Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favourites of all time...

"My mate/brother/uncle/neighbour has a carpet python. It's about 3 metres long and he just lets it roam freely around the house because it eats all the rats and mice. Doesn't have a cage or anything."

I was even subjected to this as recently at 1 week ago... my hairdresser talking about her brother... I just nodded and agreed... after all, she was the one with the sharp utensil near my head.

When i lived in tully, at night you could hear the snakes moving in the roof at night and at times you would see them in the house. They weren't pets though..

What about the milk one? That they're attracted to milk

lol despite the flames im going to get from this, it has been seen, when the snake drinks milk from a cow's teat.

flame suit on :p

ps Roald Dahl has a short story in which a Mamba does just that. it then proceeds bites a mentally disabled labourer who then dies painfully... kinda sad.

Hi all,
I thought I would try and explain where some of these myths originated from. There are a few things to remember – the average person cannot tell the difference between a lizard and a snake. It will be re-accruing statement thought this post.

warren63
If a snake is scared it will grab its tail and roll away

This is true for the Armadillo lizard – see the links below. People are just applying what a lizard does to a snake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo_Lizard
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/armadillo_lizard.htm

SlothHead
Snakes dislocate their jaws to eat prey

SlothHead – don’t split hairs – for the average person (Who is not into snakes or does not have a degree in biological or medical sciences) saying dislocating the jaw is close enough.

Jozz
If you put a big prickly rope around your campsite, they won't go over it

Jozz this will work – A snake will not enter your campsite – wild snakes are scared of you. There will not be any prey at the site so there is no reason for them to enter. It will work by making people feel a ease a snake will not enter.

Nelly
"My mate/brother/uncle/neighbour has a carpet python. It's about 3 metres long and he just lets it roam freely around the house because it eats all the rats and mice. Doesn't have a cage or anything."

Nelly I have heard of much larger snakes been kept in sores in India, Thailand and other countries. I have seen sea snakes kept in temples and other places. I have heard repots of a 3 meter Scrub Python been given the roam of the house. The snake would curl up next to the wood fire near the front door and strike out at strangers. I will come back to this later in this post.

When growing up I once found a brown snake in the house (It was caught on the end of a dead mouse in a mouse trap). That dispels the heart beat myth. I think it was living in the house for some time before it got stuck on the mouse.

dickyknee
Sister inlaw told me if you chop a snake in half it just grows it's body back ........

Dickyknee yeah this is true for the legless lizard tail – I am sure you would agree a legless lizard looks much like a snake. Again people getting confused between lizards and snakes.

redbellybite
Yeah I often hear people calling common brown – King Brown. Just tell them – great it will be easier to remove because it is not as deadly. I have heard people say that common browns turn into king browns when they become large

elapid@
Mate when i was a kid i picked up wild tigers, blacks browns with my bare hands and let them slide all over me. They just never bit me, must be because they new i was a kid and i wasn't scared. if i was to do it know they probably bite me cause im bigger and they can smell my fear.

I know one guy who got the cane for putting a tiger snake in his pocket to hide it from the teacher – the teacher put his hand in picket and pulled out a snake. But seriously this person probably was handling a small brown/tiger/black or legless lizard. As a kid I have photos of me and a few snakes, lost a brown snake in my jacket when I stuck it in my pocket.

cris
Snakes like to be handled and have personal bonds with humans.

Some say they only tolerate been handled. I disagree with this statement – I have found some captive reptiles tend to seek out human company – I have seen this with my own and other people’s pets. My pets will seek out my girlfriend who then carries them around the house like a pet dog/cat. I once saw her with pet in one hand while she was cooking dinner, writing emails on computer…. When I put the pets on the ground – they will search the house for her. I have four rooms – bedroom, study, kitchen and living room. I put the pets on the ground in the living room. They will then go to the room where my girlfriend is or was just before she left the house (I think they follow smell). If this is not a bond, then what is? On the flip side of the coin, I have also seen some animals that hate been handled – it really depends on the animal – this goes for pet mammals, birds and reptiles. Your snake will tell you if it does not like been handled – it is your responsibility to act accordingly.

Snake get use to you – as I mentioned above – they will treat strangers differently than the owners. When away I went overseas my reptilian pets were very quiet and when I returned they were lively again. (Basically were happier). Snakes do form bonds with humans or at a minimum get use to/recognise their owners.

I have read (Not sure how true, but have no reason to not believe) about owner who sleep with their pet three meter Burmese python. I can see this happening as the bed would be the warmest place for the snake to stay the night.

The bottom line is (Some) snakes like a change and enjoy interaction with humans.

Snakes are cunning or smart
I would not say cunning or smart – but more they will do things by instinct that we think is cunning or smart.

Brown snakes chasing ppl long distances
I have seen a Brown trying to strike out at me at 20+ meters. But chaise – they will not travel much faster than a walk – most people can easily out run a snake.

Snakes can hypnotise their prey
Ok this one is interesting – snakes can be seen in a stand off with a bird. Where it will be sitting there and the bird (or other animal – I use bird as an example because I have witnessed this with a black bird) will stand there staring at snake waiting for it to strike (So it can get out of its way). This can go on for some time (minutes). This can be interpreted as hypnotism by some.

