Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care how it is pronounced anywhere else in the world.In Austraya it is pronounced mel a mine.

Thank you :) the straya way, "mel a mine"
And sax.. Always coming up with an answer.. However, the question was "how does everyone (on this Australian forum) pronounce it?" Not how do Americans and Brits pronounce it!
So does this meen u'll be saying it my way in the future?

I assumed it was just because that's how it is spelled. When you're talking about personal ownership of an object, there aren't many people who would say "that object is meen" :p
What determines how things are pronounced and what determines when the pronunciation is changed? I think that when the majority of a country pronounces something one way then that country would be compelled to change the pronunciation to suit. As we have seen in previous posts in this thread latin pronunciation has changed a number of times and I think that the English language too would evolve over time.

Also been mispronouncing Bredli for some time. Tee hee. :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I built my first enclosure I went into bunnings and asked for some mel-a-mean to be cut to size and the guy looked at me funny and said "You mean mel-a-MINE. What size did you want your mel-a-MINE?" I bent to social convention and now say mel-a-mine... most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back