Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isn't really anything to do with the topic, but it really frustrates me when people are revolted by him and say he's disgusting.

wow o_O some of this stuff I surprisingly havn't come across YET (even though it's no surprise it would be asked...), but for the majority of it all, all of us herp keepers have had something stupid asked to some degree. I just wish that one day people wouldn't be so ignorant and actually know SOMETHING about them! Wouldn't that be the life lol

I thought it was common knowledge no snakes are poisonous.

This is so not true - I know of a s snake that entered a cyanide factory, smeared itself in cyanide and then went for a leisurely stroll in the bush killing many innocent animals....

That snake was highly poisonous...

I think it's very common for people to confuse or misuse English in many ways - and venomous and poisonous are common misuses....

The one that threw me was a comment by a couple of female friends of my son to which he had been showing our frogs and some children's pythons:
This house is like a, a, a holiday park!

it was just so out of left field... and you could hear the excitement in her voice as she said it.

i'm allways asked weather my snakes can smell fear" and if they can will they bite...idotis.
but mostley is it venomous

I thought it was common knowledge no snakes are poisonous.

This is so not true - I know of a s snake that entered a cyanide factory, smeared itself in cyanide and then went for a leisurely stroll in the bush killing many innocent animals....

That snake was highly poisonous...

I think it's very common for people to confuse or misuse English in many ways - and venomous and poisonous are common misuses....

Oh well if we are going to be little miss technical :p

I do know the difference between toxins and poisons, one's made by critters, etc. and the other isn't, I learnt all about it in critter school last year... I just don't put my knowledge to good use... :?

Amy22 - I just say to people "Well, YOU have kids..."

So very true...

I once got asked by someone wanting to get a snake whether they could feed it the same food that they feed their yabbie.

Oh well if we are going to be little miss technical :p

I do know the difference between toxins and poisons, one's made by critters, etc. and the other isn't, I learnt all about it in critter school last year... I just don't put my knowledge to good use... :?

So very true...

I won Miss Technical 2009 and I'm in the fore-running for the title again in 2010 - if I win Miss Technical 2010 I'll be the first person to win twice in a row since the event began!

Personally - I think I've got a lot of competition - and English Nazis commonly win it. As I am not really an English Nazi I don't stand a chance...

I won Miss Technical 2009 and I'm in the fore-running for the title again in 2010 - if I win Miss Technical 2010 I'll be the first person to win twice in a row since the event began!

Personally - I think I've got a lot of competition - and English Nazis commonly win it. As I am not really an English Nazi I don't stand a chance...

Everyone at APS wishes you the best of luck. We believe in you!

*cue motivational music*

''I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky,
think about it every night and day, spread my wings and fly away...''

Thank you for your warm wishes and sing-a-long song.... I know I can do it... I believe!

I didn't get this one directly but a friend was asked what the difference between pythons and snakes is.

Another friend refused to stay here because she thought the elapids would come upstairs when it rained - apparently we let them roam free in the room they're in.

I've been told by a 15 year old girl that she de-fanged her pet brown herself. She called it a King Brown, and then told me where she found it. Turned out to be a place well away from Mulga areas.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked if I'm worried the pythons will eat the kids or strangle us in our sleep. Or people haven't wanted to come inside in case the step on a snake, or one jumps out at them. Again, it appears all the animals are let to run wild in the house.

If I hear someone ask if pythons are venomous one more time I think I may spontaneously combust. I know people who don't keep snakes don't necessarily know much about them, but still.

we should all snake proof our houses and let venomous pythons roam our houses free to eat and crap on whoever the like.

Will

i always answer the venomous question with " well, it's the most venomous pythons in the world".

what about, is it true they can bite you ten times in a second?

i have been asked the most retarded questions

' wow your geckos are so cute, will they eat goldfish food ? '

' do all blue tongues have blue tongues, coz i saw a lizard the other day and it didnt have a blue tongue '

' can u die if a lizard licks you ? '

' wil snakes eat potatoes coz my parents have lots of them and i want a snake ? '

' are water dragons really dragons ? '

thats all i can remember, will let u know if i remember more lol

How many times have I heard a friend say that someone they knew kept a snake in the bath...

And once I had all my cousins over (apparently I'm awesome because I'm an adult but I'm still totally into cartoons and sleepovers and cubby houses). They all wanted me to take out Monty boo out and one of my cousins (well he's a 'sort of' cousin) proceeded to give a lecture on how Monty can smell fear, and while I was holding Monty he slipped and nearly fell (if it wasnt wasn't for my amazing catch, all caught on camera), but he was totally fine of course because 'snakes can jump'. Yes thank you for all your advice, for I do not know anything about snakes, I just caught Monty in the bush and keep him in the bath and feed him mice that I killed with rat bait.

Just got asked this on another forum.
another thing I would like to ask....I have been told to always wear a hat in summer, not only for sun protection, but if I come across a snake, I should toss the hat to distract the snake so I can get away, will this work?
lol

some of these are classics. I cant beat any of them. One thing for sure if you want to make sure your inlaws never come around get snakes. They really hate that and wont even get out of the car in the driveway hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back