Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont no about any RP carpet pythons but theres a pair of spotted carpet pythons on the herptrader for sale LOL interesting snake.

LOL Yeah saw those spottd carpets advertised lol I wonder if people who have purchased these rpm's would have spent ridiculous amounts ofcash if they knew about the neuro problems,I was under the impression only some had these problems but that doesn't seem to be the case.I'm sure we'll have something very similar to jags without any problems and much cheaper down the track.Maybe they won't be as stunning as some of the overseas stuff but remember we usually only get to see pics of the nice ones,some jags don't look anything special at all.If they were crosses nobody would pay that amount of money it just peees me right off that some people are getting away with these blatantly out in the open for all to see.Many of them didn't look anything special at all,I'll stick with jungles all the way which also have many inherited traits such as striping etc the only ones that looked quite nice looked like jungle jags but looked very close to some jungles geting around.With neuro problems plus a lethal gene when bred together make them very undesirable to me that's for sure.Overseas have already muddied the pond as it is,do we really want these in the Australian herp scene????

LOL Yeah saw those spottd carpets advertised lol I wonder if people who have purchased these rpm's would have spent ridiculous amounts ofcash if they knew about the neuro problems,I was under the impression only some had these problems but that doesn't seem to be the case.I'm sure we'll have something very similar to jags without any problems and much cheaper down the track.Maybe they won't be as stunning as some of the overseas stuff but remember we usually only get to see pics of the nice ones,some jags don't look anything special at all.If they were crosses nobody would pay that amount of money it just peees me right off that some people are getting away with these blatantly out in the open for all to see.Many of them didn't look anything special at all,I'll stick with jungles all the way which also have many inherited traits such as striping etc the only ones that looked quite nice looked like jungle jags but looked very close to some jungles geting around.With neuro problems plus a lethal gene when bred together make them very undesirable to me that's for sure.Overseas have already muddied the pond as it is,do we really want these in the Australian herp scene????

Well said... At least not everyone is climbing over each other to get these things... I cant see the whole situation ending well...

Thanks for everyones input, seems as though there arent as many kicking around as I thought.
As for alot of peoples perception of these animals dropping price quite quickly, I tend to disagree. Sure they are a dominant trait, but we have to remember that only 50% of the offspring will be Reduced pattern or Jag. I understand that people will breed them over animals that will produce large clutchs, but generally animals that produce large clutchs such as Bredli, Coastals or Athertons dont tend to produce as nice Jags as something like Black and Golds that generally only have small clutchs. Therefore IMO there will be large numbers produced from less attractive parents IMO these offspring will be cheaper as they are less attractive. Fewer available from more attractive parents, therefore these animals being a little more expensive as they are generally more attractive. When you think about it a Palmerston Jungle usually only has 12 or so eggs, thats only 6 Jags produced in theory.
Even if a breeder managed to produce 4 clutchs of 12 eggs from a jag, your only talking about 24 Jags.
Not trying to say that Bredli, Coastals or Athertons are ugly by the way. Just that generally Jungle cross Jags tend to be quite good looking in my opinion

What about some Atherton lines kicking around?There's some very very nice Atherton jungles around even SXR Athertons produce some stunning animals and there's a few other very nice bloodlines.What about jag like Prossies,they can lay a decent sized clutch and would most likely produce nicer jags but no matter how nice they are or what they're crossed with there's still the neuro issues.Also there are some stunning coastals which as mentioned have large clutches.Take a look at the coastal thread you'll see ow ice some can be!

Curious as to what makes you so certain the rpms are jags browns? Just asking because to me they really don't look like jags? I guess we will know for sure once someone breeds rpm to rpm and wether or not it proves fatal. surely sxr wouldn't be selling off animals which are renowned for all having neuros problems, or a fatal super form and hoping noone will notice/realize they really are jags?... Or would they? Not trying to start an argument or anything as you probably know alot more about it than me, just curious?

You have to remeber, if a jag is bred to anything other than a coastal, it will not produce pure jag offspring (ofcorse assuming the jag used is pure in the first place,which it probably isn't). Everything else would be a jungle x jag, or Bredli x jag hybrid etc. From what I've read on o/s forums, Jags bred to things like jungles tend to produce messy and unpredictable offspring with maybe 1 or 2 decent looking animals even if the parents are nice. Where as a nice jag bred to a nice coastal will almost always results in all very nice jags. But are the neuro problems worth it like browns said??? Probably not.

