Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they are. Using your reasoning no Morelia spp would be endemic to Australia or any part there off either, as the genus occurs outside of Australia

Yes they are. Using your reasoning no Morelia spp would be endemic to Australia or any part there off either, as the genus occurs outside of Australia

really? i didnt know that there were morelia spilota spilota, or cheynei or mcdowelli or imbricata elsewhere, or morelia carinata or oenpellis. these are all morelia subspecies that only occur in australia. the only two i can think of that occur outside australia are spilota variegata and viridis.

By my reasoning and the reasoning of the definition of endemic, no Morelia spilota are not endemic to Australia.

really? i didnt know that there were morelia spilota spilota, or cheynei or mcdowelli or imbricata elsewhere, or morelia carinata or oenpellis. these are all morelia subspecies that only occur in australia. the only two i can think of that occur outside australia are spilota variegata and viridis.

There's heaps of morelia outside of Australia, boeleni, amethystine, viridis, clastolepis, nauta, tracyae...

Just before anyone else jumps on it i will make the comment that there are no subspecies of morelia, because morelia is a genus not a species. There are subspecies of Morelia spilota that occur both in and outside of Australia naturally.

Are the Western and Eastern grey kangaroo's and the Red kangaroo not endemic to Australia then?

Are the Western and Eastern grey kangaroo's and the Red kangaroo not endemic to Australia then?

Well now you've gone and moved the goal posts!

But to humour you and put a bee right up your bonnet i will respond, by my understanding of the definition of endemic and say no red and grey kangaroos are not endemic to Australia! Because they only occur in parts of Australia, not all of Australia!

But to humour you and put a bee right up your bonnet i will respond, by my understanding of the definition of endemic and say no red and grey kangaroos are not endemic to Australia! Because they only occur in parts of Australia, not all of Australia!

Those species are endemic to Australia as far as I understand.

I guess you could say I moved the goal post, but when I originally posted I thought most would understand these were the kangaroo's I was talking about.
As for your argument, A martian would be able to say there endemic to planet earth and they would be correct. It depends on the context the word is used in.

I guess you could say I moved the goal post, but when I originally posted I thought most would understand these were the kangaroo's I was talking about.
As for your argument, A martian would be able to say there endemic to planet earth and they would be correct. It depends on the context the word is used in.

HAHAHAHA No they couldn't!

Those species are endemic to Australia as far as I understand.

I think i might move my goal posts on the red kangaroo. I looked at their range and it pretty well covers all of Australia so i guess you could say endemic to Australia. This game is so much more fun than pictionary!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a trivial dispute! lol!!

See i would say native to Australia because they only occur in specific regions, not endemic.

Ha, indeed we do!

I understand your logic, and am unsure as to what context exactly the word can be used in. This is what I think anyway..

If those species of Kangaroo only occurred in a small and specific area of Australia, then I would say that they are endemic to that area (they would still be endemic to Australia though by definition I think?) However, as they are prevalent in many areas of Australia, but are found no where outside of Australia, I would definitely say that they are endemic to Australia.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a trivial dispute! lol!!

See i would say native to Australia because they only occur in specific regions, not endemic.

They dont have to be found everywhere in an area to be considered endemic as far as Im aware.

I agree. Having looked at the range of eastern and western roos and red roos i think endemic could be used to describe reds but not the two greys (unless they are the same species, just diff populations or whatever) because there is a significantly large area of Australia that the two don't occur in.

Ha, indeed we do!

I understand your logic, and am unsure as to what context exactly the word can be used in. This is what I think anyway..

If those species of Kangaroo only occurred in a small and specific area of Australia, then I would say that they are endemic to that area (they would still be endemic to Australia though by definition I think?) However, as they are prevalent in many areas of Australia, but are found no where outside of Australia, I would definitely say that they are endemic to Australia.

I'm glad I've only started World War III....

Ok...

The roos are definitely NATIVES regardless of the fact they occur in other countries (for the roos that occur in other countries) - that's a given!

But the Northern Bettong is ENDEMIC to FNQ....

I'm glad I've only started World War III....

Ok...

The roos are definitely NATIVES regardless of the fact they occur in other countries (for the roos that occur in other countries) - that's a given!

But the Northern Bettong is ENDEMIC to FNQ....

Aha! But is it Endemic to Queensland???

I agree. Having looked at the range of eastern and western roos and red roos i think endemic could be used to describe reds but not the two greys (unless they are the same species, just diff populations or whatever) because there is a significantly large area of Australia that the two don't occur in.

There may be a large area that Greys do not occur in. However, the definition of endemic states that it must occur only in a specific area. It does not state that the species must cover all of the area entirely, but it must not occur outside of that area.

If the area we are referring to is Australia, then they would be classified as endemic.

Disclaimer: I only think all of the above, but do not know..could certainly be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back