Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this thread was a discussion about why we can't take our herps out in public?? It seems to have been lost in all the conversations about other things!

never intended to wreck her... and in the process of restoring.... but i didnt buy her cos i wanted to be cool.... my dad used to have one so it was for sentimental purposes....

very valid points from everyone.

I just wanted to point out that i didn't buy my snakes because I didn't want an "every day" pet as you call them. I bought my snakes because I genuinely love snakes and have ever since I first found out that they existed when I was a young child. As a teen I found out that you could actually OWN such wonderful creatures, and then since that day I have been wanting one of my very own. Eight years later and I finally win the plea with my parents to let me get one (or two or six :lol:)

My point is, I am not trying to be weird or different, I am just doing what I am passionate about.

I hope every herp-keeper can say the same.

-Penny

If you want something which isn't an "every day" pet, understand that it is not an "every day" pet and most certainly shouldn't be kept as an "every day" pet. If you want to have a pet which you can treat as an "every day" pet, make sure you actually get an "every day" pet.

everyday pets are very hard to keep when u live in units with every day pet restrictions,..!!

late post to the subject.... but i didnt realise you werent allowed to take pythons out of the house ??(im pretty uneducated i guess)... ive taken my lover boy(3 yr old olive) for a walk to get milk, but he was curled up in my jumper, the thing that has stopped me from taking him out more is his safety, not anyone elses...

i wouldnt bother now mate this thread has gone just like so many of the other ones on here....

and my herps get driven to my mums house in my car.... and it was in the assumption that all we get our herps for is to be cool so thats how it got off track....

what kinda datsun? some are cool. 240z's are very cool

Indeed. I miss my 240 :( The only Japanese made car to date to be given "classic" status. I dont know who issues such awards but I'm sure they know their stuff ;) Goertz was on the design team for the 240, (as he was for the famous bmw 507) - so it must be true :).

everyday pets are very hard to keep when u live in units with every day pet restrictions,..!!

That may be the case, but it's no reason to treat your snake as the dog you're not allowed to have.

sdaji it isn't whether i want an everday pet or not, I wanted snakes plain and simple.

I do not treat them anything like 'every day' pets, they probably get better treatment though :lol:
I do handle them occasionally, some days for 5 minutes and some days for an hour or three. I do take mine into the yard occasionally for some sunshine and they love the grass too (not easy to grow grass in the tank, although I plan on experimenting on that very soon - that's for another thread though) and I only take them out one at a time so I can keep a very close eye on them.

I have only taken them to a mates place 2 times and I wish to do so more often (once a month or less most likely) and my posts were in reference to whether it should be possible to register a 2nd address or if I should just continue doing so. I NEVER take my snakes out in public, moreso for their safety than anyone elses, as people tend to be a lot more unpredictable than snakes. I don't need a stranger trying to shovel my baby!

Personally, I don't want to do it as a regular thing, I was not talking about doing weekly shows at my house or my mates house. It was just an occasional thing, and not with strangers, not in public. Also not charging money. If i wanted to do it more regularly then I would be absolutely more than happy to invest in an exhibitors licence, after doing a course or two so that I had solid information to share with people, rather than just personal research (which I tell my friends when they ask questions that I can't confidently answer)

I don't have a problem with people taking an animal to a friends/relatives place on the odd occassion. I have done so myself. However, none of these people keep reptiles themselves so the risk of spreading disease is very limited.

On another point. You simply can not compare reptiles to mammals. A snake is not the same as a dog. I built a nice little enclosure for my Malamute. My dog is 140cm head to tail so I made the enclosure 80cm long which is more than half. It was a bit of an effort to get him in there but I can tell that he is happy...even if he doesn't have enough room to wag his tail, he looks like he is smiling.
Wait on...I think the RSPCA is knocking at my door.........I'll be back.

I don't have a problem with people taking an animal to a friends/relatives place on the odd occassion. I have done so myself. However, none of these people keep reptiles themselves so the risk of spreading disease is very limited.

On another point. You simply can not compare reptiles to mammals. A snake is not the same as a dog. I built a nice little enclosure for my Malamute. My dog is 140cm head to tail so I made the enclosure 80cm long which is more than half. It was a bit of an effort to get him in there but I can tell that he is happy...even if he doesn't have enough room to wag his tail, he looks like he is smiling.
Wait on...I think the RSPCA is knocking at my door.........I'll be back.

dock its tail and reduce to 60cm, more economical with materials?

Just when i was going out to find a dead horse to flog .............
Time for a beer ;)

Aslan you talk about no one giving a good reason for having their herps out and about and potential egative threats to our herps and the native wildlife? How about the POTENTIAL threat to wildlife when you see people walk around with parrots on their should or people that let their cats run around at night outside or farmers who let their dogs run around POTENTIAL mating with our wild native dogs? If we live in a world of POTENTIAL this and that we would never leave our homes. My partner and I take our herps to my daughters school to educate the kids there but by doing this i am supposedly breaking the law?? You say that if people like me are interested in educating people we should go out and get an exhibitors licence?? Well why should I have to spend $5000 just to educate people? I am interested to know wether you and people of the like thinking have stopped to ask why it is that we Herpers have such troubles and such a bad name with the main stream public? Well it's simple it's because there is such a lack of education for the public.

I don't disagree exactly with the current laws but I do however disagree with the cost incurred for the chance to exhibit? The general public will never have the chance to learn if we can't have the chance to offer them any information????

And if it was cheaper you would have heaps of uneducated idiots running around giving wrong information and taking crap............

How about the POTENTIAL threat to wildlife when you see people walk around with parrots on their should or people that let their cats run around at night outside or farmers who let their dogs run around POTENTIAL mating with our wild native dogs? If we live in a world of POTENTIAL this and that we would never leave our homes.

Already so many potential threats to our wildlife and you consider that justification to add another threat and make it worse? Think about it.

My partner and I take our herps to my daughters school to educate the kids there but by doing this i am supposedly breaking the law??

Not supposedly, you are breaking the law.

You say that if people like me are interested in educating people we should go out and get an exhibitors licence?? Well why should I have to spend $5000 just to educate people? I am interested to know wether you and people of the like thinking have stopped to ask why it is that we Herpers have such troubles and such a bad name with the main stream public? Well it's simple it's because there is such a lack of education for the public.

That's one of many reasons. Another reason is that many herpers are either arrogant or ignorant and ignore the laws if they don't agree with them.

:p

Hix

My partner and I take our herps to my daughters school to educate the kids there but by doing this i am supposedly breaking the law??

This hilights my point exactly - have you considered what would happen to the rest of the herp society when one of your snakes, so overly stressed by a horde of small children, strikes out and tags one on the face...?

The authorities would clamp down absurdly on the hobby as a whole...because of one person deciding they were more important than the rest...

I have mentioned this previously and will again, RESPONSIBLE pet ownership is the key, regardless of species - it is entirely IRRESPONSIBLE to take it upon yourself to flaunt the rules when the flow on from that is potentially going to adversely affect the entire herp community...we see how much publi outcry occurs when some clown gets himself bitten on the drink...imagine what would happen if a herper took a snake in public (eg. a school) and a child got bitten...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back