Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But they're not Aussies Brodie.Are you for or against exotics?

We take thousands out each night across Australia, for good!!!....50?, whatever?, is of little comparsion compared to the over-all picture.....Be a small price to pay considering the numbers that'll be bred....not to mention what we could learn, that may indirectly help us preserve their numbers in the wild.....

Some people view conservation with their emotions others view it with their brains, a few people manage to balance their views between their brains and their emotions and follow logic and researched facts to find long term solutions to suit humans, wildlife and the environment . WARNING: Falling in love with animals to much can lead to emotionally altered/bias views regarding the management of wildlife.
Many people believe that killing an animal means you are cruel and hate animals. I'm not sure whether this is because they associate murders among humans with hate. Aboriginal children love animals but they all have a big smile on the face when they club a gould's monitor to death. these children could not afford to fall in love emmotionally with animals or they would starve to death. Here's a thought, isnt it facinating how the rich nations of the world who have plenty (usually at the expense of the environment) are the ones who get so attached emotionally to animals .

Adrian

Re: RE: Lies,Defamation,and Bawling

BROWNS said:
so if His father was allowed to collect them once why can't someone do it again?

Yeah I understand what you are saying, unfortunately its not just NPWS that stands in the way of collecting species such as GTP, our GTP species co-ordinator as alot to do with it none other than our own Steve Irwin, the man just will not let anyone keep then but himself.....and this goes for alot of species in Australia.

Many people on this site and elsewhere live in a pseudo world with city views, reptiles in little plastic tanks with a carefully mimiced micro representations of what they believe is the reptiles habitat, and sit on a cosy chair in front of the internet and argue about reptiles fiercly defending thier views. This is brilliant or at least a brilliant start (i to started this way). Get out there go herping, do some cross continental trips look at where these critters live I promise your views will change daily as you see what really goes on in the real world.

Adrian

RE: Re: RE: Lies,Defamation,and Bawling

Yeah well i have never bagged Irwin like many and reckoned he was alright and loved his passion but now he sucks eggs big time.Buckley won that court case and yet Irwin still has his greens and won't give them back.I have one theory on this but probably best not discussed.

RE: Re: RE: Lies,Defamation,and Bawling

I have one theory on this but probably best not discussed.
I would be interested in hearing this theory, you could pm me if you don't won't a bunch of 'experts' arguing your point.

Re: RE: Lies,Defamation,and Bawling

PilbaraPythons said:
Many people on this site and elsewhere live in a pseudo world with city views, reptiles in little plastic tanks with a carefully mimiced micro representations of what they believe is the reptiles habitat, and sit on a cosy chair in front of the internet and argue about reptiles fiercly defending thier views. This is brilliant or at least a brilliant start (i to started this way). Get out there go herping, do some cross continental trips look at where these critters live I promise your views will change daily as you see what really goes on in the real world.

Adrian

Hell yeah.....couldnt agree with you more

Re: RE: Re: RE: Lies,Defamation,and Bawling

BROWNS said:
Yeah well i have never bagged Irwin like many and reckoned he was alright and loved his passion but now he sucks eggs big time.Buckley won that court case and yet Irwin still has his greens and won't give them back.I have one theory on this but probably best not discussed.

Dont get me wrong Irwin has done alot of great things towards conservation with his money, however he has done alot of bad things with his arrogance

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Lies,Defamation,and Bawling

Yes Many are taken out each night on the roads.

Everytime I go herping (3 or 4 times a week) I find over 30 dead snakes.

BUt us collecting them is only adding too this toll.

A lot is known about both GTP and Oenpellis already.. well.. as much as we can learn from keeping them.

So agaib, why take them?

Andy,

2 are Australian, this, I know for a fact.

The others would be exotic.. but its still a GTP, we have enough!

There are more and more new species popping up and becoming available to every herper,why not True Aussie greens.Aren't you interested in keeping pur Aussie specimens.

What do you mean 2 are Australian?Of all the ones on the books?If so i don't doubt it but none have been available in many years.

We couldn't get WA animals till just recently so why not Greens,NT snakes took from the wild and there was no need for a captive breeding programme for any of the species they caught and sold.What i like about pure animals and lets say i had a pure Oz green,i could tell people that this is what they look like from a specific area Iron Range which i couldn't do with the greens available today.Or this is what a jungle from Mission Beach looks like or this is what carpet pythons around Darwin look like etc 2 is not enough in my opinion but would be a start if they were a pair and were bred!

With the diminishing habitats through human distruction its good to have a healthy captive stock...its just not up to zoo's to help out...captive husbandry tech, successfull breeding etc etc have largley come from us the amature herpetologist and not instituations like zoo's, I dont agree with taking from the wild for person $$$$ gains or even just to add to ones collection, but if we are to take from the wild it should be for a purpose for the species benift.

Alot is known about Oenpellis already???; very little is known of there captive propergation....

I can't see the problem in taking a few specimens from the wild, after all, that's where all our herps came from once upon a time. There may have been a stage when there were only a few bredli in captivity. I am sure that if 50 were taken, they would replenish the numbers without any problems. A habitat can only assitain a certain amount of any one species, if some are taken, there is an imbalance for only a short time, this will then balance out again over time. If a cyclone wiped out 75% of the gtps they would soon get their numbers back up along with everything else that may almost have been wiped. If we take fifty, they would replenish faster as there was no habitat loss in doing so.

I would also like to see more oenpelli in captivity, the more the better IMO. I also don't think it is fair to allow one person to start a breeding programme, it should be allowed by many more ppl. The RSP is a prime example, get a captive breeding programme for them and then sell/swap for $24000, that's just wrong IMO.

So we have only 2 Australian green pythons in captivity in Australia,most likely the world....yep we have enough...

Shyte hot avatar indicus!!!

Very Valid points,

Honestly Ive never really thought of those before ;)!

I will reply in more detail tomorrow when im not half asleep!

I will reply in more detail tomorrow when im not half asleep!
You haven't had too much red wine have you Brodes......:):D

His busy playing guess the snake with me :p

Only 40 bottles and 3 cases hugs!!

Im winning guess the snake :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back