Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
making nice $$$, doin what you love, being your own boss in a store spreading the love what more could you ask for

For those of you who missed it, Iluvsmyreptiles posted this in another recent thread on this topic!!!

There has been a review of the Nature Conservation Regulation 1994.

The following can be sold at pet shops as of 1st March 2004:

Common Name Scientific Name

The following reptiles of the family Agamidae -

central netted dragon Ctenophorus nuchalis
inland bearded dragon Pogona vitticep

family Scincidae -

pink-tounged lizard Hemisphaeriodon gerrardii
eastern blue-tongues lizard Tiliqua scincoides
cunningham's skink Egernia cunninghami

family Chelidae-

eastern snake-neck turtle Chelodina longicollis
saw-shelled turtle Elseya latisternum
krefft's river turtle Emydura krefftii
murray turtle Emydura macquarii

family Geckonidae-

thick-tailed gecko Underwoodisaurus milii
rough knob-tailed gecko Nephrurus asper
smooth knob-tailed gecko Nephrurus laevissimus

family Boidae-

childrens python Liasis childreni
spotted python Liasis maculosus
stimpsons python Liasis stimpsoni

Other changes include not doing returns every 6 months, but rather completing a movement advice for each new animal purchased and the cost for rec licence will be $50 for 5 years

Personally I am appauled at this legislation and do not condone in anyway the commercial trade of herps... but that is just me!!!

Cheers
AG

Don't agree with petshops selling any herps.There's more than enough available for everyone the way it is at present.That's just me though.

The Whitsudays is an absoluely gorgeous place to live!Stacks of herps but not as many and as varied as Pilbara.

no its bucketing down at the moment and its going to get worse

Not up here. The weather is perfect at the moment!

And I love the state of origin being a New south welshwoman living in Qld lol

ps You can always take a weekender to Canberra.
I thought that they could sell herps in Canberra too. I was in Canberra in January for the Summernats so I called in a few pet stores to see what they had. I spoke to one owner who was a breeder himself and he told me that they could only sell blue tongues ($80.....I think I'll pass)

It is a hot topic but i think it will lead to impulse buying and the reptiles not being looked after correctly!!!!!!!

i think we should examine how it works overseas. which is badly.
anyone can buy anything they want with no idea on how to keep it and get bad advice from novice pet store workers. after not being able to care for them, they often set them free.
they introduced the need for fact sheets in 1 state but everyone got upset because they wanted to make them take fact sheets on mice when they bought them for feeders.

reptiles should be in a specialty store. this will give more range of species too, because you'll be dealing with experienced herpetologists. in pet stores...they will hire anyone. we need to able to give the information needed to keep the particular reptile.
care sheets could be given with each one.

but we have laws and at least we will still have to show a license.
mudmum

Bob-The-Builder and I went out to The Pet Barn in Nerang on the Gold Coast this morning to check out the reptile situation.

They got in their first herps yesterday. They have turtles (not sure which type), Cunningham's Skinks, Central Netted Dragons, Red Phase Vitticeps, plus Maccy, Childreni and Stimpy hatchlings.

The turtles they haven't decided a price for yet, Cunningham's are $150 for babies, Central Netted Dragons were $650 for a trio (I think), and the vitticeps were $200 :shock: That AMAZED me, as I know for a fact (from personal experience) that one of the bigger breeders in Logan sells her red phase vitticeps for $25 each. The Maccy's are $225, Childreni are $260, and Stimpy's are $295.

Another interesting point I found was about information given. Two weeks ago I contacted QPWS/EPA to ask a licensing question. For those of you not familiar with Qld licensing procedures, in QLD, our licenses are called Recreational Wildlife Licenses, and in the past, they've been issued as RWL: Reptiles, RWL: Amphibians and RWL: Birds. I think that has changed now for new applications, but as mine is an older one, it is a RWL: Reptiles. I was looking at getting frogs and/or turtles, so I called QPWS/EPA and asked how my license would need to be changed. They told me I would need to apply to have Amphibians added to my license, making it RWL: Reptiles and Amphibians.

I mentioned in passing to the guy at Pet Barn that I was thinking of getting Frogs/Turtles, but I needed to have my license adjusted, and he very confidently told me that it wasn't required. I told him that QPWS/EPA TOLD me I needed to have amphibians added to it, and he blatantly told me QPWS/EPA were wrong!

So you do you listen to? Who will young children and inexperienced first buyers listen to? I don't think they should have allowed Pet Stores to have them in the first place. Serious herp lovers had plenty of avenues to purchase reptiles already.

Mel x

The biggest pet store in Wagga is run by a guy and his son who are both major breeders( of snakes). They really know their stuff and any herps that they would sell in their store would certainly be looked after properly.
I do agree about the impulse buying being a problem. However, I think that if ppl found that the hobby was not for them they could always take the snake back to the petshop. and get part of their money back as I know the guy here would buy them back.

All dealers in WA MUST ACCEPT any unwanted pet herpetofauna covered under the provisions of their license from any licensed keeper whether or not any remuneration is given to the keeper. Should stop people just releasing into the wild you would hope.

I am on the North Side of Brisbane and have been contenplating the idea of opening a Herp Specialty shop. Anyone in this area who would like to meet up and talk about the idea email me, looking for ideas and even other interested parties. [email protected]

Colin - I'd be interested in working there...I'm cheap to hire and know my stuff. However, I can't put any funding into it. And I'd have trouble selling to just any old gimp...

That's part of the overall plan. I would ideally like to be able to turn people away that seem as though their hearts aren't in it. Also things such as people who wish to get there licence would be encouraged to do a begginers course with ongoing assistance. If all goes according to plan I will have something up and running before the end of the year(if not sooner) I could jump in right now but I would rather wait until we know exactly what is going to happen with all the new rules. Planning on having THE STORE, if you know what I mean? Starting my home work already.

Someone opened a Herp-only shop in Wodonga....not far from Wagga.
They lasted about 6 months.
I guess they turned away to many prospective customers.
While I applaud your enthusiasm Cwarren, you are niave if you think a business (no matter what it is) can afford to turn away customers.

Albury/Wodonga is a pretty big town.
I didn't mean to sound all doom and gloom.
It would be great if Cwarren could make a living out of something he loves.

best of luck to any one who is attempting to get a shop started
it will be a great experiance if you get it goin !!! :D

this morning i was at the nerang (qld) pet barn and they had pythons, turtles and lizards...a very sad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back