Snakes can be trusted
Umm all animals are unpredictable and the trust has its limits. Snakes – they are more predictable than trust worthy. This means they will “Warn” you before striking and if you know what you are looking then you can get out of their way. Pythons can be trusted not to bite their owner once they “bond” with their owner.

Brown snakes chasing ppl long distances
I have seen a Brown trying to strike out at me at 20+ meters. But chaise – they will not travel much faster than a walk – most people can easily out run a snake.

brown snakes move at walking pace, thats a good myth or you must walk very fast :lol: not that its likely to be a problem if you arnt a prey item.

Miss_Croft, I completely agree with you. My favourite spotted follows me around my room (I don't let her go on the floor of the main house (I have a three-year old brother and a jack russell) and I trust her implicity not to bite me, even when I accidently forgot to wash my hands after handling rats.

My pets will seek out my girlfriend who then carries them around the house like a pet dog/cat. I once saw her with pet in one hand while she was cooking dinner, writing emails on computer….
My wife is convinced that our stimmie, who comes out of the cage to "greet" her likes being handled. She also will be sittign at the computer with the snake round her neck etc. I think when the stimmie is coming out of the enclosure she is exploring/looking for food: once when i gently pushed her head back in she bit me! and when she is sitting on my wife she is just comfortably warm and unthreatened.

However, if it works for us to believe that snakes like to be handled so be it. It is not so much a myth in my opinion but an interpretation of their behaviour.

cris
I am yet to see a brown snake that can travel faster than me - Either when I chase (And catch it) or other wise. About the fastest I have seen was the one that was trying to strike at me from over 20 meters away. When I let it out of the bag away from houses (And people) about 100 meters up the road it took off like a rocket – but still not much faster than walking pace (5-6 km/ph) I can could still easily out run the snake. Swimming is a whole new ball game - Browns are faster in the water than on land.

llasher
What you have described is your stimmie is not threatened or is oblivious to been handled and you trust her. I think reptiles like most animals enjoy interaction with their surrounding (Including been handled by humans) like they do naturally in the wild. And yes I agree they are probably searching for food or a better sunning spot (like taking the heat from their owners while been handled.

when i first got my coastal my 17 year old brother kept telling me to whatch out when im holding it cause if i get bitten ill have to go to hospital. i told him about pythons but he still kept telling me that it will make me sick. lol some people never learn.:D:D

ohhhhh i hate that one,
sooo many people have told me 'my <insert friend or relative here> has a huge one and lets it roam freely around the house'

oh, and the one that goes
' my mate has a huge one about 3 metres and it follows him around the house like a puppy'

:|:|:| some people... at least they arent saying they are killing them though haha

hey I'm not joking... we did have an albino carpet named Lulu in Dubai she wasn't kept in a cage or any kinda enclosure... she was free around the house and she slept under the sofa ... but but but.... i know its a silly idea to keep a snake like that... and this is when i was a kid...besides she was my granpa's baby... and she never chased mice or rats cos we had none... we used to feed her in the bath... well so i guess thats not myth that a snake can live freely in the house... is it safe or not... thats totally another question hey? :p

Now this is what I call a Myth haha...

once upon a time there was this man who had a best friend king cobra which he used to call out for when he needed... upon his calling the king cobra would rush out of its hidding cave full of the most precious gems in the world that he guarded and granted any wish the man had... but anyway one day the snake decided that he was too hungry and he made a lovely soup out of his indian friend and invited all his friends over and had a awesome party... from then on he was the most popular snake in that forest and they all lived happily ever after

Attachments

• cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 57
hey I'm not joking... we did have an albino carpet named Lulu in Dubai she wasn't kept in a cage or any kinda enclosure... she was free around the house and she slept under the sofa ... but but but.... i know its a silly idea to keep a snake like that... and this is when i was a kid...besides she was my granpa's baby... and she never chased mice or rats cos we had none... we used to feed her in the bath... well so i guess thats not myth that a snake can live freely in the house... is it safe or not... thats totally another question hey? :p

I didn't think there were any albino carpets back then. From my limited information an Albino carpet was first discovered in Australia in the mid 1990's. And wasn't bred for several years after that as it spent its first 7 years in a Zoological park in NT. And it was 5 or so years later that any offspring were available for sale to the public.

Maybe you meant a Burmese :p

I didn't think there were any albino carpets back then. From my limited information an Albino carpet was first discovered in Australia in the mid 1990's. And wasn't bred for several years after that as it spent its first 7 years in a Zoological park in NT. And it was 5 or so years later that any offspring were available for sale to the public.

Maybe you meant a Burmese :p

yea i guess it was a burmese python... hehe.... :oops:

disasterpiece7.0, no offence mate but sorry thats rubbish, carpets DONOT get anywhere near 6m, i think maybe you ment 6 feet.??

Amazonian, i think you may have it around the wrong way, as aspidities are supposidly in the process of evloving to be able to use venom.

Miss Croft, hahaha, alot of what you have said imo is absolute rubbish, ie prickly rope, handling etc to name a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back