Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they should be kept in small enclosures when they are young yes. But i like to give proper room for all my reptiles. When i get my wheatbelt in a few weeks i will do the same. Get him big and strong whilst he is in a small click clack then move him onto a nice size appropriate wooden enclosure. :)
Reptiles deserve a good quality of life in my eyes

Im going to keep a few Antaresia in tubs indefinitely turning them into giant limbless hulks.

Antaresia like ball pythons are just so well suited to being kept in tubs.

Antaresia like ball pythons are just so well suited to being kept in tubs.

That's an interesting statement. Based on research? If that's so, adders, keelbacks and any other small grown-dwelling species would be well suited for tubs. Why not?

they are suited to being kept in tubs as they are to being in a "display tank" its just how the keeper want to keep them... the overall point EVERYONE is making (either tubs or enclosures) they need room to move ect i would keep in tubs if i had more reps but i only have a few hence the nice big enclosures... but if i was to keep in tubs i would not get rid of the big displays and the tubs would be decked out with all the logs plants ect...

i don't think any1 is saying that it's bad to keep snakes in proper sized tubs. This is fine. I think people just get a little upset when they see reptiles kept in what seems to be small rack like enclosures even though that these racks might be of minimum requirement therefore adequate to house these animals. I think they are not angry at the housing or heat just that they want reptiles to have a bit more room. Thats how i interpret this all.

So, is "stimulus" beneficial for our captive snakes, is it essential or not important at all? Enough room for the animal to move around is one thing, to provide the animal with something that will spark some interest, activity, relieve boredom (if there is such thing in reptiles), is another.
I see that most, if not all Boyds and other lizard keepers have them in landscaped enclosures - why not snakes? Are snakes that much less energetic than lizards?
What are your thoughts on that?

not at all mate. I totally agree and would love to see snakes in big exciting enclosures. This is my school of thought. Not everyone can do this though due to size restrictions or finances.

We will always justifiy ourselves keeping snakes in tubs.
Will it be excepted if i keep a cat it a tub?

That's an interesting statement. Based on research?

Just personal opinion, derived from my own experiences/observations.

If that's so, adders, keelbacks and any other small grown-dwelling species would be well suited for tubs. Why not?

Sure, i would put adders in the same category as Antaresia & balls for rack/tub suitability. Keelbacks aren't as comparable obviously.
At the end of the day a "tub" is a plastic box, and the majority of people are keeping snakes in boxes.
I think breeding FOR neuro disorders in animals is far more of a concern than what someones housing preference is.

Not sure what the "why not?" is asking.

Maybe you should have made this clear at the beginning of this thread? It seemed to me and everyone else you were blanketing all rack keepers the same.

I know there are certain people who have contributed to this thread that judge those for keeping in racks of any size.

I couldn't have made it any clearer if you would of actually read the thread properly before getting cut up.

"""Hi guys ive been seeing some videos on youtube of people who own 20-30 snakes and house them in plastic containers with not much room to move around. I know alot of Breeders house there snakes this way but how does the snake get the right body temperature's. When all it is getting is the one temperature?""
Not once did i say all rack systems but are particular breeder that houses retics in such a small tub they can barely move.......

I know this will be deleted cause you cant name and shame...

but have you seen Upmarket pets in Melbourne?
Same deal, the poor bredli I had a look at didn't want to go back, it struck at us when we were trying to put it back, not getting it out.

I dislike it, the conditions we have on the licence I'm pretty sure would no agree with the way they are kept.

the bredli was my arm length minus the hand and the talk was as long as mu foot, and maybe half as wide again.

That's my opinion, that's how I see it, don't hold it against me. I have a collection of snake skulls and a collection of antique shotguns. if I couldn't see it and admire it every time I walk pass, I would get rid of it. Can you understand my point of view?
I certainly can and do understand your point of view Michael. I am just saying that you can not say i love my animals less than you because i keep them in (large) tubs. I work ALOT so am not home to view animals in a big display enclosure, also if i had every animal in a large display enclosure i would not be able to keep the few species i have chosen to. Every night though i am in my spare room, cleaning, feeding, handling. I can assure you there are members on this site that even think i am slightly crazy with how much time i spend with my animals lol
Jay84;1865103I know there are certain people who have contributed to this thread that judge those for keeping in racks of any size.[COLOR=DarkGray said:
So what is your contribution to this thread?

Ummm..... i think i have contributed to this thread Michael ???

All i am trying to say is you can't blanket all keepers who house animals in tubs the same. Personally i would NOT keep large pythons in small tubs. I also will NOT keep every animal in a large display enclosure. What i do is find the happy medium. What i think suits me as well as being more than adequate for my animals. Large tubs.

the bredli was my arm length minus the hand and the talk was as long as mu foot, and maybe half as wide again.

You got me there Josh. :shock:

---------- Post added 15-Jan-11 at 12:24 PM ----------

Sorry Jay, I thought it was Brayden's comment, I didn't realise he quoted you.

Same deal, the poor bredli I had a look at didn't want to go back, it struck at us when we were trying to put it back, not getting it out.

Come on lol
When i remove a snake from a tub and it strikes me, would you conclude it doesnt want to me removed from its tub-topia?

It's starting to get messy, can we move on?

Is anyone prepared to comment on my previous post:

So, is "stimulus" beneficial for our captive snakes, is it essential or not important at all? Enough room for the animal to move around is one thing, to provide the animal with something that will spark some interest, activity, relieve boredom (if there is such thing in reptiles), is another.
I see that most, if not all Boyds and other lizard keepers have them in landscaped enclosures - why not snakes? Are snakes that much less energetic than lizards?

Come on lol
When i remove a snake from a tub and it strikes me, would you conclude it doesnt want to me removed from its tub-topia?

no, I would assume it wants to be left alone.
I also know that alot of snakes are cage defensive.

It couldn't wait to get out, we picked it up, handled it for about 4-5 minutes, without a hassle, the first thing it did was stretch out on my arm.

If you think it's funny, let me lock you up in a small tub.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT WOULD BE SOOO FUNNYYYYYY =D

I think tubs are fine, AS LONG AS the snake is getting what it needs which includes space.

The size was not sufficient enough,

It's starting to get messy, can we move on?

Is anyone prepared to comment on my previous post:

From what i have seen most tubs and more natural looking enclosures generally have the same basics, hide, perch, heat, space. The main difference being what they are made out of ie natural looking fake rock hide vs cardboard hide. Neither of those 2 enclosure types provide what i would really call stimulus. As you know snakes are fairly "lazy", they are ambush predators so most of their time is spent either waiting for food or digesting a meal, they are a totally different animal to most lizards which are active predators and many have some kind of social structure and interact with others so comparing the way snakes are housed compared to the way lizards are housed is like comparing apples to oranges

Apples & oranges, hmmmm. Have you seen Boyds in the wild? They sit on a tree trunks for hours waiting for insects to get within their reach. They are as solitary as snakes and being thermoconformers, they don't move in and out of sun spots.

"generally the same basics"? That's a bit of generalization Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back