Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A green python may have been seen. Most likely an escapee that will soon perish. As has been said, the winters are too cold. There are area's of perfectly suitable habitat in Cape York where they do not exist.

Temporary escapees maybe.... a wild population - impossible!

pics or it didnt happen

Say that all you want, i don't need to answer to you. No one would believe i have an albino water dragon if i didn't show pics, but the fact is i have 1....Pics or not.

A green python may have been seen. Most likely an escapee that will soon perish. As has been said, the winters are too cold. There are area's of perfectly suitable habitat in Cape York where they do not exist.

Temporary escapees maybe.... a wild population - impossible!
Thats what the general idea is,,,it obviously wouln't have naturally lived there.. But, I'm not going to say 100% didn't happen.. Only fools are positive. That being said. Burmese pythons are also triopical snakes...And now live in many non tropical areas of the world....Ever been to burma? Very diffrent climate to new orleans, but they manage to live there too

wtas to say there isnt a gtp in sydney there are plenty of warm places for a gtp to live its not impossible to believe there might be one in sydney there have been sightings of panthers in vic

re Wild

Only On The Internet ???????????????????????

Dont be so sure JF,its all happened before,a flying saucer lands on top of thick canopy rainforrest at iron range and the occupants gather the gtps as pets because they are green too,they visit sydney at night and decide the flying foxs make better pets cause they hang upside down and pull funny faces through the space craft windows.:)

Ok people swallow this. If a burmese python found natually in the tropical rainforest of south east asia, can and does survive the cold (colder than sydney) winters of florida, than there is no reason to dismiss out of question the idea that another tropical snake can survive in sydney. 100 % that

wtas to say there isnt a gtp in sydney there are plenty of warm places for a gtp to live its not impossible to believe there might be one in sydney there have been sightings of panthers in vic

I think most of the naysayers are simply suggesting the likelihood of a self-sustaining population of green tree pythons surviving in Sydney for the last 20 years is virtually non-existent.

No one's going to say that it's impossible for a GTP to escape and be seen in Sydney - it clearly is. But as others have said, the climate down there would more than likely kill them over winter.

I don't know if the original poster was indeed saying that the story is they've been there for 20 years, but that's certainly what it sounded like.

Stewart

Hi addy,

Florida is in the tropics..

Is this North Sydney suburb you are talking about Narrabeen by any chance?

Elanora, both examples are from two streams and 'moist and sheltered' on either side of powder works road. Narrabeen has way too many off license animals its incredible. if it was a corn found in narrabeen i would beleive it. kinda like forestville..

these 'findings' date back to 20 odd years ago, so im still skeptical. tho i could see a green tree snake being mistaken, but a diamond i must say no too. the guy who says he's seen the adult GTP owns a diamond so i think he very much knows the difference.

the possibility of a green tree snake seems more probable.. thanks for all the comments everyone.

i love the albino water dragon example, that thread was hilarious. must have been a few red faces that day. hows he going? (you can pm me..)

re Wild

They survive the winter,there is a herd of wild indian elephants living in a reserve at MT Druitt,they survive by withdrawing into the thick tropical rainforrest near the dole office :)

I think most of the naysayers are simply suggesting the likelihood of a self-sustaining population of green tree pythons surviving in Sydney for the last 20 years is virtually non-existent.

No one's going to say that it's impossible for a GTP to escape and be seen in Sydney - it clearly is. But as others have said, the climate down there would more than likely kill them over winter.

I don't know if the original poster was indeed saying that the story is they've been there for 20 years, but that's certainly what it sounded like.

Stewart

i agree the likelyhood is considerably a slim chance, but why not possible? do the people who keep GTP's down here use constant night heat?

the first was a generation ago. im assumign 20 years. but these were sent to the zoo. all three hatchling/juvies. i doubt the zoo would admit it these days but ill have a chat to those people again... if a shingle can be seen at botony bay, and a central beardie can live on the northern beaches without human attention. then i beleive there is a slim chance.

i realise ive never kept GTP's so i wouldnt know about what they can stand in terms of temps and survival. but how many of you saying 'no way' have kept them sucessfully.

i agree the likelyhood is considerably a slim chance, but why not possible?

Hi Kirby,

A slim chance means that it might be possible.

Diamond pythons can obviously survive that far south, and we all know that green tree pythons are just funny-coloured (and horrifically overpriced) carpets, so I would definitely not say it's impossible, just improbable.

Stewart

They survive the winter,there is a herd of wild indian elephants living in a reserve at MT Druitt,they survive by withdrawing into the thick tropical rainforrest near the dole office :)

But they also have a mullet cut (ape drape)to keep their back warm! :)

But it is the winters that everyone is crying about.

Despite Florida being in the tropics, Winter temps in the Everglades average around 12 deg. C. The Burmese python has a much greater range (both geographic and climatic) than the green tree python does, so it might be that Burmeses are already relatively cold-adapted.

Earlier this year The USGS actually released a study on Burmese pythons as an invasive species. The study has a map of the area of the US in which climate probably wouldn't prevent Burms from establishing.

Stewart

Imagine having your GTP escape! Wouldn't you feel imcompetant. And then you hear its breeding! Oh Lordy.....

Despite Florida being in the tropics, Winter temps in the Everglades average around 12 deg. C. The Burmese python has a much greater range (both geographic and climatic) than the green tree python does, so it might be that Burmeses are already relatively cold-adapted.

Earlier this year The USGS actually released a study on Burmese pythons as an invasive species. The study has a map of the area of the US in which climate probably wouldn't prevent Burms from establishing.

Stewart

It's not that greater range, winter temps in florida go as low as 6-7'c Much lower than anything in south east asia.. Animals do a great job of adapting..I'm not saying GTP have done so, I'm just trying to explore the poissibilities instead of dismissing out of hand. Any scientist would do the same. Nothing is ever acheived by saying "Didn't happen".

Yeah, I've seen the Pather near my place, I think it was hunting Dodos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back