Last edited:
those two year olds dont look anything like jags lol only one looks like it maybe could be a jag sibling, the yearlings however...would be very suprised to find out that they werent jag cross whatever offspring

You mean definitely not!

It depends on how nice some are coming out tho, if we see the likes of o/s standards been breed and made available it may certainly take off and appeal to alot of people who will either be unaware of neuro problems or will completely disrgard this.

But i beleive were going to have to wait and see what the next 5-10 years bring us. With jags now coming out, other pure albino snakes other then darwins (bhp,olives) plus i beleive we will have pretty much every snake come out in albino thanks to people crossing darwins.

Now it appears that all those anti hybrid campainers have switched sides or gone underground thanks to jags, it will be interesting to see what happends with more indepth species crosses and albino crosses

Last edited:
Curious as to what makes you so certain the rpms are jags browns? Just asking because to me they really don't look like jags? I guess we will know for sure once someone breeds rpm to rpm and wether or not it proves fatal. surely sxr wouldn't be selling off animals which are renowned for all having neuros problems, or a fatal super form and hoping noone will notice/realize they really are jags?... Or would they? Not trying to start an argument or anything as you probably know alot more about it than me, just curious?

They look like jags to me, and being co-dom that is enough for me to call them jags...

The reduced pattern and increased colour screams Jag...

as I said it is just my opinion that Black and Golds will make better jags. There certainly are stunning Athertons, take Mike Moores line for instance. There certainly are stunning coastals, but I like Black and Gold cross Jags. Recently some photos circulated via mobile phone, those jags were apparently Black and Gold cross Jags and another which I am unsure of, both IMO were stunning animals but the Black and Golds were beautiful, I would pay decent cash for a jag similar.
I still have no idea whose they were, or if there are some of them available though.

those two year olds dont look anything like jags lol only one looks like it maybe could be a jag sibling, the yearlings however...would be very suprised to find out that they werent jag cross whatever offspring

Remember those are only the ones that are being sold.... Imagine what they could've held back for themselves....

Does anyone actually know anyone who bought those said RPM two and one year olds? (no need to name names) I have a conspiracy theory that maybe they were never even available for sale. Maybe they were just used to test the water depth before diving.

Does anyone actually know anyone who bought those said RPM two and one year olds? (no need to name names) I have a conspiracy theory that maybe they were never even available for sale. Maybe they were just used to test the water depth before diving.

They seemed to be mostly all sold when i got the email saying they were on sale.

It is certainly a possibility ewan, i have to agree with some people that they dont even look like jags to me

Ive had a couple of pms since starting this thread, I can confidently say and Im not going to name names but they were certainly bought, and bought by people reading this thread,

Ive had a couple of pms since starting this thread, I can confidently say and Im not going to name names but they were certainly bought, and bought by people reading this thread,

going to give a big LOL at that one, seriosly why would you, even if theyre legit co-dom jags there will be no doubt some specimens of a much much higher quality for a much much lower prices coming up for sale very soon

The snakes were all sold. People who bought them knew exactly what they were and exactly what they were getting, otherwise they wouldn't have paid around 4k for a nice "reduced patterned" carpet. There has been neuro problems with a few animals overseas but with outcrossing (jag x unrelated carpet) I highly doubt it will be a problem - it can only strengthen the lines.

that's what i was thinking, even this thread could be part of it. perhaps barramundi's first name is simon. that would explain why this is the only RPM thread not to be deleted.

The snakes were all sold. People who bought them knew exactly what they were and exactly what they were getting, otherwise they wouldn't have paid around 4k for a nice "reduced patterned" carpet. There has been neuro problems with a few animals overseas but with outcrossing (jag x unrelated carpet) I highly doubt it will be a problem - it can only strengthen the lines.

The gene which causes the jag mutation is obviously unstable (hence the nurological problems, and the wonderful super lucistic form," I bet they look great in their formaldehyde jars") You can't "stengthen a line" when you are breeding them purely to exploit that one defective gene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back