Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy5

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new here & need a bit of advice. I have 2, 2.5+ metre carpets & 1 diamond. They have lived in the same enclosure for 4 years. Bundy (the carpet) laid eggs last year in the log, NO-ONE was allowed in the log for 2 1/2 months. 25 babies were born on 3rd Jan 06. She is a legend. She again laid 2 weeks ago, directly under the light (i am building another enclosure). Dharma the other carpet who's sex is not know has bullied, harrased, & tried to steal her eggs. I set up their old tank & tried to get her & eggs out. She was so cool about it but the eggs are like superglued to the floor. She got under the newspaper to lay. As Dharma is way too big to move into old house i have had to put my sons leggo box over Bundy. With lots of airholes. Every couple of days i take Dharma out to roam (which she loves) offer Bundy water & lift her leggo box so she can stretch in peace whatever. Does anybody have an idea at what Dharma is up to, do you think the box is a good idea. Any tips would be great. Thanks heaps.:?

Get Dharma out and lose the Lego box.

Firstly its not good that the eggs were laid under the light. If there is a chance that the eggs overheat she wont be able to leave the eggs to let them cool off. Before laying eggs you should have given her a nesting box down the cool end. She would have laid eggs in there and been able to leave them to get warm under the light, then return to warm them. They do actually allow the eggs to cool for 20-30 minutes while they bask.

What you should do is place a hide over her with a hole so she can leave when she wants. You cant keep her trapped as it can lead to her abandoning the eggs and the other snake must be removed as its presence will stress the brooding female.

My tip would be to take the Diamond out so it can't crossbreed with the coastals and hope that the current clutch are pure coastal.

Bundy, you are in for some attacks from forum members, hold tight, this could get rough. :(

Please get the other two snakes out of that enclosure. Let mum do her thing without the lego box. Give her a chance to get off the eggs if need be. Borrow an aviary if you have to.

If you don't know the sex of the other coastal, then you are also saying the dad could be the Diamond ?

I hope you bought your flame suit. :(

Well done mate, congrats. I will buy a baby when they hatch and I hope THEY ARE crossbreeds. Boo hoo to all those who disagree!!!! I do agree with wrasse though. lose the leggo box, get the 2 others out and ignore anyone who blasts you. You are doing something right for her to breed 2 years in a row!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

i dont understand why so many people are against cross breeds.

some white power nazi snake purist wanting to breed "super snakes" maybe

so what do we do with the cross breeds... gas chamber them?

I'm not sure why I was included in that, I wasn't agreeing with Buck, I agreed with mitchyj when he said 'here we go again'.

No problem, it can sometimes be hard to follow just where posts fit into the thread sometimes.

How funny, agreed Buck.

the purists are happy with how our natural animals, hybrid breeders are the ones who think they will create "super snakes".

Again, show me a nice aussie bred hybrid - no one can. Everyone thinks they will automatically get a jag looking animal by crossing a plain old carpet with a diamond etc. - Dream ON.

Australian Snakes are the best in the world - leave them natural - you will NOT make a better one than our natural animals.

Freeze the offspring for the good of the hobby,
Adam

Ok i'll start off..

Oskorei I believe people have a genuine hatred for hybrids but i also believe that alot of people are against them because people try and sell their hybrids as PURE which could cause problems later on down the track eg: say you buy a coastal as PURE (like me) and plan to breed it but then you find out it is a hybrid. Now if i had bred my snake before i found out it was a hybrid i would have sold the hatchys as pure coastals which in that case you dont know what sort of snakes are getting around anymore.

Hope that clears it up for you;)

PS you will allways have a for and against argument. I dont mind them but i wont be breeding mine, i will just keep that as a pet. However i have added more to my collection and plan to breed them:lol:

Freeze the offspring for the good of the hobby,
Adam
For the good of the hobby?! How about no for the welfare of the animals?
I don't think I agree with crossbreeding, but I certainly dont agree with culling them just because. There are heaps of kids who have no intention of breeding that will happily give crossbreeds a loving home.
Why don't we gas all the mixed ethnic people as well just to keep our races pure? *rolls eyes*

pmsl....... you guys really crack me up, most will spend good money trying to buy super looking pure line bred snakes, or albinos and so on, but have a go at anybody breeding hybrids or crosses, whats the difference, bloody none, lol, they all would never be bred in the wild and what about crossing athertons and tully jungles, most purests think thats ok,
as for the comment about never seeing a nice hybrid or cross, well you had better open up your eyes guys and check these out, and don't try to say these aren't nice because we all know your wrong,

forgot, flame suit is on and waiting, please flame away guys..........................

Attachments

• ebony 5 cross2.jpg
    ebony 5 cross2.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 170
  • russ1.jpg
    russ1.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 152
What about this ugly looking thing ? GTP x Coastal.
CarpondroWeb.jpg

I'll have to wait and see how the eggs go ;-)

Boa that is awesome.

that is a really cool looking animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back