Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will get some going, but is a favourite of mine,

Snakes dislocate their jaws to eat.
Lol, theres a can of worms but here is another..
They need uv

Lots of people who have never touched a snake get a surpise when they find out they are not slimy but feel dry and warm

their jaws are connected by tendons and ligaments that strech to open their mouth wide
i think its called disarticulation but correct me if im wrong

their jaws are connected by tendons and ligaments that strech to open their mouth wide
i think its called disarticulation but correct me if im wrong

Same as the use of the terms "cold-blooded" and "hibernation". Not really quite accurate but the general idea is right... I suppose it is just a simplified way to describe somthing that is really quite complex.

One of my favourites of all time...

"My mate/brother/uncle/neighbour has a carpet python. It's about 3 metres long and he just lets it roam freely around the house because it eats all the rats and mice. Doesn't have a cage or anything."

I was even subjected to this as recently at 1 week ago... my hairdresser talking about her brother... I just nodded and agreed... after all, she was the one with the sharp utensil near my head.
Scoff all you like and call it a myth if you like but this was exactly the case some 35 years ago in my home for a period of about 4 years with a family of about 14 at the time. It turned up at the end of siblings beds, in washing machines, along curtain rails and around the bottom of loos among other places, but it was not caged and lived quite happily on whatever it could find in the ceiling most of the time.

Cloethepython thats correct, the term is disarticulate.

Their jaws are connected by a bone, called the quadrate bone.

So there is no "Technically they dislocate" their jaws, The simple fact is they dont - there is no arguement, that is just science, if you want to argue, call the local uni and talk to the bio professor there.

The Quadrate effictively gives the jaw a second hinging point, ergo allowing the snake to open the jaw different to how we would open it.

Actually the snake skull has a number of hinging points which we dont, which would be bloody cool if we did

I forgot about the tiger snake python hybrids :lol:
Common tree snakes are non venomous
Brown snakes will never ever attack ppl in defence

One of my favourites of all time...

"My mate/brother/uncle/neighbour has a carpet python. It's about 3 metres long and he just lets it roam freely around the house because it eats all the rats and mice. Doesn't have a cage or anything."

I was even subjected to this as recently at 1 week ago... my hairdresser talking about her brother... I just nodded and agreed... after all, she was the one with the sharp utensil near my head.

Did you ever think that a house or shed full of rats, mice, possums etc. is a perfect place for a carpet snake to live, sure it is most likely only 2.something meters but its hardly a myth, infact it is very common for them to live in such places. What evidence or reasoning do you have to suggest carpet snakes cant live in ppls houses?

Cloethepython thats correct, the term is disarticulate.

Their jaws are connected by a bone, called the quadrate bone.

So there is no "Technically they dislocate" their jaws, The simple fact is they dont - there is no arguement, that is just science, if you want to argue, call the local uni and talk to the bio professor there.

The Quadrate effictively gives the jaw a second hinging point, ergo allowing the snake to open the jaw different to how we would open it.

Actually the snake skull has a number of hinging points which we dont, which would be bloody cool if we did

It still is a dislocation really, disarticulate is just more accurate word to use. I couldnt be bothered quoting a dictionary and argueing though. Ever noticed how snakes have to reposition after eating?

snake boy,- ive even heard some blokes that do snake shows at fairs/schools etc say that but imo its a load of hog wash. Their argument is that redbellies eat other snakes, well browns do to when they feel the need.
Hell blacks and browns are commonly found in the same areas.

As slothhead has said its because of the quadrate bone that they are able to do this, its an extension not a dislocation.

Ok i may be wrong, but if there is no dislocation what are they doing after they eat when it appears they are repositioning their mouth? I realise its not like when a human gets a dislocated shoulder and its all flopping about.

Here on the mornington peninsula the copperhead is the snake eater and we quite often get called out to remove these from properties.
Sometimes, when the client is phobic, we can put their mind at ease by saying things like,copperheads eat tiger snakes, (not untrue).
Wether this means they wont see a tiger is negligable but a lot of snake removals require placating the client.
Copperheads and tigers definitly share the same environments in a lot of areas on the peninsula and generally they both eat skinks, frogs and rodents with the tigers being partial to birds and bird eggs as well while the copperheads will gladly take a snake.
Also i quite often get asked if bluetongues on a property will mean the absence of snakes..I tell them this is untrue as most local tigers and copperheads will take small bluetongues.
Big bluies will of course make a meal out of young snakes as well.

Snakes love milk and drink it from cows udders. The shear size of most snakes / goannas people see ( I must be looking in the wrong spots), one side of he road to the other..... . Snakes chasing people around cars and biting the tyres ect, Frillies living on farms in western NSW, and they are NOT bearded dragons, Inbreeding from blacks and browns, taipans and pythons ect. Snake "nests" that seem to be uncovered all the time, parental snakes (found a baby , mother must be close by) Any snake that is brown and over four foot, tends to be a King Brown (well it does sound more venomous than "common"). all small species of snake like golden crowns, whips ect, are always baby blacks and browns.

Thats interesting Baz i suspected such myths were slightly misleading propaganda to make ppl like having the snakes around. It works too i have heard of ppl saying how good it is to have rbbs around when normally they would probably kill them if they didnt think they were keeping browns away.

whilst they will eat each other, red bellies do have more of a reptilian diet and the average probably does swing there way, but who cares, I'd tell "normal" people anything to stop them chopping inoffensive RBB's up

very true baz, copperheads are canabilistic, but so are tigers, they love a good feed on another snake as well.
Most of our large elapids will eat other snakes, some more prone to it than others, ie mulgas, copperheads, rrbs and tigers. I spose because we have such a small amount of mamalian fauna compared to ampibians and reptiles, this is pretty normal. It seems like the taipans are about the only large species that dosnt.

ive been told that eastern brown snakes breed with carpet pythons, and that the offspring look like carpet pythons except are browns :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back