Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching a docco on australian pythons, and they had a good bit about the pet trade, so I jumped on the computer and did some research and fell in love from there on.

I started of loving liards etc then my passion for reptiles grew to the next level when i started a very keen in interest snakes.

This isn't about me, but a friend of mine who's also a muso and he figured that a) chicks dig guys who play guitar and b)chicks dig guys who play guitar AND own snakes. He owns 2 now, both Children's...but hasn't had much luck with getting the ladies

Seen snakes in the wild as a teenager, but was always terrified as I had been taught that snakes are 'bad'.
About 5 years ago went up to Airlie Beach with hubby & the little fella and took them to the wildlife park that was there at the time. They done a snake display and I thought I so want to hold a snake. Well she was a beautiful Water Python and I was hooked!!!
The guy took us out the back where all the other snakes were, (and no-one else was allowed) and told & showed us heaps.
Within 2 weeks I had my permit AND my first snake.
2 years later I had my first attempt at breeding (Gosford Diamonds) and was totally besotted with the babies!!
I now have snake tattoos & my car is known to all as 'little snake'.(Don't ask).
I couldn't possibly imagine life without my snakes now. As far as I'm concerned, they're my kids.
Well that's how I got into them..........................but i'll never get out!!!!;)

A reticuled python paid us a visit in my home in Malaysia, it got stuck in the curtain rails, managed to usher it down with a gentle spray of water and it calmly slithered out the front door stopping to inspect my dog's kennel first, thankfully Ceaser was in the backyard or he might have made a meal of the little snake. I was amazed by it's grace and agility and am now the proud owner of my first snake, a gorgeous MD, Medusa!

for me it al started with a baby bluie i found and kept for years and it died so i said to the missus now i can get a snake, which didnt go down very well but i have had him for 6mths and she is slowly coming around, the only bugger is she is preggers and she wont let me buy any more poor me

My other half had his teenage "wouldn't it be cool to own a snake" phase so i bought him a carpet python for his birthday.
I use to hate the thing but over the years have grown accustom to it, specially when he lost all interest and i became her primary care giver, damn you boys !!
Now we own 3 snakes, 2 carpets and an olive and plan on extending the collection with a black headed python next. The last 2 snakes we have bought are mine, lol
Our middle sized carpet Rok is great, he shed yesterday about 2.5m, i think i actually love him, lol, wish i could cuddle him

Some of the storys are great! So many ways people became to love snkaes.

Growing Passion

Since I was young I was fascinated with all animals, but with snakes, it was in more of a quiet way as my parents didn't like them. I guess they didn't think they were 'nice' or 'normal' animals :rolleyes:. I had toy snakes and my parents thought I was mad or something. :lol:

As I got older, I kept different animals, mainly birds and fish but was still facinated by the beauty of the snake. At that stage, I never thought I could ever keep one, that it was only for 'special people' like zoo keepers and the like.

It wasn't until about a year ago, that my facination grew serious. I found out that keeping your own python was 'within my reach' and started to research all I could about them. It was the shape, colours and patterns which first interested me, but it was something more. The fact that snakes are so misunderstood and judged wrongly caused me to identify with them. I saw them as unique, wonderful creatures that many people simply didn't like based soley on appearances or bad (and wrong) reputation.

I got well and truely 'hooked' when I went to Warrawong Sanctuary, here in SA, for my birthday and held their lovely male MD named 'Bailey'. The comments I received from the keeper as well as the others around, that I was a natural at it. I was surprised as I hadn't really handled a snake before. :eek: I used this as a self test to see if I really felt comfortable and serious about getting a snake. I joined this forum to learn more.

So now, I'm continuing my serious research into the needs of a python. I feel it is my duty to learn all I can before getting my python, for the best interest of the snake.

