Sadam's Hanging....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Capital Punishment

I used to agree with capital punishment.

I had my grandfather murdered by a male cousin back in 1989 in Deer Park Victoria. My granmother died as a result of her injuries a couple of years later.

I used to believe in an eye for an eye but have since differed from my train of thought.

I used to believe in the death penalty. I have since changed my mind.

well maybe we should see other peoples opinons about the death penalty

Media

Why would that give someone a more valid opinion, whats the connection between a murder and a hanging execution for someone guilty of genocide?

I am not condoning anything Saddam did. Or should I say we have been told Saddam did via the media. The Iraqi justice system has finished their trial and have acted according to Iraqi law.

We do not have the death penalty here and there for you can't say whether it's right or wrong. My comment was in reference to people who believe that he copped what he deserved.

The only people who can really comment are the people who allegedly suffered at the height of his reign.

Opinions

well maybe we should see other peoples opinons about the death penalty

Maybe you should. I'm not saying mine is right. Mine is just that MY OPINION. Unless you have ahd a family member murdered or someone close murdered you don't fully understand.

the death penalty is the most stupid, irresponsible, outdated form of punishment possibly imaginable (barring maybe torture)

it gives a quick and often painless death to someone who might have made either a simple mistake in their life or in saddams case spent an entire adulthood corrupting and destroying a country and its people. we have just given him a quick way out. a couple years locked up and then a minute or less of pain ended it!

not only does death release the criminal from spending the rest of their life going over what they have done and 'rotting in jail' as would be the best way to describe what happens to then psucholigically at least, but it puts all the burden and harship on the family and friends who may well be innocent. it is always the family who have to deal with having a loved one KILLED and dissapear. in prison atleast the family (especially if kids are involved) hav some sort of connection and dont have to deal with the huge trauma of actually having someone die as opposed to being locked up for their actions.

and the worst thing to come out of this if that wasnt enough, saddam, like so many 'evil dictators' before him, has now been emortalised as a hero to some because he has died defending to the end the horrendous crimes against humanity that he committed. he was not crippled of all of his power, he has stood for what he believed in and that legacy will now live on!

and in a smaller scale this is true with all people who are executed

just my 2 cents

oh haha, dymback, perfect timing :)

i must say slim6y you have put up a great thread hear and i think you can understand where i am comming from after meetins me the other day.....

nice work mate...

Maybe you should. I'm not saying mine is right. Mine is just that MY OPINION. Unless you have ahd a family member murdered or someone close murdered you don't fully understand.

not to say that i know the emotional trauma of having a person close to me murdered, which i havnt, and i know what you mean because i have had several close people die and it is something that cant be described but i think oppinions on the death penalty etc can still be formulated on morals and outcomes rather than just the emotional side of it.

i must say slim6y you have put up a great thread hear and i think you can understand where i am comming from after meetins me the other day.....

nice work mate...

ditto!

its definintely a topic worthy of discussion!!!

yes TOMatoPASTE this is verry close to heart being in the defence force..... i think it is verry worth discussion

imo it is way out dated and legal system needs to change as no one deserves to die

what no-one deserves to die for performing genacide on thousands?

im out, going to abuse someone too much if i continue on this thread with my being in the defence force and all

no the people he killed didnt him on the other hand good riddins no offence

I have seen the Saddam video, but I dont think it is anything like the beheading of Nick Berg. BTW don't watch that one if you have a weak stomach

Jand_C - say something constructive - or dont say it at all

I will say whatever I like (this is the chit chat section). If I want to say I have a belly button so be it. Just because you are a puppet under Johnny Howards strings does not mean we ALL need to hold the same views on the subject as yourself & there is no need to arc up when somebodys opinion differs or when they post off topic.

As for constructive discussion in a thread about mass destruction & war? Is it even possible?
Ok here is my attempt at adding something constructive to the discussion.
Next election Vote Pauline Hanson let her be your puppet master, hopefully she will get rid of any middle eastern descendants from Australia, then we dont have to fear terroist attacks etc on our land. Clean your own backyard before you worry about whats in Iraqs. It isn't much of a war imo anyway, if it was we would be taking those Iraqi's that are here as POW's (cant wait for WW3 & hope Pauline is in charge then lol)

Last edited:
JandC I think coatesy said CONstructive not DEstructive.

:D
IsK

Being a member of the ADF personally i am scared of the possibility of some of our closet neighbours invading as they did in previous times as it would leave Australia in the position of seriously need of the alies that we are backing up in the current wars.

Coatesy when were we invaded in previous times?

If Indonesia could attack us why havent they already?

