Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SnakeWrangler said:
Yeah alright smarty pants... :lol:

I am not annoyed that I got the answer wrong, I can live with that, I can't imagine I have much of a shot at winning the comp anyway, but it is fun so I will stay in it. I just thought the book should have all the bases covered, I understand that colour is variable within snakes but there is nothing in the description that even lends to the idea of no banding whatsoever.

Thanks slateman.

You're right i have never seen any pics on the net or otherwise of a brown tree snake in that sort of colour, but i have caught them. There was really only three options that it could have been for me, slatey grey, keelback and BTS. ANd the colour and scale size didn't match what i have seen of slatey grey's and all of the keelbacks i've seen have been more orange, but yeah it was still a guess form those three.

SnakeWrangler said:
Yeah alright smarty pants... :lol:

I am not annoyed that I got the answer wrong, I can live with that, I can't imagine I have much of a shot at winning the comp anyway, but it is fun so I will stay in it. I just thought the book should have all the bases covered, I understand that colour is variable within snakes but there is nothing in the description that even lends to the idea of no banding whatsoever.

Thanks slateman.

Mate lighten up bit.
This comp should be fun and it is GUESSING comp. Lot of questions will be won just by luck of the guess not by knowledge. Some of them will be won by knowledge.
All you can do is to have a go and hope for bit of the luck.
Just have a fun. Many experianced herpers had this one wrong. Many real experts will have the next one wrong.
I just noticed that some people who guessed right answer show off little bit and play experts in the field. One of them said that boiga do have more scales than pythons and that how he find out. All this is not important, This comp is a game.
Just have a go and enjoy. 3 of you will be lucky after all.

Yes I agree, I think it shows how different people maybe look at a photo and how they interpret what they see. I looked at it and thought oh right it''s a BTS and it couldn't be anything else. The last photo I thought was a Boelens python because I was over thinking it and making it more complictaed than it actually was.
It is fun though. :)

Slateman said:
Mate lighten up bit.
This comp should be fun and it is GUESSING comp. Lot of questions will be won just by luck of the guess not by knowledge. Some of them will be won by knowledge.
All you can do is to have a go and hope for bit of the luck.
Just have a fun. Many experianced herpers had this one wrong. Many real experts will have the next one wrong.
I just noticed that some people who guessed right answer show off little bit and play experts in the field. One of them said that boiga do have more scales than pythons and that how he find out. All this is not important, This comp is a game.
Just have a go and enjoy. 3 of you will be lucky after all.
I think you got the wrong end of the stick slateman, I wasn't complaining about getting it wrong, I am annoyed that the so called complete guide isn't really so complete, if you notice in the post you quoted you will see that I said the comp was just fun so I will 'compete' in it even though I have no real chance of winning. ;)

The 'smarty pants' comment was directed at those who posted before you and was a joke, I wasn't having a go at anyone. :)

One of them said that boiga do have more scales than pythons and that how he find out
too many scales to be a python
lol, I ment it the other way around :oops: and I'm not trying to show off I would have no idea if I didn't have coggers bible sitting infront of me :)

jordo said:
One of them said that boiga do have more scales than pythons and that how he find out
too many scales to be a python
lol, I ment it the other way around :oops: and I'm not trying to show off I would have no idea if I didn't have coggers bible sitting infront of me :)

LOL Jordo Not many people noticed anyway.

This is the answer to guess n 6.

This was the hardest we have so far. From 117 answers, we have only16 right ones.

Reason for this is that to specifie Specie from the phto was inpossible. In this case you all was forced to have a go blind.
Nearly all people had gene right as Pogona but there is few pagona specie with same legs unfortunatelly. This one was Pogona Barbata as you see full picture taken in Zoo.

Right answers n. 6 guess.

waruikazi 1
Crocboy 1
dann 1
Chewy 1
snakes4me2 1
Rupes 1
Southy 1
jimbo 1
snakehunter 1
narkeg 1
Simple 1
MrBredli 1
Mangles 1
Sdaji 1
Boxing_pelican 1

I can't believe that, I was going between henrylawsoni and barbata and went the former :)

Total score so far after 6th guess

Nome 4
Malley 4
OzGecko 4
SNKMST 3
SnakeWrangler 3
jordo 4
cris 1
steve6610 4
cam 3
larks 3
JandC_Reptiles 4
readysell 6
NathanBrisvegas 1
TX-III 2
Nagraj 5
Simple 2
Kaotic 1
Reptilia 3
soulweaver 1
Corgan 5
beardyben 2
hornet 2
hugsta 1
MrSpike 2
Lost_in_the_jungle 4
richardsc 1
Snow1369 2
fishbot 3
ether 5
SLACkra 2
wil 1
boconnor 4
Waruikazi 5
robbo 2
Bob2 1
Boxing_pelican 5
Jumala 3
freddy 3
MattQld83 1
Tyrone 3
njmpm 4
snakehunter 6
Thor1 2
tan 5
Southy 4
PeterJohnson64 3
Crocboy 5
jimbo 4
JasonL 4
narkeg 6
Mangles 4
JAKHAMMA 2
Elfling 1
Junglemad 3
ricko 1
Rupes 2
Dann 4
boa 4
Rossagon 4
johnbowemonie 4
Hix 3
jjgirl76 5
Erin 3
the_brad 1
munkee 1
Random 1
Robyn Cox 1
raist 4
snakes4me2 3
Glimmerman 2
Kyro 3
pike1 3
Rennie 3
junglepython2 2
GARTHFAY 3
Earthling 1
Ramy 2
Congo 1
nsavage 3
Tofelofogus 1
Sdaji 4
Wrasse 2
MrBredli 3
Frazer 1
Chewy 3
krusty 2
Spongebob 1
Hobbo1972 1
Buck 1
AGAMIDAE 1
bert 1

In case I make a mistake above please PM me to fix the problem.
Slateman

Guess n.7

Please e-mail me Common name for attached animal below.

e-mail answers to [email protected]
Please sate your APS user name
one answer for member is allowed if somebody answer 2 different answers, none will be taken.
Don't post your guesses to forums please.

