Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe the amount of Diamonds in Captivity that are sold as Diamonds and are clearly not...

Adam the pics you showed are hard to tell. It is either an old diamond or an intergrade IMO. Haven't seen any wild caughts like it thats for sure.

Whatever they are though there all nice snakes, it shouldn't matter if there Hybrid Intergrade or Pure,(unless your breeding them). But there seems to bea distinct lack of ETHICS going on in this industry now. No way would I purchase animals now other than from people I know have proper locale specific animals when it comes to carpets and diamonds....

Well you think someone how had forty odd snakes would know what his selling to people.

The problem is I DO plan on breeding them this year and don't want to be selling a True Diamond if it isn't a TRUE Diamond. The pics are of the snake are when he is about to shed. I will post some new ones when he has shed.

I would be looking for another Intergrade to breed him with as in my opinion there is no way that that is a pure diamond.

Slightly related......
I fear the day when people are crossbreeding at will and we have a similar situation to what is in the US at the moment. I think that this is a very good indication of what we can expect to be a regular occurance where it only takes one person to not know what they actually are breeding/selling. I think the amount of people who just answered "diamond" in this thread is alarming and considering how small a representation this site is of the whole hobby it scares me to think how many more people out there are making the same mistakes - a situation I can only see getting worse.

Are you refering to the pics I posted? I have Diamond x's and they are very obviously NOT pure. This one does look pure and is different to the one posted in the first 4 pics,.

I'm referring to the pics posted in the first post which if I'm not mistaken is the same snake you posted recent pics of??

No my pics are a different snake. They are a couple of pages back.

In all honesty I would PM Bigguy with a pic. I know a member rdiculed him earlier in this thread but I'll be buggered if there is any one else that could ID a diamand/ intergrade better.

I have already have a Carpet x Diamond so this is ok but I did want a true Diamond :)

Diamond Pythons
Diamond pythons are native to southeastern Australia. The overall temperatures are cooler in this region compared to the places other carpets inhabit. At certain times of the year temperatures dip below freezing, which is likely the reason diamonds have an overall darker coloration and are more diurnal than other carpets.

They are quite average in size, attaining lengths between 6 and 7 feet. They are nearly solid black, with a conspicuous yellow or white or even greenish spot in the center of each scale, which forms an intricate design. Interspersed along the back are clusters of white or yellow scales (typically between four to six scales in a group) that form “rosettes,” giving the diamond python its name.

Unlike other carpet pythons, male diamonds do not combat with other males as part of the ritual courtship. In fact, multiple males have been found attempting to breed with a single female. Another unique characteristic of diamond pythons is the propensity of females to construct primitive nests where they deposit their eggs.

There's so much nonsense going on about the rosettes having to match 100% for it to be a diamond, otherwise there are fools calling them a variety of nice, but wholly invented and useless names.

the simple fact of the matter is that 1) the "gosford" diamond is found with such a large range, that to imagine that the entirety of their range is the gosford area is not only ludicrous but naive to a large extent.

2) phenotypic variation is to be expected even with the individuals of a distinct sub population, so much so, that it is highly likely that the amount of animals being called port macs, truly are nothing but an evolving group of diamonds who may have been breeding within their population and the phenotypes are beginning to show these changes.

It is also possible that just because you ahve seen something with "perfect" rosettes, that it may actually be a hybrid (though i cringe at the use of the word by so many on this site) if the respective genes relating to the colouration and rosette expression is dominant, but it may just not be visible.

At the end of the day, the majority of people getting stressed about this issue are deluded.

How is it possible to not have a carpet x diamond, when diamonds are carpets anyway????

How is it possible to not have a carpet x diamond, when diamonds are carpets anyway????

I think you will find that most people who use the "carpet x diamond" tag are actually referring to coastal x diamonds and just identify coastals as the "typical" carpet.

so , all you integrade believers ---- where is the scientific evidence to prove the existence of an integrade ? ? ? ? ?
we all want to see the proof - not opinions - so please show us ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
i am not going to give my opinion - its not worth saying - and would take up too much space. i have only been breeding diamonds for 30 years - so , what would i know.
i live in newcastle and i know what a diamond looks like.

@ Dave8208, could you please turn on your pm's so i can quickly ask you something???

thx...
Ash...

so , all you integrade believers ---- where is the scientific evidence to prove the existence of an integrade ? ? ? ? ?
we all want to see the proof - not opinions - so please show us ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
i am not going to give my opinion - its not worth saying - and would take up too much space. i have only been breeding diamonds for 30 years - so , what would i know.
i live in newcastle and i know what a diamond looks like.

What came first...the chicken or the egg??? If an integrade does not exist, then what do you call a snake that lives between the diamond and the cosatal? The northern varients look more like coastals while the southern ones like diamonds. Hence why we are calling them Port Mac Carpets. Where's your scientific eveidence that coastals weren't there first and as they moved south they developed colour change to suit their environment and eventually became diamonds.
We would like to see your proof, not opinion!!!

If you know what a dimond looks like then you would not that that python is not a diamond. I also know people that have been breeding pythons for 20 years and they couldn't tell the diffencd between a maccie, a stmmie and a childrens.

Diamonds / Carpets same snake anyway, There seems to be more and more full blown carpets turning up in the wilds of Sydney every year so it may not be too long before more southern diamonds look like port macs anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back