Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I havnt read this whole thread so i dont know if this has been said or not but the best way is to just be bitten haha you get use to it well maybe im just a freak and it doesnt effect me but in saying that i havnt been bitten by anything over 2m+ ive been bitten by a 2m scrubbie and coastal there the biggest snakes to bite me and it didnt phase me much.

iv been using dettol which is what the girl at the shop suggested but he doesnt seem to care. at first i thought he could somehow still smell the rat/cats and thats why he was biting. but i make sure i scrub my hands/arms before i get him. the first time he properly bit me turned out that he was hungry but hes since been fed and has digested it.
i tried using the hook but the little bugger just zooms up it and strikes out anyway.

ill invest in some repti hand or the F10 and see how he goes with that.
all hopes of him being a mummys boy are slowly going out the window..haha

I must admit when I first walked into the reptile store, (Gully Reptile Centa) to buy my first snake, Sprocket, I was VERY scared of getting bitten.... After chatting to the guys there, Andrew in this circumstance, we were trying to work out which snake was best suited to me, I handled Sprocket, (Stimson python) no worries, he was and still is a darling, Andrew then brought out a spotted python hatchling, which was as snappy as anything, and I said to Andrew, no way, way too snappy for me, then i asked should I just let it bite me to experience it and get over it, he laughed and said yes, so I sorta waved my hand in front of the spotted and sure enough, it striked, however, I didn't even feel it..... I was like, is that the best you've got... Lol.....

I ended up buying the Stimson, the first snake I held there, and don't regret it one bit.... Although since we have had him home, I was always very reluctant to get him out of his enclosure, I would always get my husband to get him out, then I would take him from my husband, well last Wednesday, I had no choice but to get him out myself, as I needed to take him back to the Gully reptile Centa to be sexed, so I can double check he actually is male before I bring home my little girl, I found if I put my hand flat in the cage, near him, so he can see me, and slowly move my hand towards him letting him smell me, so he knows it's me, then I get the hook, hook him using my other hand and place him on my hand that is next to him, I have no worries....

I have also noticed that since I have become more confident in myself, he has become more confident in me, if that makes sense, he use to always want to go back to my other half before last Wednesday, now, he loves me, and spends hours sitting with me watching tv, or while I'm on the computer, so I think like most animals, they can sense fear, and hence will be defensive....

But this is just my opinion, which I have hardly any experience only owning him for 2 months and this being my first snake..... But something as a newbie also I have found!

I have to hatches both tag me when I first got them not one or twice a few to many hahaha but now handling them every day both just don't really care at all just pick them up out they come they no if they come out they can go have a walk around . I get scared of picking up my 6.5foot carpet some days still havnt got taged by her and don't really want to

I had held a mates bredli bout 4 foot no worries my hatched childreni no worries but then a 6-7 foot coastal in the cold the bloke said was a kitten, I was shaking in my boots I picked up off the grass he said 'oh actually last week he savages me mate big time'. But 10th min with it I was fine I think it actually liked my body warmth.
Just gently hand under it belly and slide it on to your other hand

a teaspoon of cement in your morning coffee should help

Just luv it

I'm sure someone will say I'm wrong but I would guess there isn't a snake keeper out there that hasn't been bitten. My 6ft DP decided to take a nibble on my hand a few weeks ago and he had never bitten. Doesn't hurt unless its something real big and they cling on.
Good management is the best advice, don't try to handle after a feed or during a shed until you build your confidence and the snake builds confidence in you.

Last edited:
Just luv it

I'm sure someone will say I'm wrong but I would guess there isn't a snake keeper out there that hasn't been bitten. My 6ft DP decided to take a nibble on my hand a few weeks ago and he had never bitten. Doesn't hurt unless its something real big and they cling on.
Good management is the best advice, don't try to handle after a feed or during a shed until you build your confidence and the snake builds confidence in you.

Iv'e been keeping snakes for about 2 years maybe 3....
Only up untill a month or so ago did I start getting bitten by some new jungles...

Iv'e been keeping snakes for about 2 years maybe 3....
Only up untill a month or so ago did I start getting bitten by some new jungles...

I started keeping snakes some 20years ago and was bitten in the first week lol, so well done to you.
The fear is more consuming than the bite and that goes for every bite I have thus far received. Luckily I have not yet been bitten by a really big snake though I have seen some nasty ones. With the youngsters its just a natural reaction, some others are bad tempered and with some they are just eager for dinner. Comes with the territory. In my opinion that is.

^ Right paul.... part of the kick of keeping reptiles is they are not cuddly, fluffy.... 'safe' little pets. If you want to be sure not to get bitten, ever.... you would have to get a rubber snake :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back