Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO if you can have a macaw without a licence legally then there should be a system for exotic reps that way they aren't smuggled into the country and there is no disease spread and the animals that are here can live long fulfilling lives.

No... if we started doing that then the system would appear logical lol

Its a ball python.. I don't know why your fighting so hard over something that will probably never happen... Just accept the fact that were not getting them and shouldn't get them and just be thankful were even allowed to own Australian reptiles and see them in our backyard... I think that our natives are 100x better than any exotic....

I can name several 100 species... most are pit vipers lol

I am not saying I want any I just think they shouldn't be killed because idiots illegally obtain them.

Its a ball python.. I don't know why your fighting so hard over something that will probably never happen... Just accept the fact that were not getting them and shouldn't get them and just be thankful were even allowed to own Australian reptiles and see them in our backyard... I think that our natives are 100x better than any exotic....

Correct, took a long time for the Government to allow us to keep our own natives. I wouldn't push my luck.

Not about pushing our luck there should be a system in place to better regulate these animals the government should jump on the idea as there is a potential giant tax and you know how they love taxes I mean they make you pay to poison yourself (Cigarettes).

Hence why I said "I think".... And to be honest.... A system that actually stops smuggling of exotics ? It will just mean that there will be more people who own them.. the people who pay the license fee and those who don't.

Yeah but there are people who have our natives who don't pay the licence fee. Potential revenue for the government, more disease control and animal welfare taken into consideration I think someone here needs to get high up on the political ladder and raise this issue.

Unfortunately I am too young to do so at this stage and I have no intention on a political career as I have a soul bound to be someone who will though.

Raise the issue, I'm sure they have more on the plate than to look at people wanting to 'save the exotic potential threat to our environment reptiles'. I don't hate exotics.. I think there are some very nice looking exotics.. But your thinking about potentially giving exotics to anyone who fills out a form...

The government will never be able to 'police' any thing like your proposing completely.. There will always be someone who will break that law and take advantage... And thats when the problems start.

They shouldn't be offered to just anyone only people who are very serious and have ties with scientific organisations/zoo's obviously zoo keepers should be on the list of people who can apply and other people similar.

But there is only so many people can take in... Taronga Zoo for example has a corn snake that is used for education... You can't rescue them all... Think about the pounds a very large % of those dogs are put down.. I don't know what your looking for.

Last edited:
Not talking about the zoo's themselves but the keepers should be able to take seized animals into their custody and anyone with equal or greater experience to the zoo keepers. So that there could potentially be a reduction of the animals smuggled in and housed incorrectly. What I am looking for is a decent all round system for the treatment and legality of animals just because reptiles aren't on the high popular list in Australia people can't get the exotics like they can birds, cats and dogs which would do more damage because cat's and dogs escape all the time. Snakes and other herps are generally kept more secure especially if they are kept by an experienced keeper.

But saying you want a decent system when politicians are involved is just ludicrous.

IMO if you can have a macaw without a licence legally then there should be a system for exotic reps that way they aren't smuggled into the country and there is no disease spread and the animals that are here can live long fulfilling lives.

People are smuggling in natives like GTP (Albino hets etc), Jaguar Carpets, Zebra Carpets, Granite Carpets (claiming they are North Westerns/Darwins), Albino BHP... etc etc etc

See that shouldn't be illegal if done through customs like a dog/cat so long as the bloodline is pure.

If you were to "legally" import ball pythons into Australia I can see there being the same problem like America with the burmese pythons..
IMO this just shouldn't be done, too much of a risk with deseases an infestation.
You already see threads with people finding Corns in their back yard (aren't native).
Had mates tell me of people finding them on eggs.
Same with the cane toad issue there will be no good introducing an exotic animal into this country.
Basically if you want to bring exotic species into the aussie environment an screw up the native wildlife more than it already is you obviously don't love ya country.
You may say that "aww this will never happin, my snakes won't excape" ya full of it, it will happin eventually.
Cam

I understand your points and I do feel bad that the animals have a need to be euthanized but think about it this way... They flow of animals has not been stopped by the euthanasia of these animals and like you said "reptiles aren't on the high popular list" so there will only be a certain amount of people that will accept these animals, what happens when these people become 'inundated' with animals ? I suppose there is only so many retics one can have, what happens then ?

I can understand why it wont happen, and some reasons are valid. The thing i dont understand i why people have the mentality of 'because we cant own them, im going to bag them and say they are ugly and that our snakes are better'..Why cant people just admire beautiful animals, regardless of whether you can own one?...

Then they have to be euthanised I suppose. But that would be a reduction at least. If you can save the life of one wouldn't you feel proud in some way? If through a system one animal was saved then it would all be worthwhile in my opinion but it would be more than one as there would be plenty of people willing to take them on who have the proper experience. Not as many as people who want cats but its something.

I can understand your point. But they save as many as they can! Once you start allowing people to take things home thats when you have 'human error'.. Not saying zoo's and other institutes are 'human error' free, they have codes and regulations to help fix that error and a LOT more resources available. Stuff happens to even the most 'expert' of keepers and I don't want that loose snake to be a retic..

They save as many as they can under the current system. They need to amend it to save more.

The way things are heading there will probably be certain exotics we can keep anyway. Look at the situation with Jags... Depending on how common they are and other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back