Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzy_reptile

Reaction score
Ok i have finally got my wife to say yes to getting a snake.

Should i get a hatchie or sub adult. And with hatchies how long do they stay in click clacks for?

Also ideas on good first python (i have kids).

Carpets are great.....you can't go wrong with a nice carpet python.
A well established sub adult would be a good place to start.
It will have outgrown the nippiness of a hatchie and will be less likely to have feeding issues.

If you have large enough click clacks you can easily house Juvies and young adults in them. I have some big bins that house animals thru 2 years of age.

Good luck.

check Wikki for best 1st snakes. hatchy or sub-adult depends on how confident you are, i personaly chose to get a yearling for my first so i knew it was an established feeder. you find differant opinions on click clack times, some people keep them in on for quite a long time, some even permenatly if the have large collections, other skip the stage altogether putting their snakes staright into a display type enclosure (i did this with my yearling) but filling it with more cover and hides so the young snake doesn't feel too exposed. at the end of the day it is up to you and depends on the snake, obviously if you have a hatchy of large species that will grow to 5ft then its probably a bit excessive to put it straight away into an edult sized cage. on the other hand if you have a smaller species like something from teh chilrend family you can up them staright into adult sized cages without having a virtualy empty cage.

Coastal carpet pythons are good, but can get quite big, but by the time that happens you'll be ready, if you want something smaller, a Spotted, Stimsons or Children's python would be good. But up to you. Even a Jungle carpet python or Bredli would be good.

I couldn't recommend a coastal for a first pet unless you're well and truly prepared for a >3m monster in a few years time, and probably not around little kids as if they decide to snap it would be rather a serious matter. I'd go for something from the Childreni group, they have simple needs, they're a very manageable size and if they tag you or the kids it won't be a big deal.

id say a spotted python. mine (hatchie) was bit snappy the first few handles but now hes fine. My MD is extremely placid but they get pretty big
id go1 from the childrini family

Depending on what you want to spend i would reccomend a Black Headed Python. Beautiful snake. i know each snake has its own personality but mine is so quiet and gentle, never been agro, strong feeding response. Ours was 18months ond when we got him, about 4ft long and the width of a gatorade lid. Very easy to handle.

I agree with Kathryn. Childreni are quite placid, normally good eaters, and are a very good size for kids. Also easy to look after, and have easy enclosure needs.

Hey sarah_m, around how much is an adult or 18 month BHP im tossing up wheather to get one of them or an olive. (QLD BHP by the way:) )
sorry bout hijacking thread;)

ye my first snake was a childreni , there a great first snake . also diamonds are very good first snakes from what ive experienced and heard .

i reckon a coastal carpet man their top notch snakes friendly and cruisy my 1s 5 months and no hassles never bites or even looks like he is goin to he loves bein out exploring and they grow big which is kool but in sayin dat u can get snappy hatchies i reckon a yearling maybe but yer good luck wif it

I don't know about a BHP as a first snake for a family pet!!! They have a very strong food response, grow to be really bulky and heavy and aren't exactly renowned for being overly placid. I would go for the classic first-time snakes, either an Antaresia (Childrens, Spotted or Stimsons; don't grow too big, usually quite placid, don't need much space etc) or a smaller carpet (Bredli, MD - get to 2.5-3m and usually grow into fairly placid adults)

Getting an older snake is good in terms of temperament, they are over that hatchie craziness, but at the same time, if they haven't been handled regularly, then a nip from a sub-adult will be worse than from a hatchie! Also, if you start with a hatchie, you can get used to the size as they grow, rather than having a 1 or 2m snake from day one!

I would recommend a Murry Darling Python, hatchy or adult they are very placid from my experience.

As for size I have read a few articles stipulating that within the 1st year the feeding pattern and quantity for a snake will determine their growth rate for the rest of their life so if you want a smaller snake try not to over feed them.

Last edited:
cape york blone mac get to 5.2 feet... biggest of the smaller class.... soo placid
my son bought his from a fantastic breeder.... all round best !

blonde macs.. end up or should be cream/blonde...with red barring..or colour pattern
stunning python!

hey guys i was just wondering wats the best fastest way to get a bredl growing or do they just grow at a natural rate

My spotted maccie was a little snappy at first, but after maybe two weeks in his new enclosure he was great, and he is small enough that he is safe and easy to handle

i like the blonde macs or bredli's.. i really like hypo bredli, its my next snake..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back