(And I seem to be 'stuck on' the beauty of MDs now!!! ) :D :D

Well it all started when i was still in the womb..... lol na i have been interested in and loved reptiles since i was born, when i was to young to catch bugs and herps myself i'd get mum to do it for me lol, then as i grew older i was allways catching every type of herp i found to show everyone (which often produced a "GET THAT THE HELL OUT OF HERE" by the parents) i used to bring home browns, red belly blacks, whip snakes, carpets, red naped snakes, green tree snakes, beardies bluies everything you can find in brisbane and ipswich pretty much. then when i was 15 i got my license and got my first snake who i still have today and yeah been into herps and inverts my whole life. :D cant really explain why i like em so much reptiles have just allways been a big passion in my life and i cant see myself ever not having one around. :)

Steven

My interest in reptiles is pretty new. I have been following and supporting my daughters growing interest for years until recently getting a blue tongue lizard that she saved for (she is 6). I had joined this site to learn about the care of reptiles and find myself spending way too many hours looking at the for sale section... I think it really is addictive. I can now see the beauty of a snake, but my interest in keeping would be more for lizards.

A funny story in my daughters journey... when she was about 18 months old, we were having pics taken with the python at Australia Zoo. I was very nervous and not at all keen. My girl was still into tasting everything at that stage and stuck the snakes tail in her mouth :shock:. The photographer yelled out NO don't bite the snake. With all the laughter that followed, we ended up with a very nice photo :D

i fell in love with snakes when i was 5 when we went 2 currumbin wildlife park and i got 2 hold this really cool snake.I think it was a carpet but i'm not sure

two things did it for me.. the first was when, at Billabong Sanctuary just south of townsville, I got to hold an olive python.. gorgeous snake, so placid and looked stunning! (got to do that as we were doing "reptile handling" for my veterinary science course) and the second.. was the main one. A friend and I found a little spotted python inside the college at the university, at about 1am. I had never seen or had anything to do with wild snakes, but i obviously knew it was a python and thus not dangerous... so I took some photos (the lil guy was rather defensive to start with, permanently ready to strike.. i dont blame him, we startled him the poor thing!) from a distance and then when it calmed down it ended up climbing over my camera... I then grabbed a wire coat hanger, bent it into a "snake hook", picked mr python up and carefully put him into a pillowcase (meant i didnt have a pillowcase that night, either) then took him outside into a bushy area far away from buildings, took a few more pics and released him. then.. what got me even MORE into snakes was the second spotted python I found.. about the same size as the first, in the college gym under some boxes. caught him, released him in the same area as the previous one. this guy was placid as, never once tried to strike, would happily climb over your arm, leg, anything.

So yeah.. since then ive fallen n love with pythons.. love olives (beautiful snakes), GTPs, stimmys, spotteds (of course! i really REALLY want a blonde mac) and last but not least, patternless childrens (cause they kinda resemble olives) I am DYING to be able to get a python!

Grew up catching a large variety of wild herps that occurred where I grew up. The instance my parents still remind of to this day is when I was about 6 or 7 and I tried to catch a large RBBS in a cane basket. Seemed like the logical choice after watching Indian snake charmers on docos. Luckily my pop decided to follow out of curiosity about what I was up to and needless to say I came out of it better than the poor snake. Started successfully catching and handling elapids when I was 11 much to my parents disgust but we had family friends who were and still are herp mad who could appreciate my enthusiasm.

Sister and her partner had some, started handling them and now im addicted.

I was one of those little kids that use to catch the garden skinks, and then freak your parents out with them :lol:
I got really adictided when I was at a friends house, and their next door neighbor owns snakes and he brought some over;).... a few of the kids freaked out, but I was the one up there trying to hold everything at once.:oops::rolleyes:.

Then it has extended to me convincing my parents to let me get my 2nd snake:D! (which is coming home with me in two weeks!!!:D)

REPTILES RULE!!

Thanks
Trouble

i took a small blacksnake home in an esky when i was a young lad and my dad lovingly drop-kicked me in the throat. It was that exact moment.

I was 13 yo & a boy at our school brought his python. He was scaring some other girls and he came over to me. I was amazed by it & asked for a hold. Needless to say, he was disappointed but let me hold his pet. At the time I had no idea what sort it was [ I now know it was a coastal] but ever since then it has been in my mind to one day get one. What I didn't know was how addictive they are! We now have 5 & counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back