Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres actually a naturally occurring population of albino and normal rat snakes, (Elaphe climacophora), at Iwakuni in Japan, so it is possible that albino populations can occur. With albinos being so rare thou its definitly not a common thing for any species of animal.
Pretty cool thou having a naturaly occurring population of albinos cruising around japan.
Occasionly adult albino snakes are found but not often.

The population of albinos at Iwakuni is steadily decreasin even though the area is protected and is being supported with captive bred animals, the wild type snakes are still abundant. The problem is the albinos are just too visible and vulnerable to predation.

they are still there thou boa and have been for a very long time,
I think its awsome that an animal so obvious to predators can survive in the wild.

Yeah that's true, it's just a shame they seem to be losing the battle.

70% Odd percent of people claimed on a APS Poll they owned Hyrbids?

Just because these people own Hybrids, doesnt mean they like them, or wanted a Hybrid.

So many people are sold Hyrbids as Pure, and dont know until they post a pic up.

This is what Steve actually said "the vote for those who would own hybrids was over 70%, "

Steve6610
I stand by my comment, “the right of an individual should never be at the expense of what a majority deem to be in the best interest of this hobby." If you are correct in that the majority of people in this country support crossbreeding then this comment remains valid to that majority, for the exact same reason.
I sincerely doubt though, that the majority of reptile enthusiasts in this country do actually support the crossbreeding of different species. But hey, I could be surprised.
We must keep this in perspective though, as a poll held here on this forum does not even scratch the surface of the total number of licensed keepers in this country and therefore the result would very likely be obscure. Every one who I regularly talk to with in the broad range of fields in this industry certainly do not support it. Most of these people however, do not engage them selves in these forums.
It would actually be interesting to get an Australia wide poll result though don’t you think?
Oh yeah, please do post up that section of the act I would be interested to read it.

Cheers Dave

i was only saying the appox % that i could remember, somebody that knows how to use the search function might find it for us........

and i know for 100% that there have been pure snakes posted here that were then made out to be crossed and they weren't, so it goes both ways, i know the breeder of one said snake where members on here convinced the owner that it was a cross, but i know the breeder and he is well known and it was 100% pure coastal,

see my point????????? i hope so.............

I cant use the search function either, its far to painful.
Recently ive noticed it seems alot of people think morphs, even Albinos, are the direct result of cross breeding.

Which i think has a little bit to do with the Pro-Hybrid members posting pictures of crossed Morphs ( Jungle Jaguar etc......)

I can't see that peoples misconceptions or ignorance can be put down to "pro hybrid" members. If people think an albino comes about through cross breeding it is just a lack of knowledge.

I can't see that peoples misconceptions or ignorance can be put down to "pro hybrid" members. If people think an albino comes about through cross breeding it is just a lack of knowledge.

Albino diamonds, jungles ect will be coming out soon due crosses.

What has that got to do with my statement that you quoted ?

Just pointing out that albinos can come out due to crosses as well.

Wasn't having a go at all

how can you say that cross breeding is to blame for people buying a pure bred only to find out that it is a cross... even if you ban cross breeding it will occor bause alot of people are dishonest.. also they might not want to be be attacked for having bred cross breeds and wish to sell then and not cull that cause that is cruel and heartless, so they sell them as pures. this will not always be the case cause people are just dishonest.

and what is the difference between breeding 2 different species of snakes to produce a good looking cross to selective breeding 2 of the same species to prduce a beautiful pure bred

paths might be different but the end is the same.

I realise you weren't having a go, it's fine.

The original message was that people thought albinos came about through cross breeding but that is different to cross breeding an albino with another species to produce an albino cross.
Some people apparently think that if you cross breed an albino could just pop out spontaneously which of course is just silly and highly unlikely.

Just pointing out that albinos can come out due to crosses as well.

Wasn't having a go at all

Yeah no worries, I understood your post and that albino's don't originate from crosses, just thought it was ironic that albino's will now be crossed to form new hybrids thats all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely right and there will be some stunning animals around and the assertion they will be worthless mongrels is just absurd, I think the queue will be a long one. ;-)

how can you say that cross breeding is to blame for people buying a pure bred only to find out that it is a cross... even if you ban cross breeding it will occor bause alot of people are dishonest.. also they might not want to be be attacked for having bred cross breeds and wish to sell then and not cull that cause that is cruel and heartless, so they sell them as pures. this will not always be the case cause people are just dishonest.

Of course cross breeding is to blame, of someone is sold a cross bred animal as pure, what else could be to blame????. PMSL......

If your going to breed a cross/hybrid, and the abuse you cop will make you go underground and con people when you decide to sell them as pure, you shouldnt breed them to start with if you cant handle peoples opinions on them!!

There is NO excuse for selling known Hybrids/Cross as Pure animals, perhaps these type of people should get thicker skin!

Question is will people try and flog them off as pure though, and how will we even know for sure, especially with the other thread stating that the DNA is pretty much identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back