Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thwy look brilliant and huge David have to start planning a trip there myself.I presume you would have to travel to the nearest international airport then travel on to Komodo Island

Easiest way is to fly into Denpasar, Bali, then on a smaller flight to Flores. From there, boat to the islands. People also go from Denpasar to Sumbawa and hit the islands from the west, but most people do it from Flores so it is quite easy to find a boat, guide etc. Rather than go on a tour, three of us just found someone that could organise the boat etc and then negotiated. We stayed on the boat at night, sleeping out on the deck, and the crew provided all meals (traditional Indonesian gorengs, mostly) often mixed in with fish bought from passing boats.

Bring snorkelling or diving gear if you go, as there's a lot to see under water as well as above and the dragons do nothing during the heat of the mid-day sun, anyway.

Crocdoc, are Iace Monitors more closely related to Komodo Dragons than Asian Water Monitors? I would have assumed AWMs are closer relatives based on their distribution.

Have there been any genetic studies regarding the origins of these species?

Last edited:
i might be getting a monitor soon so can someone tell what would be better for a first monitor a ackie or a storrs?.
and what do their basking temps need to be.

Crocdoc, are Iace Monitors more closely related to Komodo Dragons than Asian Water Monitors? I would have assumed AWMs are closer relatives based on their distribution.
Distribution isn't always reliable. There are iguanas and boas on Madagascar, even though Africa has agamids and pythons. South America has side-necked turtles more closely related to Australian side-necked turtles than to the other freshwater turtles one would find in North and Central America. China has a true alligator, even though the rest of the old world only has crocodiles. The list goes on.

Water monitors are quite distantly related from all other Australasian monitors and are usually placed in their own subgenus.

Have there been any genetic studies regarding the origins of these species?
Yes. DNA, mitochondrial DNA, chromosome configuration, micro-complement fixation, hemipenal structure, tooth structure and several other features (some really unusual, unique features not found in other monitors as well). All point to the Komodo dragon being more closely related to lace monitors than to any other living monitor and, sister to the lace monitor/Komodo monitor clade is the tree crocodile, Varanus salvadorii. What's more, fossil evidence suggests that the lineage of Varanus komodoensis and other, similar, giant monitors (such as Varanus priscus) evolved in Australia.

Lizardz_11 - either one, but I'd probably go with the ackies first. Basking temp should be around 50-55C (surface temperature) for an adult, perhaps a bit lower if they're really tiny when you get them (~45C).

Last edited:
Thanks crocdoc, very interesting. I'll have to dig up some of the literature when I get a chance.

Hey everyone i have ben keeping lizards for a long time now, i currently have A Pair of bearded dragons, A PLated Lizard, A Frilled Dragon, and just recently after a long time of wanting one i got a Red Ackie, So i have it in a 4x2x2 enclosure and im using a organic dirt mix with Sand as a substrate and i have about 4 inches of substrate in the front of the cage since the panel only goes 4 inches up and in the back i have about 6 inches high spots with half logs over the dirt so the Ackie can did and make its burro. What els should i add in the cage for it. i have the basking spot at 130 F and the rest of the cage is around 80 cool side and 89 to 94 hot side. i have one half log on the cool side of the cage and one in the middle. is there anything els anyone can think of that i might need ?

My Lacies and Spencers.

Skittles
cf7c8004.jpg

Snickers
83ae1635.jpg

Lasy (she has MBD, because the previous owner obviously knew what was best for her, instead of listening to the experts)
6e1b4e24.jpg

And Tonka (like a Tonka Truck)
f6393b63.jpg

Back