Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah spiders are not my best friend, by the way speakin of spiders my brother was bitten by a white tail the doctor's reckon. i think he is just a wuss.

Spiders are yummy.

I also hear that they're typically 60% protein! Three times higher than beef.

Sdaji said:
Spiders are yummy.

I also hear that they're typically 60% protein! Three times higher than beef.

Oh really, what's your source? Or is this from personal experience?
:D :D

Or is this from personal experience?

As I said, it's what I've heard, or rather, read. I've come across a few references giving that value, however, it could be that they all sourced the figure from the same origin, which could have been inaccurate. Beef's protein content on the other hand is well known :)

Oh, the yummy bit, on the other hand, is from personal experience.

I agree with your observations on 'yumminess'. :D

As for protein levels, I assume you would have to eat an awful lot of spiders to make up for the protein that is found in a piece of steak. I have seen footage of natives of a certain country searching for tarantulas to eat, and surely this would use up as much protein if not more, to dig them up than it would give you to eat them?

As for protein levels, I assume you would have to eat an awful lot of spiders to make up for the protein that is found in a piece of streak.

I suppose it depends upon the size of the spiders and the piece of steak. If it's true that spiders are more than three times higher in protein than beef, it follows that you'd need less than on third the mass of spider to get the same amount of protein. You'd have to eat more spiders than cows, but each spider is easier to catch than one cow. Certainly not practical in commercial situations anyway, so I suppose I can't look forward to buying half a kilo of spiders at my local butcher any time in the near future. Crickets, mealworms, earwigs and many others on the other hand, would be cheaper to produce than traditional animals, weight for weight, and would be super cool to be able to buy from the supermarket to put in your stir fry :D

and surely this would use up as much protein if not more, to dig them up than it would make up eating them?

I'm quite sure they'd manage a net energy gain. Along the same lines, have you watched insectivorous birds? They fly around for ages chasing a tiny little insect, obviously evolution has favoured such behaviour and so it gives a net energy gain, but it's hard to imagine when you look at the size of the meal after the chase necessary to get it.

Sdaji said:
I suppose it depends upon the size of the spiders and the piece of steak.
Think it's safe to say spiders make up a very small weight compared to a piece of steak. That again depends on what part of the spider you consider edible.

If it's true that spiders are more than three times higher in protein than beef, it follows that you'd need less than on third the mass of spider to get the same amount of protein. You'd have to eat more spiders than cows, but each spider is easier to catch than one cow.
yes, but surely one cow is equal to many thousands of spiders in mass.

Certainly not practical in commercial situations anyway, so I suppose I can't look forward to buying half a kilo of spiders at my local butcher any time in the near future.
no, well, not if I have anything to do with it. If you are talking tarantulas,like the angry one in my avatar, most species take many years to meet maturity, and it would be devastating on their ecosystem to be poaching them for food. Spiders on hormones maybe? :lol: :lol: The next chicken. :lol:

Crickets, mealworms, earwigs and many others on the other hand, would be cheaper to produce than traditional animals, weight for weight, and would be super cool to be able to buy from the supermarket to put in your stir fry :D
mmmm....crickets.

I'm quite sure they'd manage a net energy gain. Along the same lines, have you watched insectivorous birds? They fly around for ages chasing a tiny little insect, obviously evolution has favoured such behaviour and so it gives a net energy gain, but it's hard to imagine when you look at the size of the meal after the chase necessary to get it.

We are not birds.

:D

Sdaji said:
Spiders are yummy

An email I received sometime ago said that over their lifetime the average person eats a total 8 spiders while asleep.

Nome said:
I have seen footage of natives of a certain country searching for tarantulas to eat...
Sdaji also said:
I suppose it depends upon the size of the spiders ...

The Goliath Bird-eater, Theraphosa blondii, when fully grown is the size of a dinner plate - coincidence?

:p

Hix

Hix said:
Sdaji said:
Spiders are yummy

An email I received sometime ago said that over their lifetime the average person eats a total 8 spiders while asleep.

:lol: :lol: Funny you mentioned that Hix, I was going to mention the same thing :shock: I didn't know what the numbers were though :wink: I would think the number would be slightly higher if you lived in Queensland though :wink:

Best if you kept away from this link I think Nome :wink:

http://www.ijmt.net/4_5/4_5_40.html

Hix said:

I wonder how they worked that one out? :D I'd believe cockroaches *shudders* or flies, but it is strange to think a spider would actually crawl in someone's mouth whilst they were asleep and then crawl down their throat :lol:

:lol: :lol: Funny you mentioned that Hix, I was going to mention the same thing :shock: I didn't know what the numbers were though :wink: I would think the number would be slightly higher if you lived in Queensland though :wink:

Best if you kept away from this link I think Nome :wink:

Were they actually battered tarantulas?!?!?!? Wow, I had no idea they would ever go to the trouble of blowtorching them to remove the urticating hairs and then batter and deep fry them?

It doesn't upset me, it is a fact of life in some countries, the same as we eat cows or pigs. Last night the whole thing seemed funny to me though, but I think that was because I was under the influence of a certain wild turkey. I'm surprised my posts even made sense...oh, hang on - they didn't.
:)

Nome said:
We are not birds.

Wow, I wonder where that revelation came from! :lol:

I think hes some bloke ate a tarantula but im not sure, cept hes a great bloke! :lol:

Inny,

He is a great bloke!

You shoulda seen the size of his.....salty!

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back