Read this recruitment drive.
http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/default.asp?initMedia=1&media=flash&bounceBack=/default.asp&p=533
People dont want to join so they have to convince them its in their best interests too. Less and less percentage wise want to join. Lifestyle choice. throughout my life the armed forces has continuosly had big recruitment drives. Added with the increase in personal, most armies tend to get bigger not smaller when they are being used.

Shamous1 if you are correct about small arms trading the Australian people should be told more. You should tell us more. Why cant you? You work for the Australian people dont you? To sell our buybak guns to other Countries was not told to the Australian people and is another item to add to the list of JHowards lies.

As for your answer "Because he can" in regards to bush selling arms and parts again to Indo(after not selling them as of timor), your saying he will sell arms and parts for their F-16 Fighting Falcons and A-4 Skyhawks (most which were grounded as of no parts) because he can make money(millions).........that......."your saying" these weapons and planes will be used in a future war with Australia that the US will have to spend Billions on helping to defend us.
Does not make economic sense.
To add if Bush is crazy enough to do that.....perhaps he is crazy enough not to assist us in times of need. Your puting your faith in with a mad man?

Earthling, maybe you should check out the stats a little better, just because they are recruiting dosn't mean that people are joining.
I have a mate that has recently discharged from the army and the stats are as of last year.
80 people a month are leaving and 7 people a month join up.
Again, you do the math.
ANd here is a quote from your link

Indonesian Air Force (TNI AU)
Indonesia has used 37 A-4E/TA-4E Skyhawk II by ex Israeli Air Force until 2003. In 2003 replaced by 2 Russian Su-27 SK and 2 Su-30 MK. * The Indonesian Air Force is planning to reactivate the A-4 Skyhawks by buying spare parts, after the U.S ended weapon and spare part sales embargo

Does it not say ex Israeli? and you will find that the manufacturers of the aircraft make the money on sales of spare parts, not the US government.

The point you are missing Earthling is that Indonesia could attack us, just because they havn't dosn't mean they wont.

As stated earlier that the indonesian fisherman get to within a kilometre of our coast near Broome on there dodgy fishing boats.

Last edited:
WOW... Ok.... I go to sleep for a couple of hours and here we go - I like that a lot of people have very strong opinions here - and it's great that people stand by them. I myself have learnt a fair whack from this thread.

I recall in the 1980 with the David Lange government (Labour) in NZ and the removal of the ANZUS treaty. This was one of the biggest moments in the history of NZ - litterally becoming an independant so that the big bullies like the US could no longer boss the little guys around. Oh, NZ paid for it with loss of exports, loss of friendships and most of all, NZs closest neighbour and allie, Australia snobbed her big nose at NZ.

Australia was the one devestated by the loss of the treaty, not NZ. And that was because of these close nations to Australia that have the ability to threaten.

NZ said NO to the nuclear powered or nuclear capable warships and declared the country the very first nuclear free country in the world.

NZs army and defence force is small. A navy consisting of Aussie made frigates, an air force consisting of training fighter jets and a 757. And a ground force that is highly capable, but rather small. Hence why only 60 odd SAS troopers were sent to Iraq.

NZs forces are just there to serve as peace keepers.

But why spend millions on defence if you're undefendable?

I believe one political party (not a serious one) said in the event of an imminent invasion we will line our beaches, our shoreline and coastal areas... Not with military, but with our finest beers, wines and spirits. We will party on the beaches and when they arrive, we will offer them our finest brews. No one would attack us then... they'll all be too drunk.

Unfortunately Australia can't share that optimism - what with not having any good beers (haha, just kidding).

So in summary - i understand why Aussie needs/wants the US. But with many western allies, Australia is likely to be well protected - or at least won't go down without a big fight.

As far as Sadam's hanging goes - I have never agreed what he did was remotely correct. He was fanatical. It's dangerous for the minorities (or in this case majorities) when someone like this gets in power. It's great to see a democracy begin to form in a country that has never really had freedom. But with this freedom comes responsibility. And I worry that there isn't that responsibility in the country (Iraq).

And the huge division makes them a weak country with the ever increasing chances of a coup (perhaps not as obvious as what goes on in Fiji, but still possible).

I worry that similar circumstances to Afghanistan will occur. Where the US removed one government and elected the Talibhan so as to stop the advancing Russians. They armed the Talibhan and gave them power. With that power came responsibility and eventually they bit the hand that fed them... A crocodile mentality.

I just hope this doesn't happen again.

I remember in the early 90s after Desert Storm I asked a friend why they just don't assassinate Sadam... his reply was, it's better the devil you know than the one you don't.

Well, now he's gone, and since 9/11 this world really has become a different place. But too me, it hasn't improved, just got more scared!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back