Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got nothing against them at all. Was a tongue in cheek comment lol.

I don't mind if John gets them, means I will get them sooner, and cheaper! hehe

Bouncer, I am not saying its ok, Im saying I don't have a problem with it. Fine line though... lol

if you know some is getting wild caught reptiles should you report them or name and shame them on here

If it is something they do alot then i'd probably report them, if it's only once i'd let them know it's illegal and the choice is then there's to let it go or not, if they don't let it go and look after it properly and it never happens again i'd probably just keep my mouth shut... For some, chances are the novelty will ware off and they'll eventually let it go anyway... And if they keep it atleast it's still alive. And if it was someone who caught a wild one breed it with one of there's and let it go again, meh it's free again. But someone catching gravid reps and keeping the bubs i'd speak up and do something..

Yeah firedragon maybe it's free again, and it has taken any exotic disease with it back into the wild.

I think you should mind your own frigging business for starters. I do not do it personally, but i do not hold it against someone for a pulling a snake off the road and keeping it. After all the animals that get deliberately shovelled, run over, shot etc etc one person picking up a pretty little carpet python off the road is nothing in the overall scheme of things.

However, i don't like knowing of people raping the bush, taking heaps of animals then flogging off all the animals for their own financial gain. If its on the road its fair game.

Simone.
Spot on Simone.

If it's on the road it's fair game, Wow, I was under the impression that most people who kept native australian animals as pets, actually cared about the conservation of our unique species. The impression I am getting from a lot of members is whatever you can get away with go for it! Taking a healthy animal from the wild is wrong, plain and simple. I am not talking about the law, I am talking about our native stocks of animals. I don't want to hear 1 snake won't make a difference in the scheme of things, 50000 people can all say the same thing to justify their actions, and that's 50000 less animals in the wild. With the pressures already on our natives (introduced predators, venomous toads, and don't forget the roads with all their "fair game")
Moving an animal from the road into a safer area is helping the animal, taking the animal is helping yourself.
That's my rant, now I'm off to hug a tree....

PMSL.

Fair enough mate, everyone can have there own opinion. Mine's just better..

HAHAH Kidding!!

Ultimately we all know it's illegal to just grab an animal from the wild and confine it to captivity. That being said, we are not all people, so what we should do as advocates of these animals, is try to inform those around us. If you know someone who has a wild caught reptile, the best that you can do is inform them that they actually need a licence for the reptile. If they still don't want to release it, the best you can then do is try to keep them educated on the well being of the animal, and how to properly look after it.

In my opinion, NPWS or WIRES should only be called in if the well being of the animal is at risk. If you've tried to educate these people, and if they still keep the animal in poor conditions, then a call is warranted. Other than that, you may just be getting these people into trouble without them even really knowing why.

I know that I had no idea that licencing even existed before I got into the 'hobby', and many others won't also. Just keep that in mind.

Yeah firedragon maybe it's free again, and it has taken any exotic disease with it back into the wild.

I am still yet not very knowledgable, but can they get exotic diseases if no other captive snake is around, cause if they can, then I would have a different opinion.. And what if you know your snakes are healthy and have no diseases..

As i said i'm still learning, so the other opinion is based on what little i know now, with more knowledge opinions change.

It can't get a desease if you have no other reptiles. It can probably get mites etc from bad husbandry etc.

There probably isn't any way you can know 100% you have 100% healthy snakes either. Many deseases take months to show symptoms, by then its too late.

It can't get a desease if you have no other reptiles. It can probably get mites etc from bad husbandry etc.

There probably isn't any way you can know 100% you have 100% healthy snakes either. Many deseases take months to show symptoms, by then its too late.

Not having a go at you, pugsly, but how could an animal get mites from bad husbandry? :?

If it's on the road it's fair game, Wow, I was under the impression that most people who kept native australian animals as pets, actually cared about the conservation of our unique species. The impression I am getting from a lot of members is whatever you can get away with go for it! Taking a healthy animal from the wild is wrong, plain and simple. I am not talking about the law, I am talking about our native stocks of animals. I don't want to hear 1 snake won't make a difference in the scheme of things, 50000 people can all say the same thing to justify their actions, and that's 50000 less animals in the wild. With the pressures already on our natives (introduced predators, venomous toads, and don't forget the roads with all their "fair game")
Moving an animal from the road into a safer area is helping the animal, taking the animal is helping yourself.
That's my rant, now I'm off to hug a tree....

I dont think it's about "whatever you can get away with go for it".... I would never do it myself. Ok it's illegal, the reality is it's always gonna happen no matter what is done, so I think it has more to do with picking your battles.. Everyone has their own view about it and fully entitled to that view, and should not be "flamed" for it.

Wild caught animals are allowed to be kept if captured on a licenses.

These licenses are only avail in NT and WA.

Most Keelbacks are still wild caught, Golden GTS are generally wild caught.

As are some night tigers.

I have all three plus a wild caught carpet, but it was a WIRES rescue from a suburb in Sydney

Add SA to that aswell gillsy.

aspedites - they come in through unclean cages. i.e people not cleaning out crap, cleaning urine etc etc, not to mention off other things, a lot of wild caughts already come free with mites anyway!

Well I was merely stating my "opinion", The only flaming going on is from the flaming idiots...

aspedites - they come in through unclean cages. i.e people not cleaning out crap, cleaning urine etc etc, not to mention off other things, a lot of wild caughts already come free with mites anyway!

Mmm. Wouldn't they only be present in enclosures where other reptiles which had mites, were housed? Or at least in enclosures that were in close proximity to animals which had mites.

They don't just spontaneously appear in enclosures because you don't clean them...... or not to my--admittedly limited--knowledge anyway.

You would be surprised aspedites.

They certainly do, they can come from anywhere, including live mice/rats.

I have seen them in collections with only 1 animal on many occassions actually.

Fair enough, pugsly. I've never heard of that before and I find that both surprising and interesting.

Learn something new every day, huh?

Well I was merely stating my "opinion", The only flaming going on is from the flaming idiots...

Sorry, bad wording on my part, i wasn't targeting you regarding flaming and yes your opinion is just as valid.. I really only wanted to quote part of that text (the part about what you can get away with go for it) but i dont know how so i had to just quote the whole msg

Reptile mites cannot live on rodents or other mammals - though they can hitch a ride. They need a reptile host to reproduce.

Sensible quarantine will keep mites out of your collection (independent of hygiene). Sensible quarantine includes when you visit other collections, including pet shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back