Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the only trouble with that australis, is that you can still get a percentage of animals that look pure out of alot of crosses and this is where imo it causes major harm to the hobby.
Sure some people will be honest about it but even those animals once they go thru a few hands have a good chance of being sold as pure at some stage. That is the main reason im against it.
Alot of them will eventually taint pure stock and theres nothing that can be done to police it propally, especially if it is made legal.

Tsidasa, I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Going off on tangents in threads doesn't help anybody. Even if you wanted to review this particular debate on hybrids and cross-breeding down the track, you wouldn't know where to find it because "Egg Thief" is hardly the first place you'd look.

By all means, have your debate and get as passionate as your like. But don't hijack somebody elses thread to do it ... particularly when that person was asking for your guidance, not your judgement ... !!!

Can ppl stop hijacking this thread, this thread is about the laws not whether or not you like hybrids can everyone stop hijacking it with opinions that have nothing to do with the legality in Qld. thanks:)

Can ppl stop hijacking this thread, this thread is about the laws not whether or not you like hybrids can everyone stop hijacking it with opinions that have nothing to do with the legality in Qld. thanks:)

Cris,

A seperate thread has been created regarding the laws, this thread was about a persons issue with pythons eggs..lol

Cris,

A seperate thread has been created regarding the laws, this thread was about a persons issue with pythons eggs..lol

Well i look like an idiot now i thought that was this thread:oops:
I typed in the wrong window.

Gosh, where was I when all this was happening??? My favourite subject!!!

Well, firstly, (and I hope Bundy comes back to read this...) any other pythons in the same enclosure with an incubating female will continually disturb her - females trying to hijack the clutch for themselves on occasions, and both sexes trying to utilise the warmth produced by the incubating female by coiling with her. Males will occasionally attempt to mate with a female post partum as well. All of these will distract the incubating female from her task, so all other snakes must be removed from her enclosure.

The hybrid debate is always emotional, as is the "intergrade" debate - the term intergrade implies that there were once coastals, and diamonds living in separate populations, and the came together and "hybridised." This is probably not true. The Morelia spilota ssp found from northern Victoria right up the east coast is a continuum with local variations as their environment dictates. So-called "intergrades" are just a local carpet python variation (as are diamonds) and could have existed in their own right just as long as the others with which they are supposed to originate from. Port Macquarie carpet is a far more appropriate name for these animals.

Jamie.

First I would like to say thankyou to Bundy for the interesting read, i have never of Pythons trying to steal eggs before, I hope all eggs hatch successfully.

As for the "To cross or not to cross" debate, I shall start a new post as not to promote Hijacking of Bundy's original thread.

Good luck Bundy

just an update on these eggs, the mother hatch out 18 nice little guys on the 28th dec, all are doing well and so is the mother, since this thread the diamond male now has a new home and won't be visiting the girls any more, i'll post some pics later on of the hatchys,
please don't start the fors and against about crossing as i've posted this on behalf of bundy5 to let you know the results not to start another hybrid debate again................

Ok just how many people out there have owned or do own a cross breed dog. Some of these make better pets than pure breds. No doubt the same can be said for snakes. While I would not go out and intentionally buy a cross bred snake I would certainly not kill any offspring just because they had the unfortunate luck of being a cross breed. Some of these crosses are actually quite nice looking and as a pet would be perfect for anyone who did not wish to breed. Think about it. Humans breed with humans from other cultures and people mix labradores and poodles for Gods sake so people who are dead set against cross breeding snakes need to get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back