Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new addition to my gang - a beautiful darwin girl. I have called her Charlie....
025.jpg

072.jpg

He is looking great Nato. Puts some of the jags out there to shame! I love the glow on his eye in the top photo.My snakes - your girl has some lovely contrast, too. I reckon that Darwins are severely underrated. They are just so lovely and easy to keep, as well!

I love darwins. I think they are a very underrated snake. The colour variations are amazing. Some of the hets (time to duck before I head my head shot off) almost look better then some of the albinos. Can't wait to hopefully get a albino partner for my male.

Beautiful Ramzee! Who wet your snake, varanus?

Here's my boy tonight. The female told him to nick off because she is ovulating and NOT in the mood. He is as far away as possible, looking as sheepish as possible.
DSC04116.jpg

Love the high yellow in that one pythonmum!!

Is he the only male you used on your female this season??

I quite like the high yellow in the albino's. I really love the bright yellow. They look great. I can't say I've ever heard anything bad said about the darwins but their colour contrast is absolutely striking. I am so happy with my girl. She can only get better.

Thanks James. Ra is the main guy this year, but I let the het have an 8 hour "stress relief" session with the female a couple of weeks ago. I don't think he will father any of the clutch, but if there are any het babies, I will know some of his swimmers got through. He certainly got right to business when I put him with the female ;)

I love darwins. I think they are a very underrated snake. The colour variations are amazing. Some of the hets (time to duck before I head my head shot off) almost look better then some of the albinos. Can't wait to hopefully get a albino partner for my male.

I don't know why people keep saying this? Why would you say they are underrated? Darwins are extremely popular because of their colour and pattern variation...plus the massive popularity that the albino brought. So I'd like to know what makes them underrated? I'm not having a go at you. It's just that statement puzzles me, especially when I see it time and time again.

I don't know why people keep saying this? Why would you say they are underrated? Darwins are extremely popular because of their colour and pattern variation...plus the massive popularity that the albino brought. So I'd like to know what makes them underrated? I'm not having a go at you. It's just that statement puzzles me, especially when I see it time and time again.

It just seems that alot of people would prefer to have a jungle, bredli, woma or diamond over the humble darwin. I also dont know why darwins have a reputation for being snappy. All the ones I have come across have been so placid. It may be different in Darwin with the popularity up there but it does seem that they are less popular down here. Yes the albino has brought massive popularity but it only seems in the last 2 years that they have come down in price that the masses can own them.

Hopefully they can get the appreciation they deserve. I could be wrong but thats what it seems like to me.

I think I can add to that using APS as evidence for why them seem underrated.
Show us you woma thread has had 921 post since 25-Dec-09
The jungle thread thread has had 2896 post since 01-Mar-09
Where the darwn thread has only had 350 post since 02-Nov-09

Last edited:
I believe they are more popular down south because I have sold hundreds of Darwin hatchlings and the majority have gone down south.

Whilst I see what you mean about the other threads, if you look more closely at those other threads you'll notice that most posts and pictures are by the same few passionate people with large collections.

I may be wrong, but I still don't believe that they are underrated. JMO.

Last edited:
OK so I have two Darwins on the way, very excited, and I just wanted some people to tell me about theirs. Personality? Traits? What does everyone prefer for heating etc? Feel free to post pics of enclosures as I will prob be making some even though I have spares.

OK so I have two Darwins on the way, very excited, and I just wanted some people to tell me about theirs. Personality? Traits? What does everyone prefer for heating etc? Feel free to post pics of enclosures as I will prob be making some even though I have spares.
All three of mine have very placid but curious natures. The biggest one Smij is quite shy and doesn't like to venture to far away fro me. The albino Khaleesi is the second smallest and is really adventurous and the smallest one is still a little nervous when she is out. I have there heating set at 32-35 at the hot spot and I use heat cables for all of miine. Mine are in tubs/click clacks at the moment but Smij is about to move to his first proper enclosure to make room for a Gammon Ranges I have coming soon. I should have his enclosure almost finished by the weekend so I will post some pics for you then.

Awesome. I have click clacks ready but I have ceramics in the enclosures but Im pretty sure Im going to put radiators in as I have one in with one of the jungles and its great. I think when I build new ones Ill put aquariums in the base as well. I cant wait, first sxr snakes!

I hope I can get an Albino one day.
They are so beautiful!

I think they are underrated because most people don't realise the fantastic variety of colour and pattern in classic Darwins. They are rarely considered as a first large python, but should be. Twitch - I would think carefully about the aquarium and make sure you have a good filter. Snake crap is really foul in water and some of them love to bomb the water.

Hahaha yeah I have been thinking about it and asking questions for a while. I would use a canister like I have with the turtles (messy little buggers as well) and an internal just to keep the water moving. One of my jungles loves to crap in his water, its not the nicest but easy to clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back