Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats the point. unless you knew the breeder then you will never know. you cant tell just by looking at a snake.

You asked for opinions, mine is that its markings remind me of a bredli slightly but obviously the colours dont match up , dp's is that it is possible to be a darwin, majority of others are that its a coastal
Nobody will be able to tell you 100% unless they bred it.

Someone on here has a signature along the lines of 'a wise snake knows its own parents' in other words, if you dont know what the adults are that were used to breed it, then anything else is just guessing.

Search 'diamond or intergrade' you will get a bunch of threads asking about purity of snakes, read the posts, you will get the drift ;)

if it turnd out to be a coastal or darwin and i got a partner why would that be so bad to breed. just because im a bit unsure why does that make it a hybrid.
it doesnt make your snake a hybrid, but it make snakes bred from your snake possible hybrids since you dont know 100% what your snake is.

Last edited:
Could be anything.I can see a few different influences in it,so much so that I would say it's a cross of some sort.

i have a coastal that looks just like that. and people used to think she had bredli in her or even darwin some people said. but i'm 99.99% she's a coastal and i'm 99.99% sure yours is too. if you'd like to see for comparison, my coastal is on my page in my snakes photo album.

Could be anything.I can see a few different influences in it,so much so that I would say it's a cross of some sort.
Exactly,my first impression was Darwin,then a closer look changed my mind to Coastal,i can certaintly see what all the fuss is about...

Easy to see why, until 1984, the Darwin and the coastal were not separately recognised and both were classified as the same sub-species (Morelia spilota variegata). Pity there isn't a DNA test yet!

IMO I can't see darwin, looks more likely to be coastal, wait and ask again in 6-12 mths when it has more of it's adult coloring. What are you keeping at, temp wise? If it's a darwin they like it a little warmer than a coastal likes it. We have a baking spot at 35c for our darwin, but I think coastals would only like 30-32c.

IMO it looks more darwin like than coastal, but there are so many variations out there even in the wild. I'd go and ask the pet shop where you got it from & look at the parents, never know. Definately don't think bredli. The patterns are more Darwin (NT) carpet, could be the runt of the litter!

It looks like my syd amd he is a coastal diamond cross . Has the same colour and large blotches They have a good nature .

The majority of keepers cannot trace their snakes back to wild caught origins and so rely upon what they are told by "where they got their snakes from". I believe some, and Irepeat some not all breeders, keepers or petshops are not sure what the animals are and so the confusion is perpetuated.
Our original Darwins came from reptile rescues within 100km of Darwin, mainly around Humpty Doo and I have seen hatchlingsfrom them, that look like the one pictured, but I have also seen hatchlings that throw like back and gold banded animals and some that throw towards black and white Cape Yorks. In any population there is diversity.
That snake looks like a great pet!

IMO it looks more darwin like than coastal, but there are so many variations out there even in the wild. I'd go and ask the pet shop where you got it from & look at the parents, never know. Definately don't think bredli. The patterns are more Darwin (NT) carpet, could be the runt of the litter!

I wasnt saying its a bredli, i was saying it looks as if it has some bredli in it.

Wokka's got the right idea, it will make a nice pet.

its clearly a morelia idontknowus tohardtotellus :p

id say costal at first glance tho but it doesshow some destinctive bredli and darwin patterns. (wich doesnt mean anything really) point is your never going to be more than like 65% sure what its liniage is.

thats what i like to call a pet snake champ not worth breeding. and if you do decide to breed with it anyway sell the snakes as what they are potential x'd carpet pythons

Our original Darwins came from reptile rescues within 100km of Darwin, mainly around Humpty Doo and I have seen hatchlings from them, that look like the one pictured, but I have also seen hatchlings that throw like back and gold banded animals and some that throw towards black and white Cape Yorks. In any population there is diversity.
So the male i got from you originated from around the Humpty Doo area Wokka.By the way he is doing extremely well,he is close to 5.5foot and weighs 1.5kg,he is a very placid animal.

Ge, I thought it was an albino het Leucistic BHP x GTP.......oops. Back to the old threads on here to learn more.

Nice snake

Our original Darwins came from reptile rescues within 100km of Darwin, mainly around Humpty Doo and I have seen hatchlings from them, that look like the one pictured, but I have also seen hatchlings that throw like back and gold banded animals and some that throw towards black and white Cape Yorks. In any population there is diversity.
So the male i got from you originated from around the Humpty Doo area Wokka.By the way he is doing extremely well,he is close to 5.5foot and weighs 1.5kg,he is a very placid animal.

Its parents did !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back