Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ari

Reaction score
Hi All

I am just curious to know what would be a fair price for a guaranteed subadult pair of N. Asper go for? I know of sub adult N. Amyae females on their own having sold for $800+ & knowing how much rarier Asper are shouldn't they be dearer & also based on their rarity incaptivity.

Anyway will through this at everyone & see what you all reacon is a fair & reasonable pricing. It seems very strange with pricing these day when you see relatively common species of pythons which are pretty easy to come by now days in captivity still hitting the $1500 - $2000 a pair mark - so whats the go with rarier species in captivity then? Or is price based on demand like real estate?

Cheers in advance.

Cheap as chips personally......so i can afford some lol.

For a financial standing i would be inclined to have a higher standing with Asper, like you said rarity should come into it. as for a specific price i'm not sure.

I do recall a sub-adult pair or adult pair of amyae last year being sold for i think around $1500 or more.

I am also very interested in this topic Troy, as I was also considering it just today! As you have stated, Amyae's pricing seems to still be quite high with animals selling within hours of being advertised.

I am tossing up if I will keep both my males or possibly sell one and retain the other....

Yeh its an interesting topic, the other thing I guess also is that Asper aren't going to lay as many eggs as some common python species do which maybe another reason. But personally speaking I can't see why a person couldn't get just under $1500 per sub adult pair if the price of Amyae is still so high. Yeh I have seen an Amyae subadult pair sell for say $1400. But Asper have no idea really.

imo the price people pay for geckoes these days is a bit of a joke!!

id think for that species 500 would be a more realistic price!
just as i think normal knobs should only be about 60 each! i just think they are to much!!

Like most things - Price = Demand

If someone is happy to pay $1500 for an animal then it is a good buy. If I really want an outstanding animal, that I like, if I can afford it - then I buy it, regardless of market the price.

I know some ppl might think that $1500 is outrageous for a little gecko, I think $7k is outrangeous for a GTP but people pay that don't they :rolleyes: :D

As Troy alluded to, its all based on supply and demand. Asper aren't all that common in captivity, so there isn't much supply. However, it's generally only people who are really in to their geckos that would want them more than an amyae. Amyae are more common in captivity, but they're also larger and (normally) more attractive, so there's a much greater demand for them. Pythons are in a completely different ballpark, as demand for them is huge compared to any gecko.

Amyae are regularly available for $300-500 (and snapped up at that price) while all of the asper that I've personally heard of being bought have gone for $400-600. A fair price is what someone's prepared to pay for them. If you think you can get $1,500 for a sub-adult pair, then advertise them for that and you might get a buyer. I think you'd have a chance of finding someone keen enough to pay that, but I don't think you'd sell many pairs at that price.

Matt

No not really think $1500 for a subadult pair - its just had a few people asking me & I basically say "Don't know". But all feed back is welcome as I have no idea. However you are right I guess based on demand. I guess when the time comes I might just do an advert of "Make an offer"

imo the price people pay for geckoes these days is a bit of a joke!!

id think for that species 500 would be a more realistic price!
just as i think normal knobs should only be about 60 each! i just think they are to much!!

LMAO - Yeh right

Now he is attractive Matt.

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 90
I suppose I'm a little biased because I want some and I don't want you to set the price so I have to mortgage my house to buy them ;)

But yes, I think it has a lot to do with supply and demand. There will always be enthusiasts prepared to pay outrageous prices for rare and unusual animals for the sake of having something rare and unusual, which will keep the price high for the other people who would very much enjoy keeping them but simply can't afford that kind of outlay.

Personally I think that Asper arent nearly as attractive as Amyae, which I think has at least partially contributes to why they're rarer than the Amyae. They're more expensive and not as pretty so perhaps people go for the Amyae, leading to more being bred.

I'd be prepared to pay more for an Asper, but not much more, because they are rarer and I'd like to have a variety in my collection, but other than that I think the Amyae are better and worth more.

I'd be prepared to pay more for an Asper, but not much more, because they are rarer and I'd like to have a variety in my collection, but other than that I think the Amyae are better and worth more.

I don't think Amyae are worth more at all......in a few years they will drop in price due to a large supply in the hobby same as what happened to BHP & Womas.

I think Amyae are worth more to me in comparison to Asper, but I dont mean I think they are worth $1500 a pair. Personally I think they prices for them are pretty shocking and offputting.

I'm very much looking forward to the price drop when the supply increases because I like them for what they are, not just because they're expensive and somewhat elite.

I think the fact that people are willing to pay that money shows that perhaps they like them for what they are as well... ;)

Hey guys, my view is that it comes down to the actual animals for sale. If they are obvious asper as per (hey pun!) DrNicks and Geckoadz then they are worth the extra bucks.
On the other hand if they are nondescript "maybes" possibly a product of the days when they were all classed as asper then that's another story.

Hey guys, my view is that it comes down to the actual animals for sale. If they are obvious asper as per (hey pun!) DrNicks and Geckoadz then they are worth the extra bucks.
On the other hand if they are nondescript "maybes" possibly a product of the days when they were all classed as asper then that's another story.

What are obvious Asper Fishead???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back