Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
''another thing I would like to ask....I have been told to always wear a hat in summer, not only for sun protection, but if I come across a snake, I should toss the hat to distract the snake so I can get away, will this work?''

Who would be so heartless to sacrafice a hat like that?!

hows the croc going?

once people find out I have the croc they feel the need to ask me every single time they see me just 'How's the croc going?"
Im not sure how much people expect a croc to do or grow in a week, but it really does nothing.

People always ask why the snakes never move....during the day.

I have people always ask me about Monty too, I mean literally people I haven't spoken to in years, like some disant relative at a familty party, will ask me about him. I just stand there blankly and think 'how do you even KNOW about him?'.

got a pearler last night from my mates girlfriend, he has a couple of snakes of his own too, she asked me "if i wear latex gloves do you think it'll help my fear of snakes and ill be able to hold them? you know so i cant feel them on my skin" lol

i didnt kno what to say all i could do was sit and stare at her blankly and confused lol

ha, they sure do get along great. Just ask micro bats how well they get along with Anteresia, or fruit bats with scrubbies or coastals
Python tackles fruit bat | Sunshine Coast Pets | Animal and Dog News in Sunshine Coast | The Sunshine Coast Daily
I went out with my family once when I was younger to a well known bat cave at sundown to watch all the bats emerging, and there was a snake hanging out at the cave entrance and it grabbed a bat as they came out...smart snake

I went out with my family once when I was younger to a well known bat cave at sundown to watch all the bats emerging, and there was a snake hanging out at the cave entrance and it grabbed a bat as they came out...smart snake

Go to Undara in North Queensland and you'll see the most stunning examples of night tigers in the world - they wait at the exit to the cave in trees and they take turns at grabbing one of the 750,000 (approx) micro-bats that fly out.

Very amazing to watch - though not sure it's smart - they just take wild swings in the dark with mouth open and eventually a bat falls in!

I remember one night in town I was talking to some people about the snakes and one of the girls asks what do I do with them at night?

Of course I answered they just all come and snuggle up in the bed with me at some stage when they're tired.

She then continued to ask - what do you do if you bring a girl home?

I said - she'll just have to sleep on the side of the bed as the snakes are so used to taking up the middle....

She continued the questions... "Don't you squash them if you roll over?"

"No - they like it like that - I'm like a comfy blanket to them."

Snakes aye... they're a mystery and a fascination to the world....

Regarding breeding pythons, I have been asked to describe what their mating looks like, as though people expect snakes to consult the Karma Sutra and pick some wild position to do it in :rolleyes:

I usually say:
'Well, they generally just tense their tails and lie together - how acrobatic can you be expected to be when you have no limbs?' :lol:

one of my friends asked me if a snake poos on you does it burn like acid?

This guy puts onion on a snakebite,when i told him not to put anything on a bite i got this

Please explain why as I have used this on horses, dogs, cats, kid's for oh probably since the mid 60's and no fatalities to date!!! Oh my great granny, and granny also used it too!!!! Have had Drs and vets commend me on my bush survival skills, good for spider bites too!!!!

Now I have used this on myself and driven to town about 100 miles. Now to date I have had 3 pesky red back bites, 2 tiger snakes, 3 King browns, and red bellies to many to remember, Alziemers setting in. Not to mention the funel web while holidaying in Sydney. But would be much interested in your professional scientific approach to treating bites.

regarding the beardies everyone asks, 'how do u tell them apart?!'
gee, they look as individual as people do!!

I got asked if they try to get into my bed..??:shock:?? wth? lol :rolleyes:

This guy puts onion on a snakebite,when i told him not to put anything on a bite i got this
Who DOESN'T put onion on snakebites? I be doin' it since 1936! Oh we used onions to treat all kinds of things, snakebites, spiderbites, rate bites, the plague, you name it... I would always use the yellow onion I wore on my belt, which was the style at the time...

The most common for me would be "do you let them roam around the house?", followed by a no, they're in separate enclosures...."so where do you keep them all...in the house or something?"

People always want to know the price tag aswell lol

I once spoke to a lady around the same age as me (35), that had never heard of a python!! I still cant get my head around that!

Thats a recurring frustration of mine. the conversation goes:

"What happens if he bites you? wont you die?"
"no, he's a python"
"so he'lll just make you sick"
"no, he's a python, he doesnt have venom"
"I heard all snakes have venom, just some not enough to kill you"
"you heard wrong"
"no im pretty sure im right" (or) "id stay away anyway, just in case"

theres also the big ones previously mentioned...

has it ever lay down next to you to size you up?
can it escape?
why would you like them? theyre so cold and slimy...
can you feed it now?

and my personal favourite (because i used to work a 72 hour run over the weekends)

"who feeds him and looks after him while your gone?"
"no-one"
"WHAT?!?! you just let him starve?"
"no he only eats once a week."
"thats just cruel!"
"stop talking now."

Re: my Murray Darling juvenile..

"Will you get his fangs removed when he's big?"

And my favourite, from Mum;

"Does he need a toy to play with?"

Edit: Jst realised how old this thread is... Sorry to drag it back up!

[Edit: Jst realised how old this thread is... Sorry to drag it back up![/QUOTE]

oh well !! i think the best one is a simple WHY?

And there's always the story someone tells you when they find out you have snakes. You know the one they heard of, about the lady who's snake was lying straight along the bed next to her and the vet told her it was sizing her up to eat her....Muppets...

EDIT:
Beat me to it.

I am so sick of hearing this story! we need to re name this website to: "APS - no that old wives tale isn't true they don't lie on your bed next to you and no it wasn't your friend you don't even know the person.com"

I know this is an old thread but was asked today how my snakes pluck the birds that they eat? Or whether I pluck them first before feeding.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back