Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't crowned snakes venomous?
Big list, I'd get a monitor.

I reckon shingle-backs are a couple 100's

I have seen the odd ad for about $300 give or take.

Not sure why there don't seem to be many around or why they are so much dearer than say a bluey tho. My daughter really wants one but I haven't seen any in QLD for sale so we would have to add an extra $70 freight onto that, so she will have to wait. The ones we have had are injured wild ones that we were caring for, so they are very easy to tame.

Where are you getting the gillens from GeckPhotographer?

OOps!
Gonna freight a couple hatchies from someone is Qld.

what is a V.gillen's common name ?
Pygmy mulga monitors. They are probably a little less handle-able than ackies but they are less agressive toward their own species than ackies.

Ok. I assume you have the space to house it. I do not have as much space as I would like for if I was going to keep a ridge tail but enough for some gillens so I went this way.

If I had a choice between Gillens and Ackies, I'd go Gillens everytime! Some Ackies can be very aggressive towards cagemates, and even kill them (very stressing, I found). Note, I said "some" (for all those Ackie lovers out there:))! Gillens don't like handling (no monitor does, really), but can be kept in relatively small enclosures, in groups and interact all the time, so great entertainment. Easy to breed and care for, you just need a high basking temp (50-70c) and plenty of insects.

Good luck with your choice.

I'd get you a pet rock!
I have a pet rock I would definitely advise one to anyone who wants low maintenance pet with few medical issues.

If I had a choice between Gillens and Ackies, I'd go Gillens everytime! Some Ackies can be very aggressive towards cagemates, and even kill them (very stressing, I found). Note, I said "some" (for all those Ackie lovers out there:))! Gillens don't like handling (no monitor does, really), but can be kept in relatively small enclosures, in groups and interact all the time, so great entertainment. Easy to breed and care for, you just need a high basking temp (50-70c) and plenty of insects.

Good luck with your choice.

How much of their diet is comprised of insects and how much can you feed them mince chicken etc? I am not getting them for a little while and have only really started researching. (Not to mention a friend is borrowing my copy of keeping and breeding Australian lizards.P)
And to add a measure of relevance to this thread could you compare that to the same question with ackies?

I'd feed both species calcium dusted insects (woodies/ crickets) and stay away from meats altogether, but that's just me. K&B is a great source of info for both species. I also used to feed some wild caught insects/ arachnids for variety. It always amazed me to watch Gillens tackle a large Huntsman Spider, they're like a sheepdog off the chain:)!

Sounds awesome, my father who pays for what I feed my animals will definitely want me feeding these guys mince and stuff as well to cut down on price, but I will be sure to keep the insects up to them as well and will keep in mind using wild caught for variety. Are there any arthropods worrisome for them to deal with that you know of?

Probably. Think of what shares their particular micro habitat and collect accordingly, I'd say. Some of the larger ground dwelling spiders, centipedes, hairy caterpillars and "stink" bugs, I'd stay away from. Though my mature pair did like "wolf" spiders:)!

how are they to handle ??? how big do they get ?and why are they called black headed monitors just googles them and they dont even have black heads lol

thanx mate, ive actually just finished building two enclosures took my kids to the aquatic center , fully cleaned out 10 enclosures and my 15mX20m shed. Made a BBQ lunch and weeded 1/3 of half an acre,god forbid I should relax for an hour or so , hay.

Yes i agree they are lovely , are they okay to handle but ?

they grow up to about 60-70 cm they are a very active animal good for a display, im getting one soon, hopefully people say they are smart and good to handle so i guess if you do it often enough they will be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back