Please answer by Tuesday midnight 05.9.2006

This is the answer to guess n 7.
Yellow-footed Tortoise Geochelone denticulata. The Yellow Footed Tortoise, the largest species in the Testudinidae family that inhabits the Amazon jungle
Upon initial sighting, a Red-foot tortoise, Geochelone carbonaria, looks very similar to the closely related Yellow-foot tortoise, G. denticulata, with the primary distinction being the presence of yellow scales on the forelegs of the Yellow-foot and red scales on the forelegs of the Red-foot (thus the common names for each). However, of all of the differences between these two species, this is actually the most variable. While Red-foots may be more intensely colored, this is not a universal distinction; there are Yellow-foots that are very brightly patterned and comparatively drab Red-foots. While there are numerous morphometric differences between these two species, by far the easiest method of telling Red-foots and Yellow-foots apart is the differences in the scalation of their heads. Yellow-foots have elongated prefrontal scales and a fragmented frontal scale. Red-foots have shortened prefrontals and an intact frontal scale. The prefrontal and frontal scales are the scales at the tip of the nose. In addition to this obvious difference, female Red-foot tortoises are more elongated, looking much like a loaf of bread while older male Red-foots tend to develop an hourglass shape. Adult Yellow-foots of both sexes tend to be wider/ rounder and somewhat flatter in their overall shape.

Right answers for Guess n. 7.

Boa 1
jordo 1
Waruikazi 1
Chewy 1
lost_in_the_jungle 1
jimbo 1
raist 1
NOME 1
snakes4me2 1
AGAMIDAE 1
dann 1
tan 1
robbo 1
Nagraj 1
MrBredli 1
Crocboy 1
ether 1
MrSpikes 1
Erin 1
narkeg 1
OzGecko 1
freddy 1
Junglepython2 1
snakehunter 1
Reptilia 1
Mangles 1
rupes 1
Wrasse 1
Sdaji 1
southy 1
jjgirl76 1
Readysell 1
Boxing_pelican 1
nsavage 1

Total score so far after 7th guess

Nome 5
Malley 4
OzGecko 6
SNKMST 3
SnakeWrangler 4
jordo 5
cris 1
steve6610 5
cam 4
larks 3
JandC_Reptiles 5
readysell 7
NathanBrisvegas 1
TX-III 2
Nagraj 7
Simple 2
Kaotic 1
Reptilia 4
soulweaver 1
Corgan 6
beardyben 2
hornet 2
hugsta 2
MrSpike 3
Lost_in_the_jungle 6
richardsc 1
Snow1369 2
fishbot 4
ether 7
SLACkra 2
wil 1
boconnor 5
Waruikazi 6
robbo 3
Bob2 1
Boxing_pelican 6
Jumala 4
freddy 5
MattQld83 1
Tyrone 4
njmpm 4
snakehunter 7
Thor1 3
tan 7
Southy 5
PeterJohnson64 3
Crocboy 6
jimbo 5
JasonL 4
narkeg 7
Mangles 5
JAKHAMMA 2
Elfling 1
Junglemad 3
ricko 1
Rupes 3
Dann 5
boa 5
Rossagon 5
johnbowemonie 5
Hix 4
jjgirl76 7
Erin 6
the_brad 1
munkee 1
Random 1
Robyn Cox 1
raist 6
snakes4me2 4
Glimmerman 2
Kyro 3
pike1 5
Rennie 4
junglepython2 4
GARTHFAY 4
Earthling 1
Ramy 2
Congo 1
nsavage 5
Tofelofogus 1
Sdaji 5
Wrasse 3
MrBredli 4
Frazer 1
Chewy 4
krusty 2
Spongebob 1
Hobbo1972 1
Buck 1
AGAMIDAE 3
bert 1

Thank you for not complaining to much. All fixed now and people who answered vitticeps are in this count included.

Guess n.8

Please e-mail me what animal do you think this is?

it is this eye of a Python, lizard, elapid, crocodile, bird, alligator, colubrid, other specie of snake not named here or frog?

Please pick one answer from above listed.

e-mail answers to [email protected][/size] Please sate your APS user name
one answer for member is allowed if somebody answer 2 different answers, none will be taken.
Don't post your guesses to forums please.

Please answer by Tuesday midnight 13.9.2006

it is this eye of a Python, lizard, elapid, crocodile, bird, alligator, colubrid, other specie of snake not named here or frog?

so are do we just pick on of the above listed? not the most specific instructions.

It's not supposed to be specific instructions, you are just supposed to identify the animal.

so what species name, common name or one of the above listed "python, lizard, elapid, croc, bird, alligator, colubrid"

I would just name the animal, there was no specific request for common or Latin name. If you think it's a Coastal just say coastal I reckon.

SLACkra said:

so are do we just pick on of the above listed? not the most specific instructions.

Yes please pick one from the above listed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back