Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kn---90

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new on this forum,

I am looking for the different locality of different subspecies of spilota:
(I know the
geographical distribution)

-Cheynei (Jungle) : Palmerston (Atherton,Tully,Mission Beach, Mt Molloy, Julatten, Mossman, Daintree, Cape Tribulation, Cooktown, Cape York, Cardwell, Bilyana, Ingham...other?)
-Variegata(?) : Darwin
-Harissoni(?) : (You don't use this "name",it was the variegata Irian jaya)
-McDowelli (Costale ?):
-Spilota (Diamond ?):
-Metcalfei(?):
-Imbricata(?):

Thanks for yours help!
wink.png

And sorry for my fault...if you want to correct me, you can
smile.png

Harisoni is the PNG carpet renamed by hoser for herper David Harrison, imbricata is the southwestern carpet. Carinata is the rough scaled python

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Morelia Carinata, Rough Scaled Python, buy the book keeping and breeding Australian reptiles, you can get it from the herp shop online or just google it, it will tell you everything you need to know

(I know the

-Cheynei (Jungle) : Palmerston (Atherton,Tully,Mission Beach, Mt Molloy, Julatten, Mossman, Daintree, Cape Tribulation, Cooktown, Cape York, Cardwell, Bilyana, Ingham...other?)
-McDowelli (Costale ?):
-Spilota (Diamond ?):
-Metcalfei(?):
-Imbricata(?):

Thanks for yours help!
wink.png

smile.png

Bonjour, KN!

What info are you looking for, specifically?

Metcalfei is the Murray-Darling or Inland Carpet Python. Imbricata is the South West Carpet Python. Many authorities treat imbricata as a species in its own right now, particularly since it is reproductively isolated in Western Australian. Arguably, a population east of the Nullarbor plain also comes under imbricata rather than metcalfei.

Carinata, mentioned above, is not part of the spilota complex. In fact it is only distantly related to the carpet pythons. Its closest living relative is Morelia viridis.

Mcdowelli, the Coastal Carpet, is in a reproductive continuum with spilota spilota, spilota cheynei and spilota metcalfei. As you note, variegata is found in the Northern Territory. Some people claim that there is a break in carpet python distribution at a point around the Gulf of Carpentaria. This is would mean that variegata is isolated from the rest of the complex. Note, though, that carpets in very far north Queensland that are normally assigned to mcdowelli are especially varied in appearance and sometimes like more like variegata.

As you probably know, Morelia bredli is isolated in the heart of the country.

Last edited:
Subspecies names - cheynei,variegata,harrisoni,mcdowelli,spilota,metcalfei,imbricata - are always expressed in lower case :).

Jamie

I search the different natural mutation(only those that we can find in the nature, not the crossbreding) of she subspecies.
That is what I found about cheynei :

Jungle Carpet Pythons – Morelia spilota cheynei.

The jungle carpet is with out doubt, one of the most desirable species of carpet available to be kept by amateur hobbyists in Australia. With their striking colours and immensely variable patterns, the title, as the ultimate carpet python will remain theirs for a long time yet.

Here in Australia, we are lucky enough to have access to various locales of this popular python. The most well known and readily available is the Palmerston locale. Most of these specimens are of black and gold colouration. These animals are the foundations to most of the well-known and well-respected bloodlines of Jungles here in Australia. The Palmerston nametag originates back to animals, which in the early 1980’s, were collected from the surrounding areas of the now famous Palmerston Highway. This stretch of road starts from Innisfail, travelling through wet tropical rainforest and cleared farmlands up through Milla Milla, and continues further west towards Ravenshoe. There are various other locales that come under the Palmerston genre, including (but not limited to) South Johnstone, Milla Milla, Mena Creek, East Palmerston and Nerada Tea. These animals all vary in minor ways but most still share the general characteristics of Palmerston’s; solid black and deep gold colouration, rather aggressive temperaments, increased melanin tipping and a smaller stockier size.

Most well coloured animals being sold under the Palmerston name can be traced back to a few well-established bloodlines such as the Krauss, Aland and Montgomery lines.

Although the Cheynei sub species of carpets have a relatively small distribution, there is an intense variation in both colouration and patterns within animals from differing localities. I will give a brief, whilst comprehensive description of a few of the various wild occurring morphs.

