Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidonia

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I always get a chuckle remembering my workmates asking me questions about my snakes. :lol:

The two that stand out are:

"Do you smack them if they bite you?"
"Do they play with you?"

Also I'll never forget the day I showed my nanna, who I was living with at the time, my snake's poo (it was giant) and she was so surprised and asked "What is that? Did Mesaana do that?!" confused by her shock I replied "Yeah.. It's her poo, Why?" to which she replied "I didn't even realised they did poos!".

Share your amusing questions/stories from the uninformed!

Of course theres always the -

"What kind of snake is that?"
"It's a so and so python"
"What happens if it bites you? You'll die!"
"No its a python"
"Do they not bite?"
"No, they are not venomous"
"How do you know?"
"I give up."

I've also had a few people ask why I bother to feed them rats when I could just feed them my dinner scraps or catch bugs for them outside :rolleyes:

Then theres the venomous snake stories that they've heard from a friend of a friend....they are out to kill us in anyway they can! lol

OR

How do they know that your calling them if you don't name them?

The most common I've had are
Do they fight (they assume they're all housed together),
Do I just let them roam the house,
Do they bite,
What does their poo look like.

I had a well meaning, but misguided mate give me a rat the other day. He caught it next to his aviaries (he breeds budgies), said it was a bit sluggish so he wasn't sure if it had gotten into the baits or not. Despite my protests he insisted I take it, so I got it home (by this stage it had died & was put in the freezer for me), & I chucked it straight into the wheelie bin (lucky it was bin night). I told him thanks but don't bother saving rats for me, I have plenty of stock.

ok i have a winner here....this was from a 21 yr old female visitor to my house.."But arent ALL snakes venemous"....?? wth?..yes she really thought all the snakes in the world are venemous...sigh. schools must be doing a great job..what happened to handle a snake day at school!..remember that.

My real estate agent asked if they take....great chunks out of you when they bite you.....I had to explain that they eat their food whole, and don't actually bite pieces out of their food.

I've had so many friends ask me:

"is it poisonous?"

When I respond with:

"Don't worry, I'm not planning to eat it"

They just stare blankly.

In response to sockpuppet:

You are not alone here. People keep asking me why i just can't catch rats for my snake instead of buying them, and when i explain to them that you don't know what diseases wild ones have, their typical response is "Well wild ones dont die from eating them"

"is it poisonous?"
When I respond with:
They just stare blankly.

HAHAHAHA! That's great :lol:

"is it poisonous?"

When I respond with:

They just stare blankly.

:lol::lol: I love it!!!
I'm gonna use that one next hahaha

The usual,

Does it bite
Is it poisonous
Will it kill you if it bites you
Do they fight
Being in your room do they size you up to eat you when your sleeping
Just feed it bugs
Why buy it when you can catch them and put it in a tank
Arent you scared??!!??
They dont need heat
I caught one do you want it?
Do they glow? <---- yepp, been asked that...

At least some people like to say my snakes are pretty when they meet them :)

And there's always the story someone tells you when they find out you have snakes. You know the one they heard of, about the lady who's snake was lying straight along the bed next to her and the vet told her it was sizing her up to eat her....Muppets...

EDIT:
:lol::lol:
Being in your room do they size you up to eat you when your sleeping:)
Beat me to it.

was gonna say that one too,

we get that every time we have a party or get together, worst one is we have a sign out the front for comical purposes, its designed like a beware of dog sign, but says beware of snakes, and we get people who stand at the stairs yelling out, "is it safe to come up", when we say its fine, we get "Oh do you leave the snakes roam the house?, its very dangerous keeping them......."

At least it stops a lot of sales people coming around tho!

one of my teachers asked me do you have a snake?
yeah
what type?
childrens python
is it poisonous?
no
so does it have fangs?

"why do you have to thaw the rats, wouldn't it be easier to feed them frozen " :shock:

ok i have a winner here....this was from a 21 yr old female visitor to my house.."But arent ALL snakes venemous"....?? wth?..yes she really thought all the snakes in the world are venemous...sigh.

I once spoke to a lady around the same age as me (35), that had never heard of a python!! I still cant get my head around that!

I caught one do you want it?
Actually yeah I forgot about that one. Nearly always concerning local blue tongues (Easterns). Then there's the usual follow up questions (& answers) after I politely refuse.
But it might have been run over/attacked/mowed etc
> They seem to have survived in suburbia for a long time now, I think they're coping OK, let the poor thing go
But you don't have to tell the authorities you have it
> Doesn't matter, I'm not going to risk the consequences of an off-licence animal, you should probably let the poor thing go.
I haven't seen one here before, I thought it might be a pet & couldn't survive in the wild
> Nah it'll be right. I reckon you should let the poor thing go.

That kind of thing.

whats a vent?
it's where the poo, among other things
wait, they poo?
*mutter*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back