Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to impress the public, learn to juggle something.

well said! :)

i dont like the idea of taking herps out in public at all..... but the way i see it, if you want to take it to your mums place, or a mates place then just do it.... you have to be home for npws to gain entry to see if your herps are there and your not gonna be if your out.... and they are not gonna know your mates address..... so stop trying to change laws.... its not gonna happen.

Treating a python like a fashion accessory is wrong on so many levels. People in our hobby tend to forget that we are in the minority. The majority of the unwashed masses do not like snakes. They will look at them behind glass or on the television and that's fine. But the majority will freak out when they come face to face with a live snake. Taking a python down to the beach is not going to change these peoples attitude.This kind of irresponsible behaviour will only continue to give our hobby a bad name.

Could not agree more .

Quarentine, theft, the risk of infecting your animals and other animals............ Theres a few why you shouldn't. I think youve already covered the good ones.

alright kids now lets get off the subject of taking them out into public....

and i take great offence to all those ppl who have implied that herp keepers would only take thier snakes somewhere to show off or get attention..... my bredli is the only one that goes down the beach and usually spends half his time in my cleavage if not basking in the sun.... now he is a very small 18mth old.... so to all those implying that we herpers arent responsible enough to decide who goes where and why....

And for attention??? really come off it.... i doubt anyone on here would even bother....

Myself I work in a highly respected car dealership in Public Relations (so it is my job to look after the public image), i cover my tattooes, tie my hair back, leave my darling datsun (sorry scarlett i know u need a polish)at home and come in looking well respected....so on weekends you wouldnt recognise me in my weekend job as a DJ and in my spare time.... so to imply that i would do something for attention simply doesnt stick.... and i think most of the ppl on here would be doing the same thing....

So back to the taking it to other ppls houses I dont see why it w ould be so hard to have approved addresses on ur licence.....

And perhaps to stop every tom dick and harry moron getting reptiles WHY IS THERE NO TEST/ASSESTMENT ETC WHEN WE GET OUR LICENCE????

Fine i understand everyones arguements of PUBLIC places and snakes but i dont see why we cant take them to private places....

Can you tell me what benefit your bredli gets from being taken down to the beach?

if u had read ones of my previous posted i stated that its easy for me to run accross the road with him then take him into my back yard or my front yard as theres a few cars being worked on at the moment and i have 2 dogs.....

And perhaps to stop every tom dick and harry moron getting reptiles WHY IS THERE NO TEST/ASSESTMENT ETC WHEN WE GET OUR LICENCE????....

totally agree swingonthespiral, i'm new to herps, had my little childreni since just before christmas, and i was really surprised that i didn't have to go and do a half day course or something on basic husbandry. if it hadn't been for this site i'd be very much in the dark. there were optional courses run by private companies that i could have done however the cost was prohibitive. i reckon NPWS should AT LEAST make you go in to their office and fill out a questionnaire (that way you couldn't cheat off the net by doing it at home).

:)

And perhaps to stop every tom dick and harry moron getting reptiles WHY IS THERE NO TEST/ASSESTMENT ETC WHEN WE GET OUR LICENCE????

For a few people who have posted on this thread and another clever thread they should feel very lucky that there is no test/assessment before recieving a license.

basically taking captive snakes around everwhere will also take captive diseases(suych as OPMV) around everywhere too.
There is also no need to be doing it to start with, wanting to is differant to needing to.

I am rather confused by this statement? How can OPMV be spread tot the wild population if they are being kept away from the wild ones? I mean it isn't as if he lets it slither around in the bush and then gathers him up and takes him home again. I know of several people who keep there herps in open outdoor cages and who live in country areas where other Wild herps come into their yards so surely these situtation have a higher risk of spreading disease from captive to wild and vice versa?

Another point of diseases spread between wild and captive....Some years ago I was involved in the distruction of every captive bird within a 30 km radius of Mangrove Mountain in order to contain the spread of a disease called Newcastle Disease. It was caused by a bacteria which is carried by native birds getting into captive birds (they believe chickens) and mutating creating the loss of co-ordinationa and muscle controll. In affect th animals infected with this disease end up starving due to them being unable to co-ordinate to get their seed.

So with this is mind and the taking what some have said does this now mean that all captive birds regardless of wether they are native species should only be kept in cages where native birs can't get near them?? Or how about farmers dogs that breed with the native and endangered Dingoe? I think all to often people focus on one thing but we need to look at all situations. I think I should be allowed to take my herps where ever I want that animals are allowed. Why should we as Herp keepers be singled out?? another point to consider when people talk about the spread of OPMV... is how about things such as Reptile shows? I mean the people doing these shows often let people hold them and touch them as part of their discussion so how do you know that they aren't contaminating their herps???

