Taking wild caught animals Part 54 (split from other topic)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking wild caught animals Part 54(split from other post)

:D Your right slatey. :D Ime goin ta contract womas4me and pilbara for a mission,should they accept it.To go to cape york and bing me back heaps, and heaps and heaps of green tree pythons.They will be supplied free of charge as per (enterprise bargaining agreement 27.1.05) with cyanide capsules if capture by the QNPWS is iminenent. :p :p

Teamsherman, what are your veiws on the reptiles in the wild that are going to die possably become extinct due to cane toads, cats, foxes and introduced disease? are they worth collecting and keeping in captivity?

Secondly, do you realy think a snake or lizard knows the difference between the wild and captivity? do you think they feel emotion? do you think they enjoy strolls in the long grass? If i was a snake i would prefer perfect weather and temps, perfect food supply and not one single predator out to eat me. But you know what, if i was a snake I probably wouldnt have the mental capacity to even comprehend what I just said. Am i making my point? You might like to think snakes enjoy life better in the wild, but the fact is that almost all research and common scence says that they wouldnt know the difference if they wanted to. You are implying that a snake or lizard can think and feel the way we do, well they cant, they cant think much at all actually, they dont even recognise they exist as an individual, infact most animals dont.
As far as most modern science is conserned a snake sees its box as a safe warm secure place with a good food supply, it is exactly what that snake would be seeking if it were in the wild anyway.
Your views are not based on science and animal husbandry, they are based on emotional opinion, assuming a snake interacts with its environment the way a human does.
You might like to see snakes in the wild, but that does not have the snakes interest at heart either, it just makes you feel good. All captive animals come from the wild if not bred distantly from wild stock. So you if you have some crusade against collecting dont keep the captive bred animals collectors worked so hard to breed for you in the first place.

As metioned by others I dont agree with wild collecting in most instances for immediate sale in massive unsustanable numbers, but that just doesnt happen anyway. Many more animals are killed on the road and by ferral animals in a day that are totally lost.
I have gone spotting along a road and seen half a dozen adders or so and when returning 20 minutes later 4 dead adders that werent there before. If i had collected them when i went past nothing would have been lost.

RE: Taking wild caught animals Part 54(split from other post

Oldfella
QNPWS already think that I have been up the cape stealing green pythons. I know this for fact as I pulled the freedom of information on them and it was amazing what they released. It seems I was catching green pythons while living in W.A and my girl friend was smuggling snakes out of W.A while still living in Innisfail. Where they get this crap from is beyond me.

RE: Taking wild caught animals Part 54(split from other post

I'll have a green one. HANGON!!! I'm joking, im going now its ok, see ya

Another good example of this is the western swamp turtle. This is the worlds rarest turtle & in the late eighties was down to about 30 animals left in the wildjust north of perth. Some were then taken from the wild and a breeding program was started at the Perth Zoo. This animal has done well since in captivity and the zoo has a healthy number of these turtles and many have been returned back to the wild.

Hix said:
Slateman said:
Best example of it would be saving California condors by catching them all to preserve the specie.
Americans did excelent job and I hope they will have succes.

I've actually seen the Californian Condor facility at the San Diego Wild Animal where, at one time, they had half the world population of Cal. Condors. There was less than 30 when they were all removed from the wild, but their numbers have increased significantly since then (currently a world total of almost 250) and more than 100 have been released into the wild, where they have started breeding again.

:p

Hix
That sounds like it would be a great place to visit ! How many zoos have you been to Now Hix ?

Off the top of my head, 19 zoos and fauna parks in Australia, 4 in New Zealand, 21 in Europe, 22 in the USA/Canada, and one each in Belize, Zimbabwe and Guam. (Some of them were disgusting little menageries that needed to be closed down, but I've included them because I visited them). I may have forgotten one or two. I haven't included National Parks or wild areas (like Hwange in Zimbabwe and the Cockscomb in Belize).

:p

Hix

Seeing as the original Discussion was locked, I will just say, that I don't agree with Black, white, or brindle being able to take any Reptiles from the Wild. and being able to make a profit from it! And I don't want to get into any discussion about colour of our skin or how long we have been here in Australia either! End of Discussion. xxx Chezza

Is collecting the issue or the money made from it. Most people IMO are more at odds with he supposed ' profit ' than the actual collection of the animal.

Not taking any sides in this. Just a point.
There is some confusion between taking animals from the wild into a breeding program to stop the extinction of a species and the taking for the pet trade. Dont try and justify it as anything other than the latter. Everyone on this list is involved in the pet trade in some form or another. Dont pretend it is anything else. Some of us may have other aspects to it but they all point back to the keeping of reptiles as pets in the end.
As to "not being able to teach an idiot". I disagree but idiots do make poor teachers.

Quote:[ As mentioned by others i dont agree with wild collecting in most instances for immediate sale in massive unsustanable numbers, but that just doesnt happen anyway. Many more animals are killed on the road and by ferral animals in a day that are totally lost.
I have gone spotting along a road and seen half a dozen adders or so and
when returning 20 minutes later 4 dead adders that werent there before]

"I have seen the repeat of this time and time again:QLD, NT, WA, and totally agree with the above statement, the impact by collecting is bugger- all to the amount thats killed each day by cars, trucks........As 'Peterscue', mentioned its for the pet trade (Our benefit) in one way or another.....Its not that stimpsons, blackheads womas bluetounges are rare and need saving, however theres alot thats killed each day that would be better collected to kick there numbers of in the pet trade, and later when theres deemed enough, fair enough........I've seen the Geckos that Pilbara Pythons posted on; over there, and when you dont see anything else out, their dead everywhere.......common so why not allow numbers to be collected? I do believe those that are collecting for the 'pet trade', in W.A are trying to offer good quality stock, if they werent they wouldnt last long............word gets around."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back