Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here here!
Well I dont really want any pythons at all, anymore. After 20+ years of keeping them, I've finally had enough. I have now chosen the one species of reptile that I want to focus on for years to come (lacies). All the designer snakes never appealled to me in the first place, anyway, and were actually turning me off the hobby of python keeping.

Nothing beats a good ol' coastal carpet python, though.

personally i dont like roughies ,most of the childrens type pythons as well......

personally i dont like roughies ,most of the childrens type pythons as well......

Apparently roughies crashed in price from around $20,000 per pair to $500 each in a handful of years as they aren't much to look at in the eyes of many keepers in the hobby so were hard to sell.

LOL, those are my two favorites so it really just comes down to what you like the look of personally. The other consideration for me is that I don't want anything that gets too big.

i cant stand when something becomes a trend (designer or morph or even breed) especially here on APS!

People who have been keeping a long time and/or have done alot of feild herping understand that there are some amazing looking snakes out there and always has been with variety within species poping up which is super exciting.

i love a great looking snake no matter what!!!! i just hate the sheep that start following and are not even interested in the work or local involved, just a fancy name and doing what the crowd does.

if i could only keep one type of python it would be the Morelia family without a doubt.

Elapids is a whole lot harder to pick!.......soooooo much harder !!!!!!

donks

I am a purist and love to get animals that i know their locality. I HATE hybrids eg. Diamond x coastal, that have been purposely bred by someone. I am happy for other people to have them, but I will never own a hybrid. Striped animals are as "designer" as I go. Not into albinos, hypomelanistic, reduced pattern etc. I have never kept albinos but I assume that they would be difficult to keep healthy anyway (does too much light hurt their skin and eyes???) so there is no way i'd pay extra for one.

My favourite family of reptiles is the skinks. The good old blue tongue is my all time favourite. I aim to keep at least one of every sub species one day :)

LOL, those are my two favorites so it really just comes down to what you like the look of personally. The other consideration for me is that I don't want anything that gets too big.

The bigger the better :D

Chondro- Green tree python (Morelia Viridis), RSP - Rough scaled python (morelia carinata), Ackie - Ridge-tailed monitor (varanus acanthurus)

I love my spotted pythons. I wouldn't take a GTP if it was a gift and priceless. People who buy animals because they're "trendy" annoy me. Just like iPods... they come, they're expensive, they're new, and they're AWESOME! Then after a while, you find something else... and your iPod gets forgotten about. Sold off to someone who'll hopefully love and care for it.

Trendy reptiles will always be popular but trendy reptiles will change like stupid fashions do. Goannas, BHPs, turtles etc. wont care they will eat all the lame trendy stuff when it goes out of fashion :lol:

Agree with serpenttounge, although have few differant species instead of lacies, even a few boring pythons.

I find most fish i catch in the brisbane river more interesting than trendy pythons.

Last edited:
I have 5 coastals I love them I think they have the widest variety of patterns and colour and there my pets sure Id like to have albinos and GTPs but Id never buy them just to show off Id buy them because there bueatiful looking reptiles

In answer to the original question, I can't stand striped pythons. They really don't do it for me in the looks department and I don't even bother opening new threads now if I know its going to be about a striped animal/project. Also not too keen on the RPM animals either though I can understand why people like them.

I don't think that much of striped pythons, they look intersting, but personally I'd rather nature made the pattern at random for me, rather than a breeder selectively making stripey snakes (I have nothing against those that like, own or breed stripeys, they're just not for me).

GTPs, I'd love one, but later on in life I think. Not because they're popular or trendy or anything like that; I love the shape of their heads and the colours. It's the same reason I'd love to get an olive, woma, or any of the antaresia snakes.

I do and always have found reptiles facinating, I like them all and enjoy keeping any species at least for a short time to get to understand them better; I really cant pick any that I don't like, but these days I don't like to keep herps that require high amounts of effort just to keep them alive, for the animals sake.... some of my favs though are:
Beardies; very entertaining and they really adapt well to being held captive, keeping them can teach you alot about keeping in general, esp if you can read behaviour well. Though I don't keep them at all these days, been there and done that.
Pinktounge skinks, I like the natural pattern variations, their shyness and have a soft spot for the whole genus, to me at least they are a very different type of lizard.
Brown Tree Snakes, I love asian type tree snakes and BTS are pretty much just that, I love the way they hang on a branch and their big eyes... and also the fact that few people bother to keep them.

Geckos are my poison and after years of playing around with different things I have landed on the idea and run with it ...
Unfortunatley I can't say the same as the above thread contributions , the color variation the morph potential and the feeling of excitement when your two eggs are hatching are unbelievable

But after finally finding my groove I can honesty say that I have a new found respect

for those who find there own groove and run with it ,
When someone shows a little bit of cockyness over there collections Whether it be high end snakes , skinks , turtles or geckos . Just
remember that there probably just proud of there work and conveying there enthusiasm for there preferred animals

i love albinos but i don't like woma and BHP much cause i don't like their head shape much.

I keep a few but i am not really a python fan. I love their looks but I am more interested in an animals behavior.

Other then the inverts I think my keeping future lies with small monitors, in particular the aerborial species. I just love them and I can see myself acquiring many more of these over the next few years.

I dont like and will never own any of the ants' etc or the gtp, or anything striped.
I have coastals, jungles a md and a beardie and will soon get a bhp and albino darwin.
I only get pythons that i like regardless of the price or what people think
One of my coastals is my personal fave - nothing special about him just a great snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back