Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
boa said:
He speaks :lol: Hyper : Above, exceeding, higher, more than, abnormally increased.
I take it to be that melanistic means it is black, hypermelanistic means it is abnormally black. So it is even more black :lol:

That's it boa :lol:. Just like hypos are reduced in black, meaning that they can still have some of black on them, hypers have increased black, though not completely black.

Well that's how i see it anyway :)

Reptilia said:
Thanks gabe so would that mean 'melanistic' is all black?

Have you seen the pic of the melanistic Darwin? Has anyone got it handy?

Just found it :)

28blackprincess.jpg

amelainistic = albino
melainistic = all black, (except ventral)
hypomelainistic = greatly reduced black
Hypermelainistic = ? probally some name an american herper came up with to sell melainistic animals.?
Sdaji, virtually all my animals are local pure from, stimmies to bhps, to hypo coastals, to jungles etc, I strive to keep them that way and that is why its rare for me to acqurie an animal off any one these days, with only a very small number of exceptions that I trust enough to know that their line originates from where they say it does.

ad said:
I would rather one of these - and it is a pure locale animal.

I still think a well presented black and white jungle like that Ad is unbeatable! That is gorgeous!

I think the demand for designer animals will always be on the increase, and it's really a case of naming your price and see what comes of it. It's human nature for people to desire owning something that is just that little bit different. From a personal point of view, I love the fact that there are purists out there still trying to keep the bloodlines of what has evolved naturally, true. However on saying that, it'd only be the cost of buying something that is an albino, or a spectacular hybrid, that is keeping a lid on myself personally owning one! (oh, and my wife!! ) and why not...even one of those over-priced green tree thingy pythons hehe

- am I fence sitting? :lol:

TrueBlue said:
amelainistic = albino
melainistic = all black, (except ventral)
hypomelainistic = greatly reduced black
Hypermelainistic = ? probally some name an american herper came up with to sell melainistic animals.?
Sdaji, virtually all my animals are local pure from, stimmies to bhps, to hypo coastals, to jungles etc, I strive to keep them that way and that is why its rare for me to acqurie an animal off any one these days, with only a very small number of exceptions that I trust enough to know that their line originates from where they say it does.

Since when don't melanistic animals have black ventrals?

Cool stuff with the pure lines. What locality are your Black Headed Pythons from? I thought you were hybridising the bumblebee one. I've heard of virtually no locality specific Black Headeds from NT or QLD. Everyone seems to think that "NT" and "QLD" are locations. Where are your hypo east QLD carpets from?

Sdaji, most melainistic pythons if not all, all that I have seen any way, are not black ventrally but white or whiteish grey.
Their south east qld hypos, Charters towers line bhps, the bumble bee will only be put over WA bhps from the same imediate region as he came from, I was tempted to put it over a qld this season but restrained myself,( now thats passion for keeping them pure),

I must admit I was thinking the same thing. Where does it say they have anything other than black ventrals and why would that be ?

Sdaji said:
Since when don't melanistic animals have black ventrals?

quote]

There are supposed to be quite a few hypo coastals around the Sunshine Coast area

TrueBlue said:
Sdaji, most melainistic pythons if not all, all that I have seen any way, are not black ventrally but white or whiteish grey.
Their south east qld hypos, Charters towers line bhps, the bumble bee will only be put over WA bhps from the same imediate region as he came from, I was tempted to put it over a qld this season but restrained myself,( now thats passion for keeping them pure),

That just means they're not 'true' melanistics *shrug*
I'm not particularly fussed, if I want a black snake, I'll get a black snake from a species which is supposed to be black :D Mmmm, Notechis :)

Charters Towers? Great stuff! An actual location, not just a state! :)

Glad to hear the bumblebee will be kept pure. One of these days I might have to get some. Hopefully a few years down the track if and when they're available, I might be able to afford them!

Yes, luckly for me Ive been in the hooby here long enough to know people that collected before the laws changed in the mid 80s, I managed a reptile dispay for one years a go, all the lines of normal carpets that I used to breed came thru this bloke, the hypos that I still breed are from the same animals. They were originally collected from the sunshine coast.

I like this girl from TrueBlues collection.
Pure locale and pretty hot looking animal.

TrueBlue said:
I can see what will happen in the future when there are so many albino mongels around no one will be sure what genes are in their snakes. IMO this also has a moral issue, if they have no chance of ever breeding in the wild, why would any one want to create a new animal, that is natures job, not the job of a bunch of fools who are obviosly only doing it to try and line their pockects,(which IMO is going to back fire on them), and in their own perverted brains I think it is like a penis extension for them. But in realality they will lose what respect they had from any one with morals in this hobby.

best. post. ever.

if you weren't a man, i'd kiss you.

IMO i would only buy pure locality morphs if it could be verified and i would not go any where near hybrid morphs as they do not represent a true species to me.

Congo

RE : Designer Morphs

NPWL has approved the release of S.A. Murray Darlings on an propery that used to have them there before land clearing, feral cats & fires wiped them out.
She (Name kept private as she dosent want to much attention) has released over 100 juvs.
The S.A herpotolegy group can back me up!
So, Captive bred S.A. Murray Darlings has been approved & released to the wild.
She has also found sheddings & python poo in the same area 1 year later.
If the Murray darlings are pure off locality, whats the problem?

Jason Lapins

Hypermelanistic means increased black
Melanistic means an all-black animal.

The snake in the photo posted by Gabe is, therefore, a hypermelanistic animal.

olivehydra said:
I believe humans are part of "mother nature" and therefore shouldnt our actions also be considered part of nature? To seperate ourselves from our environment is something that happens all too often.

Unfortunately, our actions cannot be considered 'natural' any longer.

For millions of years man and his antecedents have been an integral part of the environment. We have co-existed and interacted with other species in what is termed the "balance of nature". But we have upset the balance in our favour, so much so that we not only endanger other species and ecosystems, but we place ourselves at risk.

Sdaji said:
because if you accept it, you accept that there is nothing wrong with humans polluting the planet, detonating nuclear bombs, hunting species to extinction etc etc etc.

Well said, and I'd add to that rampant global deforestation, whale hunting, bullfighting, canetoad introductions and the destruction of the protective Ozone layer. Hell, I can't even eat fish I catch in Sydney Harbour any more!

In regards to reintroductions:
boa said:
Wouldn't they have to come from accredited breeders or zoos parks etc ? Even then there is no proof the animals are pure enough to release to restock. I would like to think it was possible.

Most likely the animals would conme from accredited breeders and zoo/parks etc., not the average hobbyist. And many zoos already have provenance stock for some species (I believe the majority of the animals at the Alice Springs Desert Park are provenance).

Even if a population was wiped out in an area, and there was no guaranteed provenance stock from that region, chances are authorities would relocate some wild animals from a nearby location. The genetic profile might be different, but it would be better than an unknown profile that might contain undesirable traits. That's assuming the authorities considered it worthwhile to repopulate the area.

:p

Hix

Hix said:
olivehydra said:
I believe humans are part of "mother nature" and therefore shouldnt our actions also be considered part of nature? To seperate ourselves from our environment is something that happens all too often.

Unfortunately, our actions cannot be considered 'natural' any longer.

For millions of years man and his antecedents have been an integral part of the environment. We have co-existed and interacted with other species in what is termed the "balance of nature". But we have upset the balance in our favour, so much so that we not only endanger other species and ecosystems, but we place ourselves at risk.
:p

Hix

I think what I was alluding to here has been misinterpreted. I still however disagree with what you say but agree with your dislike of our actions. To discuss this matter further would best suit another forum such as chit chat :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back