Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to hatches both tag me when I first got them not one or twice a few to many hahaha but now handling them every day both just don't really care at all just pick them up out they come they no if they come out they can go have a walk around . I get scared of picking up my 6.5foot carpet some days still havnt got taged by her and don't really want to

a teaspoon of cement in your morning coffee should help

How very constructive.

I personaly think I have some good advice on this others may disagree because apparently the more posts you have the more you know. Put a leather glove on one hand something like a motorcycle or a riggers glove pick the snake up with that hand and once you have it out and it has calmed transfer it over to your other hand and take the glove off.

How very constructive.

I personaly think I have some good advice on this others may disagree because apparently the more posts you have the more you know. Put a leather glove on one hand something like a motorcycle or a riggers glove pick the snake up with that hand and once you have it out and it has calmed transfer it over to your other hand and take the glove off.

I think this is pretty good advice too. I used to use those gloves that I think are for gardening that are made of a thick stretchy and have a coating of cut resistant rubber stuff on the palms. They give you protection but still give you a fair bit of feel for how hard you're holding etc. A combination of that and a hook and you should be sweet in no time

How very constructive.

Yer put ya pimp glove on and show ya snake how much of a girl u are picking up a lil snake :)

I'm ***** scared of needles but would rather fit bit from a snake hahaha

Plenty of good suggestions, pretty much a case of see what works for you. One thing I found with one of mine which was snappy was when you open the lid and they go into the s shape was to wait 30 seconds or so standing very still and the snake will relax again then pick it up or hook it out (think about it this way - you would be pretty ***** scared if something massice came and lifted up the corner of your roof and had a peek in). Hooking it out to start with would be a good way to go and get some time handling the snake (short periods though) and you will get more confident in the pythons nature.
You don't have to go out and buy a proper hook either, I have been using one for years that is just a bent up piece of thin wire, just upgraded and made one out of a piece of 1.6mm stainless TIG welding wire - Fancy I know

As someone else said it is the anticipation that is the killer, the bite from a hatchy spotted is nothing more that someone grabbing you with a bit of cource sand paper.

Cheers
James

Let us know how you get one

Josh, my yearling Spotted tagged my daughter the week we got him. She pulled back out of surprise because it was so sudden but commented that it didn't hurt at all and it didn't even break the skin. He got her right on the knuckle.

In my limited experience I would say. Just be calm but move with purpose. If your going to pick her up just do it. If u stop in front of her you have best chance of getting tagged. You will find its not the pain your scared of its the inbuilt fear of a snakes strike. Once you get over the shock of it a little you will be fine. Slow and gentle. But don't stop. Or you can take the lid off and leave her for a little wile and when she comes up for a look you know she not been defensive.

Lucas

if your worried about getting tagged by a small snake like that open your hand out flat and when she moves into s shape touch her nose with your palm. because your palm is a flat surface and her mouth so small she will bounce of if she does try normally if you touch her nose she will back off then hook pinkie under her and pick her up. Ive got a couple of childreni that are trying to eat you as soon as you pull there click clack out of shelf so if shes only s shaping and not striking its all bluff. You seriously can not change water or substrate in their cage without getting hit ten times lucky there only 25cm long and dont hurt only draw a little bit of blood

Easiest way to get over any apprehension is to look away then stick your hand in.By looking away it eliminates the compulsion to pull your hand away quickly when the snake strikes.Once you realise that it doesn't hurt at all you wont be so nervous about it.

Never had to worry with our Stimmy, handled her from a baby then got a little B&G Jungle that loved to "S' spark up, get yourself a wooden coat hanger, unscrew the handle and screw it in the soft end and there you have a cheap hook.
Hook them in the upper to middle part and lift. Easy peasy...
Most of all do it for short periods of time til she gets used to it and will soon learn the difference between being feed and handled...
Have fun and happy herping...

Go & get bitten by a large jungle, bhp or coastal & then when you get bitten by the hatchie you will have no problems.LOL.

Seriously though it is natural for us to be scared of a strike or bite, it still makes me jump a bit even from a hatchie & when a big one tags me I curse a lot (mostly because i have done something stupid at feed time).
It is also natural for the young snake to protect itself as in the wild everthing wants to eat them. They soon calm down with gentle handling. I have a clutch of coastal hatchies here at present & there is a couple that just can't help themselves but to tag everything & then there are others from the same clutch that are as calm as anything.

Cheers
Ian

Ok I finally did it still scary lol but I did it . She didn't even have a go at me .
724e11e5-e2fb-fc7a.jpg
724e11e5-e30a-410f.jpg

So when I open the click clack and she sees me and she goes in that s bend should I just slowly move towards her with my hand and if she gets me she gets me and just pick her up?.

move slowly and don't freak her out,BTW at that age the teeth are too soft to hurt you so it's just the sudden strike that freaks you out

there you go and it didn't hurt a bit,now you have some living jewellery

Last edited:
I have to get my husband do get my baby out, I'm scared too. I'm going to try hooking, that's a better idea. I'm fine once he gets in his favourite position, Im not scared, it's the first movement thing that scares me! He loves to curl around my wrist for some reason, like a bracelet, then he stays there till I feel he's too hot, then the fun begins trying to peel him off!!!!

Ok I finally did it still scary lol but I did it . She didn't even have a go at me .
724e11e5-e2fb-fc7a.jpg
724e11e5-e30a-410f.jpg

Just saying u have a tattoo on ya head that would of hurt more then the snake bite just saying

Now I don't feel so silly haha iv got a yearling SWCP and freaked out about getting bitten as iv never been bit before. I'll swap you if u like I'd rather be bit by that lil one a tip if your worried distract them with one hand and with other grab from behind :)

I used to have the same fear and the exact same type only a 4 month old. Then i just bent a plastic coat hanger into a hook and have used that ever since. Now i'm never afraid of handling my python.

Obviously your snakes a wallabies supporter. No wonder he tried to bite you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back