Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many gravid olives do you have James?! I hope you have a very large incubator. I wouldn't fancy taking their eggs away if they got cranky - what a nightmare!

How many gravid olives do you have James?! I hope you have a very large incubator. I wouldn't fancy taking their eggs away if they got cranky - what a nightmare!

Looks like a few clutches this season.
Olive clutches do take up alot of room, as they are large eggs and all but one of my girls are calm, even when collecting eggs, but that one girl that isn't calm, is a hand full come feed, clean and taking her eggs time!!!!:shock::shock:

Cheers

my female maculosa is not showing anysigns of being gravid, no shed, no belly up and no significant weight gain
very dissapointed for the second year in a row

Thanks James

Curious to know how old your Olive girl is and at what age did they start breeding for you?

1st pic- shes 7yrs, 2nd pic- shes 15+yrs and 3rd pic- shes 11yrs. The youngest that i have had a female lay a fertile clutch is 4yrs and males seem to be able to get the job done at 3yrs. I think with breeding olives it all comes down to your male and i also like to use two males to one female(not at the same time of course)

Cheers

Thanks for the response and info James, so many conflicting responses out there when it comes to the correct age of breeding Olives. I've heard as early as 2.5 years for the female, which I find a bit hard to believe.

Thanks for the response and info James, so many conflicting responses out there when it comes to the correct age of breeding Olives. I've heard as early as 2.5 years for the female, which I find a bit hard to believe.

I also find it hard to believe, it might have happened a few times, but if that was the case, i think we would see alot more white olives being produced.
I find olives the more challenging to breed of our pythons.

Cheers

2.5 years is fine if you have kept a Morelia feeding well, but I can't imagine it for an olive. Nice to see such a lovely teenage 'girl' pregnant as your second one, James.

2.5 years is fine if you have kept a Morelia feeding well, but I can't imagine it for an olive. Nice to see such a lovely teenage 'girl' pregnant as your second one, James.

Thanks pythonmum, she is a lovely looking girl, just wish she had a lovely attitude to match!

Olives can and will mate successfully at 2.5yrs with their eggs hatching at 3yrs. I have done this with both normal and albino olives with out any problems and with all fertile eggs no slugs. I only ever use one male to acheive this.
If kept right olives are a very easy snake to breed.
You seem to be keeping them right james, as you seem to have no trouble breeding them, well done.

Last edited:
re Gravid

Bhp layed a few days ago,heres pic of her curled around eggs,looking a bit worst for wear on the scales. cheers

Olives can and will mate successfully at 2.5yrs with their eggs hatching at 3yrs. I have done this with both normal and albino olives with out any problems and with all fertile eggs no slugs. I only ever use one male to acheive this.
If kept right olives are a very easy snake to breed.
You seem to be keeping them right james, as you seem to have no trouble breeding them, well done.

Thanks mate.

I know you have had great success with breeding olives and you are the only one that i know of that has breed them that young.
Do you know the lenght and approx weight of your olives at the time when they went at 2.5yrs?
Are you having any success with white ones this season?

Cheers

Last edited:
This lady still has approx.14 days to go and she has been restless for nearly 5 days now.
........solar 17 (Baden)
6048411710_fba75f3710.jpg

Here is a gravid olive at 2.5 yrs of age.
This was when i was breeding them for a friend when i was up north a few years back, she was about 7 feet in length. Ive never bothered to weight any of my snakes, i just dont see the point as i can just tell when they are ready to breed size wise.

Attachments

• gravid olive.jpg
    gravid olive.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 212
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This one should be the second girl to lay in about 2 weeks. This pic is post pre-lay:)

This one is due 11th of August:)

The second female has deposited her 2011 clutch as expected.
Another 18 beautiful eggs.
Next 2 clutches should be around Fathers Day:)
Cheers and good luck to all

Great action shot Mick! I am so jealous of your beautiful girls laying already. Then again, I know how hard you have worked to get here, so it's hardly a fluke. Baden and TrueBlue - also absolute stunners. You certainly know how to condition an olive TrueBlue. She is absolutely magnificent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back