Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my aunty still insists that there was a 5 plus meter diamond python removed from her BBQ, in brisbane, and thats only because her my uncle and the snake catcher measured it. Well if that is true lets all go herping in Waterford to find it, Jonno may give me that carton of beer if we find it!!!!!

Work colleague
"you should see the snakes in Florida! The chase you down and want to kill ya"

Hey they do ! just go down to the red light district in Miami and see for yourself lol

Over here we have some weird ones -- That a black racer can grab its tail forming a loop or hoop and roll after you- that one has even made it into books with illustration lol

This one is for a snapping turtle but just as weird .. that if one bites you(they do hold on) that it wont let go till it thunders !! must really suck if you happen to get bit during a drought !!

That even if you cut off a snakes head it can still live for 24 hours lol

We have a bunch of other strange ones as I imagine every place does as people make up stuff about thing they fear or don't understand.. Randy

Sister inlaw told me if you chop a snake in half it just grows it's body back ........

well when i go and remove snakes from people that call me ,the stories of how the browns chased their husband /relo or how the dog was bitten 10 times on the face and all they did was throw the dog in the dam ,dog survived, of course! how brown tree snakes can mate with eastern browns and become highly venomous how pythons cross breed with browns and become lethal that way and how every time i get a call out its always "theres a king brown !" when i explain that a king brown isnt really a brown snake they say oh but it was brown in colour........then explain to them that the king brown is actually a mulga which belongs to the black snake family ........and can anyone tell me what the hell is a swamp tiger cause so many people in the gympie region have either been bitten by it chased by it and the rest ..........i think it may be a stephans banded but i have never been called out to be able to identify ...so i just nod my head get the snakes in the bag and let them think they know . redbellybite..

The diamonds the ones you gotta watch, they have been seen mating with the tiger snakes. Only a good snake is a dead snake. the diamonds x tigers come into the shed at night to lay there eggs. diamond x tigers come out in one form. Its been happening in the past twenty years, you really got to stay your distance cause they will chase you from over 100 m away. the venom is most dangerous in the world, Also they have a fang on the back of there tail, (secondary fang) thats where most of the venom is kept. our dog died from the bite off a diamond python, thats when we new that they do have venom.

ozzie python,_ thats impossible because diamonds arnt found in brisbane, the only pythons found there are spotteds and coastal carpets, besides diamonds and carpets dont grow anywhere near 5 plus meters.
The snake catcher your aunty used was obviously completely clueless.

redbellybite,-- there is no such snake as a swamp tiger, but keel backs are the main snake that gets called this name, and the occasional roughie. (rough scaled snake).

ozzie python,_ thats impossible because diamonds arnt found in brisbane,

That was my first thought Rob, if they did grow that big, what the hell was it doing in Brisbane. Snake catcher was obviously useless or the aunty needs her eye's and ears checked.

besides diamonds and carpets dont grow anywhere near 5 plus meters.

Diamonds maybe not, I've seen the skin of a coastal found round glasshouse mts that was just under 6m though. It's possible, but certainly doesn't happen very often.

I agree with you though, no chance it was a diamond up here.

Diamonds maybe not, I've seen the skin of a coastal found round glasshouse mts that was just under 6m though. It's possible, but certainly doesn't happen very often.

I agree with you though, no chance it was a diamond up here.

Python "skins" do stretch around a 1/4 of ther original length. My large carpet sheds 12ft skins all the time. (this is not a myth.

huh? :? LOL

Recent studies have proven that Aspidites are venomous but have evolved into no longer needing this defense so they lack fangs etc. Apparently a bite from an Aspidite shows up as positive for tiger snake venom.

Interesting hey?
Bearded dragons are too, apparently carrying the same toxins as rattlesnakes, only much smaller doses which are harmless to anything weighing more than 5-10grams.

Last edited:
Recent studies have proven that Aspidites are venomous but have evolved into no longer needing this defense so they lack fangs.

Interesting hey?
Bearded dragons are too, apparently carrying the same toxins as rattlesnakes, only much smaller doses which are harmless to anything weighing more than 5-10grams.

Were did you hear that?
Be interested in a link if you have one?

thats really unusual ... yes very interesting, so my lil Hercules is venomous :p haha

Am sure you will find plenty of info via gogle.
I just searched "venomous australian lizards" and found the following:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8331
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200511/s1508747.htm
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...p/2005/11/18/1132016950597.html?oneclick=true

Cant seem to find the study info on Aspidites though.
Am sure there was a post or 2 regarding it on this site as well as others.
ETA: I found these:

http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1247521,1247521
http://www.kingsnake.com/toxinology/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3032
http://www.moreliapythons.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5604&highlight=aspidites+venomous

Last edited:
Another one i have herd people talk themselves up about there pet snakes when they lived on the land.

Mate when i was a kid i picked up wild tigers, blacks browns with my bare hands and let them slide all over me. They just never bit me, must be because they new i was a kid and i wasn't scared. if i was to do it know they probably bite me cause im bigger and they can smell my fear.

( i just go along with it and go (O REALLY Jeez your brave, lucky too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back