Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtle

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Found this forum a few days ago when I started looking for snakes after going to my first mixed LFS ( local fish shop ) that sold some pythons! I keep fish on a large scale redoing my fishroom now as have just moved but I am in love with snakes I never showed much interest as I always thought the license would be insanely hard to get it looks easy so going to give it a shot!
* crosses fingers *

I am not sure if I should ask here? but from what I gather by reading a few pages the last week, any snake that is amazing to the owner should be prefect for the first timer under the terms that they can provided it with the prefect requirements?

I cant decided on a Jaguar ( would go with my fish :D but he has bigger teeth I think :evil: ) or a jungle even diamonds are amazing but the black on yellow is wheow! I believe if I chose a Jag I need to look hard and well for a good blood line/ breeder to avoid the morph? If my first note is wrong what of these would be the best? I don't mind being bitten also, I would like something that would enjoy being handled a bit more, I understand when younger they should be handled less!

Is it better to start with a hatching? or something a bit bigger?

any books you would recommend? I have been reading doc rock and a few posts but I cant seem to find much or I am searching all the wrong keywords! I am not sure if it would be smart to get the snake when my license comes and go with what I have gathered and gain some hand on knowledge whilst reading also or read an awful lot then get the python? with fish I have just got the basics then acquired the pet and learn from there on but I believe snakes and fish are a lot different ;)

Sorry if a lot of this has been answered before, I am not very good at finding information on the net! and sorry for such a big ask as my first post :oops:

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the site, you'll find everyone here very helpful....and remember there's no such thing as a silly question. Everyone started with one snake and we all learned from there. I have a 3 yr old male Stimsons python. Only ever wanted a small species, and will only ever have the one snake, I've had him 2 yrs. Personally I feel if you get a yearling that is an established feeder it makes it easier for you. I believe some hatchies can be difficult to feed. Sounds like you want something bigger than a Stimmie, but if you are interested in Stimmies or Childrens, then I suggest a book called....Keeping Children's Pythons...by Greg Fyfe & Darren Green. Just a little book, but very informative. If you want something bigger I'm sure someone here will help you.
Cheers, Annie

Hi, welcome to the site, you'll find everyone here very helpful....and remember there's no such thing as a silly question. Everyone started with one snake and we all learned from there. I have a 3 yr old male Stimsons python. Only ever wanted a small species, and will only ever have the one snake, I've had him 2 yrs. Personally I feel if you get a yearling that is an established feeder it makes it easier for you. I believe some hatchies can be difficult to feed. Sounds like you want something bigger than a Stimmie, but if you are interested in Stimmies or Childrens, then I suggest a book called....Keeping Children's Pythons...by Greg Fyfe & Darren Green. Just a little book, but very informative. If you want something bigger I'm sure someone here will help you.
Cheers, Annie

Completely agree

And welcome to the darkside :D

Thanks guys!

I just like the patterns on a larger snake size does not worry me big or small personality is more a concern but every one will be different! I found an albino jungle thats an amazing looking snake! someone also had a pure white with purple in the picture I think thats photo shopped?

reading this book about childrens python should not cause any harm but? i could still gain useful knowledge for larger snakes?

Thanks a lot!

read anything and everything you can find. you'll find a lot of common things in all species (eg: feeding, heating, shedding tips} that will give you a good foundation to work with. Once you've decided what species you can then get more specific info.

doing the research is a great start, and it can be confusing but you know where to come for some clarification and extra info when you need it.

let us know what you decide on. Happy hunting :D

I take it this would be a super good book to read?

Extreme Reptile Supplies

Most people say its a good read any feed back?

Thanks everyone for your advice! I am pushing towards an albino jungle I believe but I still cant make my mind up the black n yellow is amazing but the albinos look just as good in there own way! 2 setups might be pushing it but! dam already getting hooked without even 1 snake.....

hi welcome my first snake was a jungle and never regretted it =)
also the albino your looking at is probably a darwin carpet as im pretty sure albino jungles dont exist yet unless they are bred with albino darwins over a few generations.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Going to order the book soon as my pay comes in!

The albino I was looking at is a Jag they call it a Super Red Hypo Jaguar on the site but I think its an overseas site! Untitled Document

Very cute! the tiger jungle is also a nice one theres so many! one member even had a white and purple one but I am pretty sure thats photo shopped.

Thanks again everyone. :)

The only way you'll get one of those is if you live overseas. We aren't allowed to import into Australia, give it a few more years and we will no doubt see some of the more abstract patterns appear here. Check some of the for sale ads and the breeder site from the front page, you'll get a better idea of what is available to you

PS: that breeder is overseas and in the process of moving to sweden :)

dam D:! I wish they had a black and purple snake! heading to the sale section now! thanks.

Yes very sexy photo shopped ones :D this one made my back ground lol, now how do I show pictures......View attachment 221257 there we go :)

Thanks for the link! I am a bit mad about it but also, I found snakewhisperer.com and looking at a double or quad enclosure already... there are so many nice snakes out there its hard not too pay the extra and be set for the future.

The pic didn't work, go into advanced settings, that seems to work.

There are some great enclosure builders around, steins also do some very unique ones. I prefer the display ones over the standard box/banks. I figure the snake doesn't care as long as it's needs are met and I'm the one that's gonna be looking at it for they next decade or two :)

awwww I tried so hard to get it up! busted a few brain cells in the process.

Round 2 ding ding

the price for the enclosures seems nice and they do look nice imo not that they should the exact one might have to send an email away! Could always put some posters on it to make them look nice the cheap way ;) Thats how i make doors for my fish tank stands lol photo printing shops get them to print it to the closest side then just add Velcro strips and bobs your uncle :)

Hope the picture works!

Attachments

• Photoshop_Snake_HD_wallpaper_purple.jpg
    Photoshop_Snake_HD_wallpaper_purple.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 135
I know right! so any ideas which shop thats from, I think I came across a few not so long ago :rolleyes:

Just a quickie if you have time, Is it safe to shut an enclosure off from fresh air? I gather the snake needs fresh air to shed and to reduce mold, help humidity but not sure if its safe to shut the wardrobe doors why I sleep or so got an awesome spot for an enclosure out of harms way but yeah thats the only issue.

Thanks Jaxrtfm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back