Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haircut_mcgregor

Reaction score
sometime within the next few months i plan to get a snake or python, unfortunately i do not know very much, i plan on doing some sort of course or program as i want to be the best snake/python owner i can be, but i need information, any suggestions for an ideal snake? preferably something more placid, and not too big. Easier to feed would also be good....please help, i have been amazed and intrigued by snakes since i was young. also somewhere to do a course in melbourne would be awesome, and licensing details, and average costs for all aspects of one of these beautiful creatures...
THANKS!
Tim:D

maybe get a spotted python or a stimsons their both kool

Childrens , spotted or stimsons make ideal first pythons for beginners only grow to 3 or 4 foot and most have good temperaments if handled from a young age. where are you located as there are a few courses run in capital cities. Also plenty of useful info on this site just check out Wiki

Hi there. Pretty much you dont need to do a course, but it does help in your knowledge yes. I know up here in QLD theres a 3 day reptile course, call your state Tafe. Best snake to start with is something small i think. Childrens, Spotted, and Stimsons Pythons are all generally very placid snakes that eat very well and only grow abotu 1.0m-1.2m in length as adults. Also id buy a juvenille python. People will say hatchling, but hatchlings can be a bit snappy, due to now knowing the different between yourself and a predator. As juvenilles they (most) begin to understand that your not a threat. So id go with these 3 species and id go either hatching or juvenille python. The size enclosure it needs as a hatchling should be very small as too much space is overwhelming, or even a click clack ( a small container ) with a heating device like a heat mat underneath one end of it. Or you could get a small enclosure. As adults the more room the better i say, for that species id reccommend at least a 60x60x60cm enclosure, bigger if possible, with a hiding place and a few branches for climbing. Also a heat source up one end and nothing down the other, so there is a cool end and a hot end. I hope this helps somewhat!

hey, thanks for the help, i was thinking about a spotted python, i am located in melbourne...also my mate reckons his old man has a scrub python, what are they like? ive been told to steer clear for a first python but apparently theyre real cool lookin snakes, real mean lookin lol...

Hey Tim
You are probably looking at around $700.00 in total for a childrens python and and a fully wired up enclosure. That would get you probably a 4Ft enclosure but a 3 ft enclosure is more than big enough If you decide on a childrens.
3ft enclosures are around the $300.00 & 4 ft enclosures around the $400.00 mark
Their are a couple people on this site that build enclosures but I dont know if there are any in Vic.
Dont go racing out & paying shop prices straight away before you check prices out on APS.
Im sure somebody on here will be happy to build you one.
Also there are always snakes for sale on APS just check out the for sale column.
There are a lot of good snake people on this site that are more than happy to help new members.
As for learning the basics dont go paying a couple of hundred dollars to some of the so called experts in victoria.
Their are plenty of very knowledgible snake handlers around here that will gladly answer your questions for free.
Snake prices generally start around the $250.00-$300.00 mark depending on what you decide on.
Good luck
Cheers
Les

They are the BIGGEST python you yourself can keeP, in excess of 13feet they can get to! I wouldnt recommend for a 1st snake. They can have snappy temperaments. id go with a spotted, stimson or childrens FOR SURE!

Heres some pics of those 3 species! (Left to Right): Spotted, Childrens and Stimson! You can pick up these guys from $180-$250 a hatchling!

Attachments

• Spotted Python.jpg
    Spotted Python.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Childrens Python.jpg
    Childrens Python.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Stimson Python.jpg
    Stimson Python.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 90
also dont write off carpet pythons, they are in a similar price range and can be very easy to look after. just keep in mind that they can get quite big 6-10ft.
some localities are smaller such as certaint types of jungles, but are commonly yhtought to be snappy.
if money is not a major issue you could also consider a woma python. u will need an advanced licence (will just cost a bit extra), but these are very attractive snakes and the NT and WA varieties are smaller than carpets.
youre best bet is to research a particular snake that u like to make sure that u can provide for it. they can all be good pets, it seems to be more dependent on the individual snake than the species in general.

Auzlizardking has got some great looking enclosures on special at the moment in the 4 sale section
Hes in NSW but he may how much it would cost to get it to Vic and there are some good looking bredlis hatchling 4 sale as well.

The first question you should ask is 'WHY' you want to get a snake......that will help you choose the type of snake you are after.

the reason WHY i want to get a snake is because i find them to be the most beautiful, fascinating creatures i have every seen, i love the way they look and the way they feel, i have wanted to own a snake since i ever handled a snake for the first time (primary school, carpet python)..how big an encolsure would i need for a carpet python??
money is not much of an issue as i am putting away money for it... cheers

depends on what species of carpet python you are talking about lol. (LEFT TO RIGHT) Centralian (aka Bredli) carpet, Coastal Carpet, Darwin Carpet, Diamond Carpet, Murray Darling Carpet, and Jungle Carpet! (next post). Take your pic :)

Attachments

• bredli Carpet.jpg
    bredli Carpet.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 69
  • Coastal Carpet.jpg
    Coastal Carpet.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Darwin Carpet.jpg
    Darwin Carpet.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Diamond Carpet.jpg
    Diamond Carpet.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Murray Darling.jpg
    Murray Darling.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 72
Good luch Haircut you seem to be takeing your time and want to do a course , and you want to learn , and are after a good set up, so thats more than some do. Childrens are a good lot to start with, look after it and enjoy herps cheers.

whos bredli are they celly? gorgious...

Yeah I was looking at the childrens and still will get one but I fell inlove with a little boy bredli and after a tone or more of study I think they are a good first choice BUT they do grow big.
If you don't have much space then I would go the childrens family. Just look at loads of pics and read read read youll fall for one :) Just make sure your prepared ! A really good book is whats wrong with my snake. ...

enjoy

the reason WHY i want to get a snake is because i find them to be the most beautiful, fascinating creatures i have every seen, i love the way they look and the way they feel, i have wanted to own a snake since i ever handled a snake for the first time (primary school, carpet python)..how big an encolsure would i need for a carpet python??
money is not much of an issue as i am putting away money for it... cheers
:D and they are the right reasons and why most of us are avid herpers. The size of the enclosure will depend on what age snake you get. Generally you want to aim for an enclosure that has MINIMUM dimensions of:

Width = 1/2 length of snake
Depth = 1/4 length of snake
Height = 1/4 length of snake.

In regards to these measurements, if it is an arboreal species then switch the length and height proportions. However, ideally you want an enclosure that is AS WIDE(or high) as your snake is long or bigger and then 1/2 this dimension in depth and height (or width) of the snake.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Josh =0)

Not sure bunnykin, theyre off google lol, just go show haircut the different species of carpet, lol i wish i know so i could tell you! Womanator, great advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back