take risks to tarnish his name. He would have had a snakehandler standing outside the cameras.

Yes he should know about snake identification and considering he does not, he should refrain from future call outs.
Are you saying that if at anytime you are unsure of a snake identification,even if just for a few seconds,because it may possibly be more than on type,when you see it from 40 feet away and it is only partially visible, that you will refrain from future callouts?

I think you all need to cut him a bit of slack.
When he got a closer look, he knew it was a Diamond straight away.
He handled her with the hook because NOT EVERYONE is comfortable with snakes! Try to see it from the point of people who aren't crazy reptile lovers like everyone on here.
Furthermore, he is EDUCATING THE GENERAL PUBLIC about snakes and HOW NOT to handle a situation - even a Vet can get confused about snake identification and he did the right thing!
The people putting him down? Get off your pedestal. He identified the snake correctly after a closer look, he handled her fine for someone who probably doesn't like snakes and a wild one no less.

so does everybody agree thats its ok for anyone to do a call out on a diamond python because they know its not venomous?

For all we know he may actually be experienced with reptiles!
He knew that they can look similar from a distance and he knew it was a diamond from his first close glance.
There's a difference between him taking a call out and you takin a call out - but hey if you really wanna start a snake catching business I'm sure we can't stop you.

There's a difference between experience and actually enjoying picking a diamond up.
He can be experienced and ****-scared at the same time.
Don't judge someone's actions when you don't know the circumstances or what they know.
Walk a mile in his shoes first, then get back to me.

Emergency to Bondi vet!
My snake just swallow my wife gee strings. She is size 24.
They are pink and toxic.
Help.

Ps, This is meant as joke, not criticism of vet. Most of them do great job and lot of free assistance to wildlife.
I just liked the episode when the little dog swallowed the undies of the owner. I thought that this episode was great for rating.

I think you all need to cut him a bit of slack.
When he got a closer look, he knew it was a Diamond straight away.
He handled her with the hook because NOT EVERYONE is comfortable with snakes! Try to see it from the point of people who aren't crazy reptile lovers like everyone on here.
Furthermore, he is EDUCATING THE GENERAL PUBLIC about snakes and HOW NOT to handle a situation - even a Vet can get confused about snake identification and he did the right thing!
The people putting him down? Get off your pedestal. He identified the snake correctly after a closer look, he handled her fine for someone who probably doesn't like snakes and a wild one no less.

I agree, I also handle my big variegata and my wife with hook. I am some time also not comfortable to free handle them. ( I am so lucky that my half don't read this forum. Otherwise there is no protective equipment invented to save me.)
But on serious note, I think that he should use hook to handle wild snake. After all, he is not herp expert and there is no need to get bitten. Diamond pythons bite and infection is always possibility.

Using a hook on you wife is not the best equipment available. Invest in a cattle prod and your actions will be far better rewarded.

Using a hook on you wife is not the best equipment available. Invest in a cattle prod and your actions will be far better rewarded.

i think i got a spare hanging around my place if you need it haha
also he used a hook because even is he is comftable holding the snake he dosnt want ppl going and just picking snakes up because the crazy man on tv did.

i think i got a spare hanging around my place if you need it haha
also he used a hook because even is he is comftable holding the snake he dosnt want ppl going and just picking snakes up because the crazy man on tv did.

Agreed.... why are we still talking about this?

Good grief... 11 pages!!! Get a LIFE you people! I'm with Kristy here... He's a vet, he looks good, he is good with animals generally, he's on TV... How many of you critics have done half as much as he has to promote the good care of animals.

So many damned armchair experts... not!

And mis-devious - if your screen name is a play on 'mischievous', it doesn't work... mischievous is MISCHIEVOUS, not MISCHEVIOUS...

Jamie.

Good grief... 11 pages!!! Get a LIFE you people! I'm with Kristy here... He's a vet, he looks good, he is good with animals generally, he's on TV... How many of you critics have done half as much as he has to promote the good care of animals.

So many damned armchair experts... not!

Jamie.

I agree with you and Kristy why is this thread still going? What sort of fool would read it or keep adding more posts ;) :lol: Also if you change your settings to 50 posts per page its only like 3 and a bit pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back