Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozziepythons

Reaction score
There are many popular species in captivity coming with a high price tag that many keepers seem to own just to say that they do. It is often assumed that if you don't have them you can't afford them or lack finesse. But... for example, I have no interest in green tree pythons; black headed pythons; albino anything; etc, even though I could own them all if I wanted to.
So when someone thinks they have big noted themselves to you listing their 'elite' captive specimens, which ones make you think 'big deal'?
Also add a couple of favourite species in your posts just so we know where your keeping passion is at.

Isn't more about what you like yourself? I like greens and I keep greens. If stimmies were $10k each I still wouldn't want them..

Isn't more about what you like yourself? I like greens and I keep greens. If stimmies were $10k each I still wouldn't want them..
yup i agree , i couldnt give a stuff if pepole did or didnt like to keep what i have . its my choice , i can see this thread going down hill fast ;)

albinos man i cant see the point myself they look unnatural and freaky like they have an illness or something they guy next door had one i think its a darwin, idk cause i dont like them, i love pure strains of aussie snakes if i had a choice of any reptile anywhere it would be a thorny devil , a copperhead, and a roughie. all tho that black darwin in the thread above is kinda nice lookin i will admit lol .
i guess im old but i like a stock snake over designer snake anyday but im a weird newbie :p

I agree with Kurto. I love Coastals and there cheap as chips, if they were more expensive I'd still want them.

Completely agree with all previous comments. I keep what I keep because I like the animals and couldn't care less if people didn't like them.

I don't want this to be a nasty thread, its just interesting to find out what different keepers really think of varying species.

yup i agree , i couldnt give a stuff if pepole did or didnt like to keep what i have . its my choice , i can see this thread going down hill fast ;)

Ditto. Not about the going down hill fast thing, just that I think MOST people buy reptiles as per their own liking and not others around them.

Perhaps tho, if one person sees another with a pretty (perhaps more expensive, 'rare' or some sort of mutation or whatever snake), then they might also want that pretty snake.

If we likes, we usually wants, then we usually gets....

I feel exactly the same way mate, I've never been into GTPs, black heads and I'd take a nice Stimmie or RSP over any albino. Personally I appreciate snakes for the way they've evolved to be perfectly adapted to their environment so I find it difficult to get into the strange looking morphs and have no interest to hand over exorbitant sums for something that is fashionable.

I have no interest in green tree pythons; black headed pythons; albino anything; etc, even though I could own them all if I wanted to.

I agree that price has nothing to do with it and it's all about what you like. I keep ackies, but not because they're cheap - because they are awesome. And if a spotted was 10K I wouldn't buy one to say I had one that's dumb.

On topic though, I don't really like the new designer looking things. RPMs are ugly, albinos look diseased and anything other than a green GTP is horrid (all those multicoloured ones, blergh)

EDIT: actually I quite like albino olives but not MDs

Yeah albinos, their just white thats not impressive whereas some of the normal Darwin carpets I work with are amazing to look at with contrasting colours and patterns IMO.

If green tree pythons were the most commonly kept species and $5 each, I would still aspire to have them. I also keep albino darwins, various geckos and beardies, coastal carpets and stimmies. Sure there's a lot of hype about some new morphs of different colours being experimented with, but I think this is a good thing. Mostly (and I know there are exceptions to this) it's doing something positive for the hobby - i.e. people are trying to branch out and discover new and exciting morphs etc. I can't see the majority of morphs doing anything negative for the hobby (maybe the exception is the neurological problems with jags) as most non-reptile people like pretty things and some of the new morphs are amazing...

That's exactly how I feel, I really don't see the appeal.

albinos man i cant see the point myself they look unnatural and freaky like they have an illness or something

Personally, I don't like a lot of the 'striped' anything I have seen.
To me they look like a garden hose.

I don't love anything white (including dogs, horses etc) or some of the 'reduced pattern' pythons.

I don't understand why you would take something with a nice colour or pattern and breed it out of them :?

Just my opinion :)

Well I dont really want any pythons at all, anymore. After 20+ years of keeping them, I've finally had enough. I have now chosen the one species of reptile that I want to focus on for years to come (lacies). All the designer snakes never appealled to me in the first place, anyway, and were actually turning me off the hobby of python keeping.

Nothing beats a good ol' coastal carpet python, though.

Some ppl like the higher animals..some like the not so expensive...each to there own.Ive had alot of different carpet sub-species Aspidities-GTPS...My personal choice are Aspidities as they keep ya on ur toes most of the time...(compared to alot of other species).IMO i dont think many brag what they have,in fact ALOT wouldnt even say what they have....As ive had chondros b4 just watching them go from yellow-maroon to green is a stunning site to watch...Doesnt mean at all there big noting...Just proud of what they have.....

IMO i dont think many brag what they have,in fact ALOT wouldnt even say what they have...Doesnt mean at all there big noting...Just proud of what they have.....

Fair point to make. The smarter people keep close to their chest who they let know what high end herps they keep. But this one guy I spoke to bragged like his species were as good as it gets and he was their king, and I was thinking "what a tool, and those species are boring to me".

each to their own. personally, i'd like one of everything cause i like pythons full stop. I'm sure there are people out there that own expensive reptiles just to bug note themselves, but they would be in the small minority. lets retitle this thread what python dont you like.

I keep the reptiles that I like looking at and caring for. Nothing is for the sake of it and nothing is there just to fit in with the trends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back