Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I thought, herptrader :)

I can show you photos of mites on babie rodents mate. I was surprised myself.

Obviously they aren't 'reptile' mites, but that's how they got onto the snake..

Ultimately we all know it's illegal to just grab an animal from the wild and confine it to captivity.

:rolleyes:Well I thought I should just add my 2 cents worth;)
Unfortunately, there are a few species we can take from the wild and keep.:oops: Now please, before you get up me and say these are wrong, I learnt this from Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, they run herpitology courses down there.
ANYWAY... the species are:

Dragons
  • Ctenophorus nuchalis (central netted dragon)
  • Physignathus lesuerii (Eastern Water Dragon)
  • Pogona vitticeps (Central Bearded Dragon)
  • Pogona barbatus (Bearded Dragon (Jew Lizard))
Gecko
  • Gehyra dubia (Gecko)
  • Gehyra variegata (Tree Dtella)
Lizards
  • Trackydosaurus rugosus (Shingleback Lizard)
  • Tiliqua scincoides (Eastern Blue-Tounge Lizard)
  • Hemisphaeriodon gerradii (Pink-Tounge Lizard)
Turtles
  • Chelodina longicollis (Eastern Long-neck turtle)
  • Elseya latisternum (Saw-Shelled Turtle)
  • Emydura kreffti (Krefft's River Turtle)
Now please remember, I'm only saying what I learnt.:oops:
Hope this was helpfull in someways.

cheers
Trouble

Trouble, I don't think that's the case any more. I know it used to be the case before the new laws were brought in a few years ago, but I believe it changed then. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

If I'm correct, in the new legislation it now classes everything that is not a restricted reptile or an international reptile as a recreational reptile, and for those you need a recreational wildlife permit (and you can't catch things on a rec permit).

There were some additional things to note under the old legislation anyway, such as the fact that animals could not be taken out of their "normal range" and any progeny had to be released in the area where the animal was captured. There were probably even more conditions too!

I can show you photos of mites on babie rodents mate. I was surprised myself.

Obviously they aren't 'reptile' mites, but that's how they got onto the snake..

I wouldn't worry about non reptile mites on my reptiles... they won't hang around for long.

I wouldn't even worry about human mites such as head lice and the body louse.

aspidites, I only did this course 2weeks ago, the booklet says "they owner must not sell or make any profit from the animal (e.g. you cant not mate two wild cought specimens and then make profit from the babies)" nor can they take more than two wild cought animals

p.s. sorry forgot how to spell lol

That certainly is NOT the law for the rest of Australia... don't know what you QLDers are on lol

Weird! I can't find anything in the new legislation exempting animals, like there was in the old.

As I said though, I could be wrong. Maybe I am :)

Thats incorrect Trouble, and I'm not getting up you :) I'd contact EPA and ask for yourself, then contact Currumbin and let them know what you find out.

well, thats what I was taught, so don't get up me:twisted:

I just got off the phone to the EPA, and they advised me that this exemption is still in effect, but ONLY for exempt amphibians, not reptiles.

I've also let them know that Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is advising people of this old legislation erroneously, and they have told me they will chase that up.

yeah i think if beardies wherre aloud to be cought thier wouldnt be many left in the wild

yeah i think if beardies wherre aloud to be cought thier wouldnt be many left in the wild

It was only a couple of years ago that you COULD keep them, scorps. But you couldn't breed them with your own animals (by the book, anyway) and there was restrictions on it.

I used to catch 'em all the time as a kid. Always let them go within a couple of weeks though, even though I technically could have kept them.

I do find it interesting that there's still amphibians you can do this with, but no longer any reptiles. I got the impression from the EPA that they abolished it because too many people were using it as a way to get around proper licensing--whether they were concerned about revenue or the actual wildlife, who knows.

That certainly is NOT the law for the rest of Australia... don't know what you QLDers are on lol

eerr..ummm...(cough cough).. that's not nice Pugsly :p

Queenslanders are the most happy easy going laid back people on the planet IMO .. :)

I am new to reptile keeping. In fact I don't have any yet but got my licence a few months back.
I used to catch and release garden skinks and caught and kept a Blue Tougne over one summer holiday as a kid when I lived in Victoria.
I moved to Queensland 6 years ago and have watched as the population of Eastern Water Skinks have increase in numbers in my back yard, favouring our fish pond.
When I descided to research the best way to keep these reptiles as pets I discoverd I needed a licence.
I also came up with some old information on the net and in books mentioning licences to catch them. I ended up phoning the EPA to find out what was current.
They said (Queensland) that the days of catching any reptiles where gone and the only option was to get a licence and get them from breeders.
I am still waiting to get my first Water Skinks after finding out how few legal supplies there are.

If someone has illegally caught reptiles, I would let them know it is not legal any more - they may not know.
Not evil, just ignorant.
I didn't know and I know many people who do not keep reptiles who where also suprised by this.

Its actually amazing how often people assume you just caught your reptile from the wild and decided to keep it.

I take my baby bluey out for quick walks (eg meeting someone at the train station, grabbing a dvd etc) and the number of people who Oooh and Ahhh over him, are about equal to the number of people who have asked "Where did you find him?" "How long did it take you to catch him?".

Its amazing the number of people who are completely unaware that you actually NEED a license to keep reptiles. Aside from that, there are several shops here in Brisbane who blatantly advertise "Reptiles for sale! No License required!" and thats in the yellow pages and on their websites!

If the EPA is really keen on people sticking to the laws, they either need to actually Look for blatant offenders, or they need licensed keepers to help.

However, if the non licensed keepers are taking really good care of their reptiles, I dont see why they are much different from those who do have a license.

After all, a License does not a good keeper make. Ive heard dozens of horror stories of keepers who didnt have the faintest clue how to take care of their reptile, and eventually brought them back to the shops in horrid conditions (bone deformities, lost limbs etc). Thankfully some of those people had their licenses revoked... but that doesnt stop them getting reptiles in the future from sellers who dont care about licenses

I guess what Im saying is its kind of hard to judge..

What saddens me is walking into another pet shop yesterday and seeing a store packed full of people who were buying fish on one side, but also banging on the glass where they kept the reptiles on the other. Unless they have a designated "reptile zone" I don't think they should be selling them! JMO

I'd like to see how many people would knock back a green python on paper for say $500 that they knew was collected from the wild. Not many. All the hypocrites will no doubt start posting saying no way. But i dont believe it for a second.

Even more reason to drop that sort of person in it. If someone offered me a GTP for a ridiculous price that pointed toward it being a WC, let's just say, my anger would became rather elevated!

After all, a License does not a good keeper make.

One thing a license requirement does eliminate is the goose who walks into a pet shop and thinks it would be impressive to buy a snake for no other reason than an ego grooming one. When this type of fool is then told they need to complete paper work, pay a fee etc..., hopefully their spur of the moment desire cools and they don't follow through with it.

I agree though the licensing conditions do need to be backed up with a little more work on behalf of the EPA in QLD to enforce the legislation surrounding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back