Atherton Tablelands:
Animals from this area often attract a negative feeling amongst a lot of keepers. These animals are often regarded as being not a “true Jungle”, as there are a lot of somewhat drab or dull specimens from this area. I feel that these animals that consist of more plain colours including brown, bone, tan, cream and mustard are what most people refer to when speaking of this area form. Although not as common as some other localities, you still do find stunning specimens with velvet black and vibrant yellows and gold’s. Found on the outskirts of the actual town Atherton, these animals tend to inhabit the dense semi tropical rainforest and also some areas of Sclerophyll forest. The size of animals from the Atherton area is the main differing factor, with animals exceeding 2 meters commonly. We have measured some specimens that have exceeded 3 meters in total length, and approx 6 kg in weight.

Over all, pythons from this locale are often an enjoyable locale to keep in captivity due to their calm disposition.

Tully – Mission Beach:
This is a well-coloured locale of Cheynei that is rapidly becoming more popular with the amateur herp. Mission beach animals are very similar to specimens from the Palmerston area, though animals found from Cowley Beach to South Mission tend to show a bright, lemon yellow colouration rather then shades of gold’s. Well-banded specimens seem to be a lot more common within these locales then any other area where Jungles inhabit. Specimens found inland, from the township of Tully up to the Koombooloomba Dam area can vary a lot in size, colouration and pattern. These animals can show striped, banded and blotched patterns, and be anything from bright gold’s and jet blacks to dull tans and creams.

Mt Molloy, Julatten, Mossman, Daintree, Cape Tribulation:
These are quite possibly some of the most desired morph of Jungles in recent times due to the spectacular black and white colouration found on some standout animals, and the fact that they are relatively rare in captive collections. These animals are few and far between with most being grey rather then white and also often being of Tri – colouration, with shades of Orange, Grey and black. Standout animals as adults are rare, as most specimens often loose the crisp white, which fades to a dull grey when the animals reach adulthood.

This morph will become readily available as more keepers are now choosing to work with them in order to create more aesthetically pleasing Pythons. In the early days of herpetology, these animals were seldom kept in captivity due to their pugnacious attitudes and shy temperaments; Julatten animals in particular are extremely hard to get to voluntary feeding on rodents.

Cooktown - Cape York:
Animals found within the Bloomfield - Cooktown – Southern Cape York area, often cause some confusion as to what sub species of the Morelia spilota complex they come into. It is in my belief that specimens found in these areas should be classed under the Cheynei name tag as they tend to show more of the Tableland Jungle attributes. Good examples of these Jungles are truly outstanding looking animals. They show the typical Jungle black skull and cross bone head patterns and well-coloured animals can be of bright orange and white colouration with thick stripes and irregular blotches along the sides of the animals. This particular colour morph is mainly found around Cooktown and IS MY favourite colour form of Carpets.

Cardwell, Bilyana - Ingham:
These are the most southern forms of Jungles. Some of these animals tend to show characteristics of Coastal Carpets (Morelia spilota mcdowelli) in both colour/ pattern and size. I believe that some of these animals are the result of a natural intergrade between Cheynei and Mcdowelli, which becomes more apparent further south between Paluma and Townsville. Animals from these locales often show strong striping, sometimes having up to 5-6 lateral and dorsal stripes. Colourations of these pythons are not as spectacular as the northern specimens, as they tend to show varying shades of dull mustard yellows and browns. Size is also a distinguishing factor that separates these animals from the smaller northern area forms, with individuals averaging 6-7 feet in size as adults."

My appologies, I don't remember me where this extract from.

(I know the

-McDowelli (Costale ?):
-Spilota (Diamond ?):
-Metcalfei(?):
-Imbricata(?):

Thanks for yours help!
wink.png

smile.png

The Complete Carpet Python : Dr Justin Julander and Nick Mutton

Great little reference guide

Yes, as above. The paper looks like it may be Raymond Hoser's work, from the poor English & syntax, but I'm sure kn---90, that your English is very good and the book Red-Ink has recommended will be a great reference for you in your quest for more information about Carpet Pythons :).

Jamie

Yes, as above. The paper looks like it may be Raymond Hoser's work, from the poor English & syntax, but I'm sure kn---90, that your English is very good and the book Red-Ink has recommended will be a great reference for you in your quest for more information about Carpet Pythons :).

Jamie

Could be wrong, but that doesn't read like Hoser to me. If it was him I'd have expected him to be banging the Wellsian drum and claiming that cheynei should be a full species!

- - - Updated - - -

This website suggests it was written by a guy called Nick Stock from Queensland:

phase morelia spilota - Page 2 (in French)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back