Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have to wonder with my lace monitors as it's written all over their faces. To be anthropomorphic, this is what I imagine is going through their heads (at rapid-fire speed): "Quick, there's the primate again! Does he have food? Is that food? I saw his hand move, does he have food? What's that thing he's holding? It must be food? Look, I think it's food! Hey, is that food? I'm going to bite it, anyway, because it's been hours since my last meal and I think I'm starving! "

Hahaha! Mine are like: "I'll act all coy until he opens the door, then I'll pounce on him like a pitbull on a poodle." :)

What is the criteria i have to meet?

Numerous criteria, you have to show that you have cared for the group of animals you are applying for. EG you can't apply for class 2 monitors if you haven't cared for class 1.

You have to prove you can keep accurate paperwork and return it on time, and in some circumstances you need references.

Numerous criteria, you have to show that you have cared for the group of animals you are applying for. EG you can't apply for class 2 monitors if you haven't cared for class 1.

You have to prove you can keep accurate paperwork and return it on time, and in some circumstances you need references.

Far out.... Never thought I would say it but I'm actually glad I live in QLD now!!

I personally still think our system is the best, even if it's the hardest to upgrade.

They just need to review some of the animals that are class 2 and bring them down.

They just need to review some of the animals that are class 2 and bring them down.
As long as lace monitors aren't among the ones brought down. In my opinion (and this is coming from someone that has 'tame' lacies), in some ways they're worse than keeping a venomous snake. For starters, most people wouldn't get as complacent with a venomous snake as they would with a lace monitor. Secondly, with most of the really venomous snakes (in Australia) if you get medical help after a bite the chance of a full recovery is great (save a few kidney issues), whereas with a bad lacie bite you'll likely have permanent damage to something important like a hand. Not the sort of animal I'd want to see a newbie or most teens owning. I've talked some people out of buying hatchlings from me in the past because I got the impression they were after something they could cuddle and I've also refused to sell to a few people that I discovered were under 18.

Hmmm thanks for clearing that up David. I was just having a rant with someone about the fact I got rejected for class 2 because I hadn't owned monitors before. Having someone as experienced as you explain this certainly sheds light on why they are in the higher class. However, would you not say something like a V. gouldii could inflict just as much damage?
PS sorry for driving this off the topic of pics and onto more of an info thing

As long as lace monitors aren't among the ones brought down. In my opinion (and this is coming from someone that has 'tame' lacies), in some ways they're worse than keeping a venomous snake. For starters, most people wouldn't get as complacent with a venomous snake as they would with a lace monitor. Secondly, with most of the really venomous snakes (in Australia) if you get medical help after a bite the chance of a full recovery is great (save a few kidney issues), whereas with a bad lacie bite you'll likely have permanent damage to something important like a hand. Not the sort of animal I'd want to see a newbie or most teens owning. I've talked some people out of buying hatchlings from me in the past because I got the impression they were after something they could cuddle and I've also refused to sell to a few people that I discovered were under 18.

Completely agree Doc, i'm thinking more like baritji, brevis, however as they aren't common in captivity yet I have reservations. But i'm talking about animals in general. There are some small elapids that are on class one that are rarer and more difficult to look after than say a GTP which are everywhere and cheap nowadays. I just think there should be a generaly review of all animals on both classes.

a few lace monitor shots
110715630.jpg

male and female
110715921.jpg
93101567.jpg

113467081.jpg

113467282.jpg

absolutely awesome lacies crocdoc, i love them.

Although I've never kept gouldii, I've heard from other keepers that a bite from one is less likely than from a lace monitor and also far less effective. Even panoptes, which are known to have a really strong feeding response, apparently don't have nearly as damaging a bite.

Gillsy, I agree 100% that some of the smaller monitors currently on class 2 should be lowered to class 1. Even some of those currently uncommon in the trade aren't necessarily through being tricky captives.

Saximus, although I wasn't aware of the ruling about having to keep a class 1 monitor for a while before getting a class 2, it makes sense, for after a while with a class 1 species a keeper would have a better handle on reading behaviours and coping with the feeding response. Often the only indication I have of my monitors switching over from being 'puppy dog' to 'weapon' is a rapid eye movement or a quick twitch of the head. The longer I keep them, the more careful I have become, too.

Here's a shot I took a couple of years ago when my male lacie, Alex, was gular fluttering while basking. If you look really closely at the gums of his lower jaw, you can vaguely make out the yellowish tips of some of his teeth. I've seen these teeth exposed when he's bitten into something and they're something you'd expect from a shark rather than from a lizard - dagger shaped, razor edged and serrated.
116891740.jpg

It's win/win

:)

Here's an interesting photo, but not of a monitor. This is a hole made by a 1.3m lacie. He actually tore through the wire mesh with his claws and forearms! Fortunately this only led him into a females enclosure! I had to board it up. It would've been a tight squeeze for him.

Attachments

• P4201519.jpg
    P4201519.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
:)

Here's an interesting photo, but not of a monitor. This is a hole made by a 1.3m lacie. He actually tore through the wire mesh with his claws and forearms! Fortunately this only led him into a females enclosure! I had to board it up. It would've been a tight squeeze for him.

Ha ha horny little bugger!

im buying my first lot of varanus acanthurus have only kept snakes until now im picking up next week shall add some pictures then so excited cant wait...

sd1981 - thanks! (just saw your post as it went up while I was still typing mine)
cadwallader - after keeping snakes, keeping monitors will change the way you view reptiles. Have fun, you're going to get a kick out of them!

haha a huge impulse buy... i saw then and my mate was like yer im selling them soon.. i was like cool sold haha should be a change:)

that pic doesnt do there teeth justice croc doc,i had a 4 foot male latch on to my sleeve once,he seemed interested in my cuff so i pulled it over hand and put it near him,he was on to it in a flash and wouldnt let go,even hanging off it doing death shakes,id hate for one to actually get on to flesh,took me quite a while to get it off and even at his size,quite small still the teeth are huge,sharp and perfect for hanging onto prey,the previous owner of my flavies recieved a few bites from different animals,mostly id say mistaking the hand for food,he even required surgery a couple of times,so best to be wary of all monitors,they are all capable of doing serious damage,im actually most wary of my tame ones,especially at feed time,as they arent scared of you and with monitors,some think its food time every time they see you,lol

sd1981 - thanks! (just saw your post as it went up while I was still typing mine)
cadwallader - after keeping snakes, keeping monitors will change the way you view reptiles. Have fun, you're going to get a kick out of them!

Cannot agree more. Even from the small amount of monitors I keep, they are just generally more excited and rewarding to keep due to their activity levels and intelligence.
Gaining their trust is one of the most fulfilling things in reptile keeping for me.

Back