Just something to consider anyway

For a few people who have posted on this thread and another clever thread they should feel very lucky that there is no test/assessment before recieving a license.

Never a truer word spoken... Again we need to ask Why are Herps keepers always singled out? You don't need a liscence to own a cat or dog or a meriod of other animals.. Look at the walking fish. If it got into our water ways they could devistate our native fish populations, I am led to believe that they are banned altogether in the NT for just that reason.

and i sincerely hope dude that you werent referring to me with that comment or the claws will surely be coming out....

I think I should be allowed to take my herps where ever I want that animals are allowed. Why should we as Herp keepers be singled out??

What a lot of people are failing to realise here is that reptiles are not domesticated animals,They are also not widely accepted by the wider community.If the logic of the original post is taken to the next step then why shouldn't people (that are allowed to do so in other states) be able to take their crocs or sugar gliders etc down to the beach,pub or whatever?

I think the simple fact is that this law (like many other laws) is in place to prevent the remarkably stupid from doing remarkably stupid things. I personally don't see a need to take my reptiles out of the house, but that is my choice.

I think many reptile keepers are too sensitive and prone to play the victim "But people can take dogs and cats out in public". The fact is it is near impossible to remove a right once it has been allowed. There are benefits on not allowing dogs and cats out in public, but good luck in denying that to the general populace.

Whether it is right or wrong to take your reptiles out in public verges on the handling debate so I won't go there. I will say that these laws are well founded because as we have all seen and heard, there are some remarkable redneck fools keeping reptiles out there and allowing them to take reptiles out in public opens a dangerous can of worms.

and why do u think this is ramsayi???? because ppl have not been educated??? is this because ppl dont come into contact with them other than with a shovel???

and considering its illegal in most states to have crocs i dont think that would be an issue and i dont know anything about sugar gliders so im not gonna comment....

i've had alot of people show interest in my pets and ask me to bring them over to show their kids and stuff.
i've also had neighbours knock on the door asking if they and their kids could hold my bredli cos they saw him basking on the balcony.

although people may not agree with it, i always take my dragons to mums fro a run in the back yard, cos thats something i cant offer them, (i live in a unit) i also take them to my boyfriends cos he has a patch of grass to offer them too, and a few trees to climb, and they love it.

on the way to and back from his place plenty of people have wanted to look in the cat carrier and asked it their kids could touch them.

people who freak out at them dont have to go near them, but i find the majority of the population are geniunely interested in them.

i definately think they should at least be allowed to be taken to other residences.

yeah, there should be a basic test to get a license, i'd take it even further in saying there should be a test for each species before people are allowed to buy them.

I have yet to read in this thread any suitable reason WHY your reptiles should be taken out in public - the general reason seems to be because my friends want to see them or mum wants me to bring it over for Sunday roast...hardly reasons in place for the benefit of the animal and merely 'showing off' their animal (whether you take offence to the term or not)...

...and as soon as someone points out that this is the reason then the reason immediately returns to the education of the public, bt as Jonno from ERD has pointed out, just because you keep a herp doesn't necessarily mean you are the right person to be educating the general populace - in fact it seems quite an arrogant claim. Undoubtedly when people find out you keep reptiles they have a plethora of questions, I am always happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge, but in saying that it would be irresponsible to consider myself someone out there to turn the masses without suitable education yourself...

...but this is an easy problem to counter, if your sole consideration when taking your animals outside for a lovely stroll on the beach is to educate those you pass then surely there is a simple explanation - get yourself an exhibitors licence...they may be expensive but if your goal in life is to educate people about them then it shouldn't be a problem. If it is a problem then perhaps you should resign yourself to only educating those people you trust at your residence...

Regarding 'approved premises' - think about the practical application of that. Does that mean that when NPWS decide to do a spot check on you they need to send the same number of officers to ALL addresses listed on your licence? This obviously can't work as it will quadruple the number of staff required...

...or do they just pick one of the four addresses listed? giving you a 75% chance to keep your exotic smuggled or stolen animals undiscovered...??

There are a number of major reasons why these laws are in place, which have all been brought up a number of times through this thread, and it is irresponsible pet ownership to wish for it any other way. If you are upset that Jim next door can walk his poodle where he likes but you can't take your Coastal then buy yourself a poodle...they may also appreciate the long walks a bit more as well...

Simon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back