Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No such thing as a jungle coastal intergradde Dicco?....not sure if the rolling eyes are a joke or you're actually saying there's no such thing for real?

just call it a cross mate ;) , it makes it a lot easier, the word intergrade used out of context all too often.

re What

Dicco said:
A hybrid is simply a cross between two different things, whether in the wild or in a wooden box, intergarde simply means to change gradually or come together, the name was given to the form of carpet that is inbetween Coastals and Dimonds becasue it was similar to both, infact they got the name intergrades in Pythons of The World by the Barkers if I'm correct, it isn't an official term, I think it's a lot easier if we call them Port Mac Pythons, it saves a lot of confusion.
Allot this isnt exactly the case dic it comes from various young people putting there spin on things,they were called intergrades in worrell 63 to 70 and that was the foremost publication on australian reptiles until it was replaced by coggers.Like you see things as you do dicco cause you werent born yet either was sadji and thats why you think like that which is wrong because your ignoring history.The areas where they really appear to have mixed patterns and colours is west of kempsey north and south.They look pretty much like diamonds coastaly even at port macquarie excpt they appear rather drab,most of the ones ive seen that looked intermediate in color between carpet and diamond were west from barrington area north to dorrigo area.Very little has changed through the years except Wells and Wellington named some people thought were different anyway,worrell has a photo of inland carpet (metcafei)and atherton tablands carpet which he says grows to about 6ft etc.He was the main guy in respect to herps back then on the back of his showmanship,writing and research capacities and he was not formally qualified,john weigal married robyn worrell i believe. Yeh there was wold wars and all soughts nof things years ago diccy :lol:

i'm with you browns, it's an jungle intergrade, i'll have 6 thanks.....

they would go well with my diamond/coastal intergrade

cheers,
steve........

just call it a cross mate , it makes it a lot easier, the word
intergrade used out of context all too often.

thats like saying to call a woma, a bhp, makes no sence at all,
anybody can have a cross, but how many can say they have
a intergrade, i hear all the time people wanting pure location
breed snakes and when somebody says the word intergrade
people like you jump on them, why should i call my snake
something that it isn't just so i don't confuse you, makes no
sence at all, :evil: :wink: :p

cheers,
steve.......

Sorry Dicco but it's calling it a cross not an intergrade which is what confuses people.I'm sure you're aware there intergades of other sub species.The huge difference is and should be noted, is that an intergrade is a naturally occuring cross of 2 subspecies in the wild with no human intereference whereas crosses as you call them aren't natural....It's not that confusing really one's naturally occuring and the other isn't.No such thing as a jungle diamond intergrade,now that would be confusing :roll:

Still stick with cheynei mcdoelei intergrade...

Dicco,- Zulu is correct as they were called intergrades in oz many many years before Barkers book or Barker was ever heard of.

Intergrade/grate refers to a region colour variation/patterning. It should only be attached to wild populations or source/location known animals in captvity. Anything else is a cross breed

you will see a lot of pythons around Kempsey, Macksville and Coffs Harbour in northern NSW that aren't in any book

Just reading over and Dicco is basically correct. While the word intergrade may have been in usage it was not used haphazardly as it is today. The Barkers put it into print and will therefore be acknowledged hence for has having used it as such whether they coined the term or not.

Dicco wrote: ?A hybrid is simply a cross between two different things, whether in the wild or in a wooden box, intergarde simply means to change gradually or come together, the name was given to the form of carpet that is inbetween Coastals and Dimonds becasue it was similar to both, infact they got the name intergrades in Pythons of The World by the Barkers if I'm correct, it isn't an official term, I think it's a lot easier if we call them Port Mac Pythons, it saves a lot of confusion.
Intergrade isn't just a term for where diamonds and coastals have overlapped ranges and there's quite a few different Aussie intergrades or intermediates.Also many othe countries other than Australia have intergrades such as kingsnakes.

If that is a wild snake in the area it was found i'm quite sure it's a jungle intergrade.Intergrades are not hybrids.

Its a natural intergrade, its in the zone where the gene flow crosses.Further north at Cardwell you can find nice big coastals with even better jungle colours, while further south at Townsville they are pretty much normal coastal colours(some are brighter) still with plenty of jungle head pattern.

peter, for as long as I can remember the natural occuring diamondxcarpets have been known in oz herp circles as intergrades. Up untill the last decade it seemed to be a name reserved souly for them.

And we are again discusing intergrades. You racist you people. :lol:

It should only be attached to wild populations or source/location known animals in captvity. Anything else is a cross breed

and

While the word intergrade may have been in usage it was not used haphazardly as it is today.

hey peter you are contradicting yourself, one minite your saying only use it for wild populations or source/location known animals in captvity. then your saying the word intergrade may have been in usage it was not used haphazardly as it is today. but when ever anybody says they have what they know is a TRUE INTERGRADE and also know the location of that snake, you and everybody like you come on here talking about an animal you have never seen, why should i hide the fact that i have a REAL intergrade to please people like you,
would you say that a woma isn't a woma because it's now captive bred, or what about a diamond, how about we start calling all captive bred snakes just pet snakes, i challange you to come to my place and look at my intergrade and tell me that i shouldn't use that term, and yes i am a bit angre, i'm sick of people like you and dicco trying to tell me and other people that own intergrades that they should be called crosses,

cheers,
steve.......

what steve6610 ? If I understood what you where on about Id respond. You obviously have no idea what Ive just written, Read it again without adding anything to it and come back to me then and apologise.

Be that as it may Rob, the Barkers put it in writing. Thats the difference. The lit prior to that seems to be lacking. Im quite willing to accept its usage. I own one that I know of and have had it for about that long.

hi peter,
i misunderstood what you meant, you have my apology, i thought you were saying that we shouldn't use the term " intergrade" ,
now i step back and take my chill pill, :oops: :?
i just don't understand why certain people always have a go at people like browns because of their passion for intergrades,

cheers,
steve......

Dicco doesnt like the word because those that have no clue about it use it to describe anything that is not pure, like a lot of pet pythons. A few unscrupulous type use it to sell crosses and now every man and his dog uses it inappropriately to describe their mongrel offspring.
I make no judgement on their pet snakes.
I just think the term should be used appropriately.
I personally cannot understand by people denigrate them. The mid north coast NSW diamonds are probably some of the best looking around. Its just if you say they are intergrades everyone starts say they are the offspring of coastal/diamonds. Theyre not. They are they type that come from that area. An intergrade zone for spiloa ssp. I dont know. It seems straight forward to me Though if you think about it from Cape York to Wilsons Promitory round to the Flinders ranges and back up through western NSW and Qld is just one big line of intergrades of one species.

Peterescue wrote:
if you think about it from Cape York to Wilsons Promitory round to the Flinders ranges and back up through western NSW and Qld is just one big line of intergrades of one species.

You hit the nail on the head Pete. Is there really such thing as a specific "intergrade" in the eastern carpet python? Or is there simply variation in colours and patterns (an intergradation) between the extremes of range for the one species. The term used in the literature was simply to describe a specific range of colour variations and patterns that occur over a particular fraction of the distribution of the east coast carpet python.

Some people believe there are four distinct subspecies in the eastern population of M. spilota (Wells and Wellington's M. s. spilota - Diamond, mcdowelli - Coastal, cheynei - Jungle and metcalfei - the Inland. Others don't accept subspecific status for these contiguous geographic variations in colour and pattern.

So what do we have - nothing more than a colour and pattern of the same species that is typical of a certain geographic location. Talk of intergrades between sub-species that may not exist is shear nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back